Shakingat 60+mph

alexmarin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Quickie. My A3 8P 2006 is shaking at 60+ mph and stops close to 75-80mph.

I took it for balancing, tracking via Kwik Fit... done the tire pressure to both 35psi and 32 psi for my 18", but it still does. MOT required to change what they're called 'arm brackets (?) and I did...

It's frustrating. I'm thinking of calling Kwik Fit so that thye will redo it, maybe they did not do it well. But what else could be the cause? I would really appreciate it.

Alex

Don't know about change price in your country, but the OEM part alone will cost quite a lot :)

Last edited:
Try another tyre place just to be sure that it's not a just shoddy balancing. A while ago, I had the same problem and went to two different KwikFit branches before going to Just Tyres, who sorted my problem out. JT might just look after their balancing machines better I guess.

As said go to somewhere else other than kwikfit. They wouldn't have a great rep where I'm from!

Thanks guys! Actually I just arranged to go and see them again! They have to have another look for free otherwise I paid £45.45 for nothing! But it's good that there's at least a chance that they're just crap at it! Let's see what happens.

leshkin, would Just Tyres charge the same?

I found Just Tyres to charge only slightly less than KwikFit when I first used them a few years ago, but have never compared them again due to good service and a more friendly approach. I have replaced many tyres through them and never had to go back to re-balance, unlike KwikFit.

As with any chain your local branch might be different, but I wouldn't use KwikFit unless I was desperate and had no other option. I might be wrong to not like them, but a couple of bad past experiences tend to make me stay away for a very long time.

Reactions: alexmarin
Have had this with a mishapen tyre. Jack the car up just enough to spin wheel and place a (straight) piece of wood near tyre - then spin the wheel. If tyre "catches" then there's a raised bit .....

Just a little update.

Went back to Kwikfit and after having another look at all 4 wheels they asked me if I was okay if they switched the rims around while keeping the tyres in the same places, which I agreed with.

After doing that, they told be that because of the scraping and hitting the kerb the rims are slightly bent, and they advised me to speak to someone that does welding etc.. but they said that the shaking shouldn't be as bad as it was.

I left, didn't have to pay anything extra but the shaking has disappeared completely so I think it's done for now!

Reactions: s3_trev