Shark fin aerial - 2015 Avant Black Ed.

TVRV8S

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a 2015 Avant in black. Even though the sat nav was working last week, on the day I bought it the sat nav stopped working. No satellites found and an open circuit fault found with the code reader.

Seems the aerial fails, but I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for on eBay- part numbers, etc

Can anyone advise please?

I had a similar issue with my 2005 A6 and found that Audi use the same shark fin on lots of different models so just buy any one. It also looks the same as my current 2016 A6. The only issue is that some have shorter leads but you can easily buy an extension cable.

Also, if you carefully lift the foam on the underside of the fin itself you can unscrew the cover. This means you can buy one in any condition or colour and reuse your current cover.

If you want to be sure it's the fin that's failed you can by very cheap GPS receivers to plug in and test with but I would be careful with the cheap replica fins.

Thanks Tim. It seems that there are different suffix letters on the part number depending on what options are in the car.

I won't know which mine is until I take it off, and then begins the hunt.

I'm hoping that just the gubbins under the cover can be replaced without needing to run any cables anywhere. I'm hoping it's just a straight swap.

Interesting that you can reuse the cover. Thanks. That should make it easier to source a replacement.

Sharkfin can be replaced, they come with fakras to unplug.

Usually they gave options of, phone, GPS & remote heater, either with 1 or combo of options.

Some cars don't use sharkfins for GPS, they use a separate antenna sheet like a5 cabs for obvious reasons.

If you find 1 with all options, you can use this & don't plug in the missing options, won't harm.

As advised, try a magnetic cheap puck unit to see if this works, then it'll prove where the issue is.