shaking when accelerating

Svizoman

Reaction score
i have a fwd 6 spead manual (2.0tdi with 270k km)and when in 5th or 6th gear with engine rpm under 2.5k (speed 80-100kph) and hit the accelerator i have some shaking. i was suspecting either clutch or dmf but when visited the dealer and went for test drive he said that probably worn inner joints on a half shaft.

my only dilema with that explanation is why there is no shaking even at full throttle when shift to 5th and 6th at higher engine rpm (above 3000). then car only accelerate hard and with no skaking.

as i understand half shafts are extensions from diff that acts as final gear ratio. and for them it does not matter which gear you use, but clutch does feel higher torque at higher gear.
by my understanding itf it is due to worn half clutch inner joint it should shake even at lower gear and higher engine rpm.

Following this post as I have the exact same issue.

Does it shake in 3rd or 4th gear when under 2500rpm and accelerating?

Does it shake in 3rd or 4th gear when under 2500rpm and accelerating?
tested today, no shaking in 3rd or 4th, only in 5th 6th at full throttle round 2000rpm. above 2500 rpm it stops.
i went to the second repair shop also said inner joints are worn and they only change complete halfshat.

but i am wery skeptic about this conclusion as half shafts would shake in any gear wouldn't they?
what if there is problems in gearbox (warn bearing or something) or clutch basket beeing worn - ghey do experience top torque in top gear

but i am wery skeptic about this conclusion as half shafts would shake in any gear wouldn't they?
what if there is problems in gearbox (warn bearing or something) or clutch basket beeing worn - ghey do experience top torque in top gear

Maybe, but there could be a link with the vehicle speed as well which would be faster at 2000rpm in the higher gears. Also, isn't torque usually greater in the lower gears? I think max torque in the 2.0d is between 2000-2500rpm.

Anyway, you've got two places now both saying inner joints. Could be worth starting with the cheapest rather then delving into the transmission? Have they physically inspected the suspension to come to this conclusion? Also, have you checked for any error codes? It's unlikely, but you never know.

Maybe, but there could be a link with the vehicle speed as well which would be faster at 2000rpm in the higher gears. Also, isn't torque usually greater in the lower gears? I think max torque in the 2.0d is between 2000-2500rpm.

Anyway, you've got two places now both saying inner joints. Could be worth starting with the cheapest rather then delving into the transmission? Have they physically inspected the suspension to come to this conclusion? Also, have you checked for any error codes? It's unlikely, but you never know.
they do give you most logical solution by their experience, but as many times they were wrong and they will newer admit that. If it is not shaft they will simply say they were worn but the shaking is due to something else.

However they did go to a test drive and say most likely inner joints but have to leave the car at the shop to inspect further.
BTW that means at least 150$ for just diagnostic and if they do change shafts one shaft costs at the dealer beliewe it or not 1500$ plus labour so go figure (probably end cost will be round 3400$ total)
since you can get descent quality shaft for under 150$ at any car parts store and changing it is not hard I will do it myself if that is the reason, but would like to be sure first. As said have no experience with that, but my simple logics tells me shaft does not "know" in which gear you have and they experience top torque in 1st gear, or at least they will shake also in 3rd or 4th geat if speed is right.

But on the other hand clutch, dmf, diff do experience top torque in 6th gear, and yes engine does produce top torque round 2000 rpm, but it also produces lots of torque up to 3500 rpm.

Ouch! Those are some prices. Yeah, maybe look at doing them yourself, but I would be giving the suspension a real close look first.