Shake on start up (video included)

Rii91

Reaction score

I have a 2.0 tdi dsg
Some times it fails to start or has a longer shake before fully starting?

What can this be, thanks in advance :)

I have a 2.0 tdi dsg
Some times it fails to start or has a longer shake before fully starting?

What can this be, thanks in advance :)

I could put it down to 4 things although there may be others.

Dodgy battery
Engine Mount
Starter motor
Flywheel

Try getting them diagnosed, in that order. Although they may tell you straight away its starter motor, sounds like it to me

All the best

Keep us posted

It had the flywheel done not so long ago.. Could this of been done incorrectly?

It had the flywheel done not so long ago.. Could this of been done incorrectly?

Go back to the Garage that did it, and see what they have to say...

Does it rattle or shake the car when you turn it off? or is it just on start up?

Check your battery, Engine mount

I'd say it's the starter motor mate, but you can't be sure until someone that deals with VAG cars, day in day out, has a look at it.

Go back to the Garage that did it, and see what they have to say...

Does it rattle or shake the car when you turn it off? or is it just on start up?

Check your battery, Engine mount

I'd say it's the starter motor mate, but you can't be sure until someone that deals with VAG cars, day in day out, has a look at it.

just when i turn it on, sometimes the car goes sluggish randomly. The other day I was joining a motorway and the car was struggling to get past 60mph, i don't know if this a related issue?? car seems to drive fine now though??? :S

New video, think its getting worse :(

Reactions: Ash_99
Hello.
I have the same thing but no failed starts.
Have the shake more pronounced when first starting in the morning...

Did you fins the cause?
Let me know.
Thanks.

Hello.
I have the same thing but no failed starts.
Have the shake more pronounced when first starting in the morning...

Did you fins the cause?
Let me know.
Thanks.

Have the exact same issue here. Battery is new, starter is good, my guess is engine mount.

Hi!

I have the exact same issue! did you manage to sort it? if so, what was it? my mechanic told me it was the flyhweel, got it changed and it still does this sometimes....

New video, think its getting worse :(

Sounds like starter related. Get a garage to check the starter motor pulley. It has a clutch mechanism inside that can seize and cause these sort of issues. You may find that the engine seems to struggle a little when idling too.

Hi!

I have the exact same issue! did you manage to sort it? if so, what was it? my mechanic told me it was the flyhweel, got it changed and it still does this sometimes....
Also, change your mechanic :)

Sounds like starter related. Get a garage to check the starter motor pulley. It has a clutch mechanism inside that can seize and cause these sort of issues. You may find that the engine seems to struggle a little when idling too.
Thanks for this, this sounds pretty realistic! I'll have it looked over the weekend. with regards to the flywheel, the engine shakes quite a bit, adding to the starter problem he 'diagnosed' it as the flywheel.. but it still shakes! looks like ill be going back there!

I had the same issue on my old A4 - required the pulley to be replaced at about £70 for the part + labour. It can be a DIY job if you have the tools to remove the starter motor and pulley that is attached to it. It's a relatively simple thing to check too, so you won't lose anything by doing it - the pulley should allow the belt to spin in one direction and engage in the other. If it's busted it will not allow the free spinning motion in one direction and will be causing the axillary belt to wear prematurely.

I had the same issue on my old A4 - required the pulley to be replaced at about £70 for the part + labour. It can be a DIY job if you have the tools to remove the starter motor and pulley that is attached to it. It's a relatively simple thing to check too, so you won't lose anything by doing it - the pulley should allow the belt to spin in one direction and engage in the other. If it's busted it will not allow the free spinning motion in one direction and will be causing the axillary belt to wear prematurely.
did your engine shake considerably on idle? I think this is the issue, but i'll let you know what they say over the weekend.

On mine it was Camshaft position sensor and also two glow plugs. It sorted out after changing.
Also bad MAF can cause problem like this

I had the exact same problem, even after getting a new clutch and flywheel. My starting however was worse after the job, so I took it back to the garage who realised it was a faulty flywheel and changed both clutch and flywheel for me. My starting has gone a lot better but on some occasions does **** about.

Does the start up judder almost feel like it's coming through the gearbox?