ShaneBe's S3 Build

So update: (well not really)

Went to fit the BCS turbo back today after removing the OEM exhaust realised i didn't have any new gaskets (stupid mistake on my part) so couldn't fit this.
After looking at removing and fitting the new downpipe we realised this isn't something we could do on axle stands, so will be taking down to our friends to fit next week.

Then it started raining.

Next purchase is the Revo intake should have this in the next couple of weeks I would say.

Well personally it was a revelation, i had the later basket, stock type and i changed it out of desperation as i had been getting a engine check light (rich at idle bank1)
The car had been in to the garage half a dozen times and no one could put the light out for more than 100 miles, i had a new fuel pump, oil pick up, catch tank Charcoal filter and solenoid valve in attempts to put that Bl"**dy light out :), i also had trouble with the exhaust smoking when i booted it.
I changed the DV just because it was cheap thing to try and hey presto...the car stopped smoking, the warning light went out and the car seemed to gain about 30bhp !!.......
I have not had any trouble since but its only been 8 months. The stock DV is so cheap i would try that and then if it solves a problem maybe splash out on a DV+

Reactions: S.
In goes the Wagner . It was my winter project and so did a bit when I fancied. I am lucky in that the car is not my daily driver
49A85C57 1723 4EA7 8DC8 A288A0CDA987
188E68B7 6703 4391 9B5B 37D82BAEE364
41784E58 03BC 4D97 A8FB E8DFDBE8FC97

Reactions: ShaneBe, fernando young and S.
Reactions: samuelh_888
That engine bay is very clean!

Wagner looks awesome! What sort of temps are you getting with it and what map (power wise) you getting?

Haha, everyone laughs at my engine bays. Whilst the mileage is low, I have always kept my engine bay spotlessly clean. Got it from my Dad really.
Here is my 20 year old GTI at 123,000 miles which is my daily driver. Photo just taken.

The S3 is running APR stage 2+. When it was dynoed after flashing the BHP was only 365. Since then I have fitted a Revo intake and a RS4 valve. I still have the standard catback coupled to an APR downpipe. Lots of APR stage 2+ cars seem to runnabout 380 BHP with all the correct hardware. Only need a full BCS in order to release the max now I have the Wagner. A trip to RTech would produce higher figures but I like how the APR software drives in that there is still something there at lower revs

Last edited:
Neuspeed P Flo, much narrower than the Revo but probably better made.

Interesting, I am looking to see if anyone has high numbers with a VWR.

yes that's what i have just wondered if it was restrictive. no fit issues with these, real quality, takes half an hour to fit but not cheap!

IMG 20171004 132032

Last edited:
yes that's what i have just wondered if it was restrictive. no fit issues with these, real quality, takes half an hour to fit but not cheap!

View attachment 153400

I had to adapt the bracket that attaches to the front so it sat properly, cut away some of my TTS engine cover and move some pipes to the left of the canister so they don't rub.

They are more restrictive than the Revo etc but would like to know how much of a difference it would make at Stage 2+

I would also like to see graphs of differences because at the moment I'm dead set on a revo

The issue is the pipes that have to be moved. There have been reports of coolant elbows snapping or dents being pushed into the “biscuit tin” side due to movement of the engine.

However, I had read recently that the unit has been redesigned due to these problems. It would be worth giving VWR a call at Milton Keynes to see if this is true and then enquire how you can get the modified version if available.

I didnt move any pipes, its possible that people who fitted this to a jetta or a golf had an issue and the powers of social media decided this is a general problem and not a specific problem.
shane , the plus side for VWR is its fully enclosed and takes its air from the front of the car not the engine bay, its well made and its quiet. The Revo however is a lot cheaper. The Revo is claimed to flow better but without a chart that's pretty meaningless because at what point does it flow better 200-400-600bhp or 2k rpm- 4k -6k ?
My thinking is most of these bits of kit will serve the average buyer well and its only when you start looking at going well beyond 2+ that differences will become relevant.
You often see things on forums that are whipped up
I remember when Revo was the map to have, then APR then r-tech, Milltech was the in thing then BCS then everyone had to have a DV+, now people say ohhhh be wary of DV+...You pays ya money and makes your choice.

Reactions: S.
My VWR almost rubbed all the way through a pipe, fortunately my mechanic noticed it just in time. The replacement pipe is now reinforced with another piece of hose on top.

I would go with the Revo unless you want something a little quieter then an enclosed filter such as the VWR would be the way to go.

My VWR almost rubbed all the way through a pipe, fortunately my mechanic noticed it just in time. The replacement pipe is now reinforced with another piece of hose on top.

I would go with the Revo unless you want something a little quieter then an enclosed filter such as the VWR would be the way to go.

As I was saying....

The Revo has problems with the foam filter digging into the back of the headlight and some people have trouble getting the heat shield to fit.
For me, I did not fit the heatshield and I cut the black 90mm aluminium pipe down about 1.0 Cm. I then sourced a cotton green filter to fit in place of the Revo.

99363B80 136B 4ACD B479 F98D63E95AEA

Reactions: Daveyonthemove and samuelh_888
As I was saying....

The Revo has problems with the foam filter digging into the back of the headlight and some people have trouble getting the heat shield to fit.
For me, I did not fit the heatshield and I cut the black 90mm aluminium pipe down about 1.0 Cm. I then sourced a cotton green filter to fit in place of the Revo.

I'm on my second Revo Cone as the headlight cut into the first. The heat shield was a dog to fit and is still missing the left most bolt...

I am struggling to see how the VWR can rub through pipes. it clears them all by 5-10mm but it does touch the TT cover but mine has been fitted for 3-4k miles and hasnt rubbed the paint.
DSC 8039

Its possible i suppose it could rub here on the underside. ? but it clears on mine
DSC 8034

I suppose that's a possibility, it would explain why i cant see the problem others have had.

I am struggling to see how the VWR can rub through pipes. it clears them all by 5-10mm but it does touch the TT cover but mine has been fitted for 3-4k miles and hasnt rubbed the paint.
View attachment 153483
Comparing your photo to mine, it appears your canister sits a lot further forward than mine. Maybe mine needs adjusting on the hose joining the two pipes together but I'm pretty sure it was as far forward as we could get it.

Not sure your box in front of the canister is sitting correctly, there shouldn't be a gap showing on the left, if that sat further forward then your canister would move forward ?

Not sure your box in front of the canister is sitting correctly, there shouldn't be a gap showing on the left, if that sat further forward then your canister would move forward ?
The box at the front is sat the only way possible so maybe they have changed it slightly on newer version.

sorry it has been a while i've been insanly busy.

But update:

BCS turbo back has been fitted HURAYY (i'll upload photos soon) the noise is makes is perfect, not too loud but a nice grunt.
Next i'll be buying the intake (still looking for a bargain used one or one on discount :whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:)

then next month will be a complete detail and service.

I've been reading into clutches and trying to find the best one for (stage 2 or 2+) i have looked at sachs but they seem pricey? coming from a japanese car excedy and oem are always around £250, SACHS seems be around £600?! what is the best clutch and best priced to work with a stage 2 remap (the car is used to road and a few track days)

sorry it has been a while i've been insanly busy.

But update:

BCS turbo back has been fitted HURAYY (i'll upload photos soon) the noise is makes is perfect, not too loud but a nice grunt.
Next i'll be buying the intake (still looking for a bargain used one or one on discount :whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:)

then next month will be a complete detail and service.

I've been reading into clutches and trying to find the best one for (stage 2 or 2+) i have looked at sachs but they seem pricey? coming from a japanese car excedy and oem are always around £250, SACHS seems be around £600?! what is the best clutch and best priced to work with a stage 2 remap (the car is used to road and a few track days)

Please can you remind me which version of the BCS you have gone for? Please can you give detailed info on the sound, any drone as I am very close to pulling the trigger on one of these?

Regarding the clutch, lots of people go for the Helix Organic with DMF.
If you have one of those I highly recomnend you have it fitted by AKS as if there are any problems it will be sorted straight aaay.
Any performance clutch will need bedding in with lots of town type driving. Then the feel will be more OEM but be prepared for a heavier feel as the clamping spring is stronger than OEM

@prt57 - I have the full BCS turbo back with 200cell sports cat and powervalve, and there is zero drone. I don't want ASBO loud but wish I'd gone for the decat but that's one for the future.

@ShaneBe - I went with the Spec Stage 2+ and single mass flywheel. It has a higher torque rating then the Helix or Sachs but that's probably only relevant if you're past Stg2+. Several others inAt Stg2, my std clutch held up fine.
  • SPEC Flywheel - Steel SV87S - £308.89
  • SPEC Clutch Kit - Stage 2 PLUS SV873H-2 - £398.05
I purchased this from an eBay shop F-Squared Performance, the postage was £51.59 and tax was £193.71 so £952.80 all up.

SPEC don't do a dual mass flywheel however I get no chatter from the SMF. Really I should have gone for the Helix and DMF and may even change in the future. I'm less the 1000 miles into running the SPEC so I'll stick with it for now.

@prt57 - I have the full BCS turbo back with 200cell sports cat and powervalve, and there is zero drone. I don't want ASBO loud but wish I'd gone for the decat but that's one for the future.

I am thinking about having the non Powervalve version.
Only trouble, is I can’t get to hear any BCS apart from watching and listening to clips on YouTube.

I have heard a lot of chat on another forum that having the decat can make the car feel a bit flat at low revs as you can lose some of the low down torque. The decat will give you more at the top end but how often are you screaming along at 6.5 K revs.

I am running non powervalve with sports cat.
Describing it I would say it's slightly deeper than oem, sounds nice with no drone! My worry was track dB limits but now I know this is no where near most track limits.

Where are you based? If you're local your more than welcome to hear mine?

I am running non powervalve with sports cat.
Describing it I would say it's slightly deeper than oem, sounds nice with no drone! My worry was track dB limits but now I know this is no where near most track limits.

Where are you based? If you're local your more than welcome to hear mine?

That would be interesting, are you based anywhere near the Midlands?

Gave the S3 a much needed clean.

Cleaned the engine bay as it was a state and I don't think this was ever done by the previous owners!

Engine bay is all clean for the new revo intake to be fitted hopefully should be here tomorrow or Wednesday:yahoo:
20180528 173604
20180528 173810
20180528 164942

Reactions: NevMan