Servo..

cuke2u

Reaction score
Got into my car to go to work this morning, for the first time since lockdown in March, and two errors came up. First was to say that the start stop has been disable and the second was reduced assistance on the brake servo. The car hasn't stood still since March as every second week I took it for a 20 mile run and kept the battery in condition with a smart charger. I also did a 56 mile round trip only last week for my pre operation assessment.
Booked in on the 18th, as I need a courtesy car, so will see what they say, as it is over three years old I purchased an extended warranty..

I see the same issue referenced in this thread - i.e. combination of start / stop disable along with reduced assistance on the brake servo (after a period of little use)

https://www.audiownersclub.com/forums/topic/13415-brake-servo-restricted/

"Managed to get an appointment with Audi, quite difficult with the ongoing pandemic, vehicle tech informed that it was the pressure sensor at fault, so had it replaced with now no issues whatsoever. The cost £200 for parts and labour"

Thanks, yes I found that thread as well. With my mechanics head on and from the feel of the pedal when cold starting the engine and then driving the car that's what I would deduce. I will connect my odb11 next week and see if gives up a similar error. My car was been in a not driven for several weeks scenario last year and there was no issue then.

Got in the car today and the error message has gone, took it for a drive and all was OK. Have cancelled the visit to the dealership tomorrow and if it returns will leave it until service is due soon....

Been driving the car all week, no return of the error message. I had plugged in my odb11 and cleared any fault codes, the brake servo sensor being one of them....

Hopefully it was just an electronic glitch.

I remember last year around December my car came up with a headlight warning message, headlight malfunction please see owners manual Or something like that.

Was under warranty they cleared it and it hasn’t returned since.

Would have been painful if it weren’t under the warranty as it’s equipped with matrix lights.

Quite, poor thing complaining about the lack of use. Might actually have to put some petrol in it next week for the first time since Easter..

Last edited:
In at the dealership today for the 4th service and to have the error message looked into. Not driven the car for a few weeks anyway as just had a knee replacement operation...

So yes it didn't take rocket science to work out it was the brake servo sensor that required replacing, all done under the extended warranty I purchased.
With the MOT no real issues, as expected for a car having only done 17100miles. One advisory was to replace the wiper blades as it was claimed they were smearing. Seeing as they were only replaced last October a day before that MOT test I declined. As the car has only done around 2k since the last service it is the buildup of gunge on the screen due to the car mainly sitting not driven under a large ash tree over several months. In fact since lockdown in March I have only driven her for two weeks. Plus she has only had one wash in the past six weeks either..

So yes it didn't take rocket science to work out it was the brake servo sensor that required replacing, all done under the extended warranty I purchased.
With the MOT no real issues, as expected for a car having only done 17100miles. One advisory was to replace the wiper blades as it was claimed they were smearing. Seeing as they were only replaced last October a day before that MOT test I declined. As the car has only done around 2k since the last service it is the buildup of gunge on the screen due to the car mainly sitting not driven under a large ash tree over several months. In fact since lockdown in March I have only driven her for two weeks. Plus she has only had one wash in the past six weeks either..
Thank goodness you were able to sort it out and I hope you're taking it easy with the knee recovery.

Thanks, 4 weeks after the op, driving already so in advance of the normal cycle post op. I always knew I could sort out the car, much easier than people :)

Thanks, 4 weeks after the op, driving already so in advance of the normal cycle post op. I always knew I could sort out the car, much easier than people :)
:-D that's good and funny too. Imagine if you didn't have that kit and you were a novice to cars. The dealers would have tried to fleece you out of your money.

Yeah, connected up ODB11 and it told me the error. Collected the car today, so another round trip to Eastbourne and back but it was nice to get back into it, although my knee did protest a bit at how low the car sat compared to the Q2 we had as a loaner. The Q2 was OK but gruff compared to my A4 and had a harsher ride. I guess it suits some but it's not for us. May well end up keeping the A4 for at least another year, its only done 17200 miles so still young..

Yeah, connected up ODB11 and it told me the error. Collected the car today, so another round trip to Eastbourne and back but it was nice to get back into it, although my knee did protest a bit at how low the car sat compared to the Q2 we had as a loaner. The Q2 was OK but gruff compared to my A4 and had a harsher ride. I guess it suits some but it's not for us. May well end up keeping the A4 for at least another year, its only done 17200 miles so still young..
I know that feeling. The new car syndrome where you need to find your best seating position. Would you ever get an SUV in the future or stick to saloons?

I have always had a poor view of SUV's, they are heavy, belch out CO2 and any that doesn't look like a van with windows or with a degree of interesting performance tend to be expensive. However my failing physical health could dictate.

A Q3 sportback looks somewhat different to most SUV's but my partner took one look at one in the showroom today and quickly stated they're too big for her to drive. I have some interest in going electric and have been looking at different models from different manufacturers and from what I understand more are coming next year.
We shall see, if I can persuade my partner to have a workhorse she can also drive, say the new puma st, so it also gets my juices flowing, and maybe a weekend toy, I will...

I have always had a poor view of SUV's, they are heavy, belch out CO2 and any that doesn't look like a van with windows or with a degree of interesting performance tend to be expensive. However my failing physical health could dictate.

A Q3 sportback looks somewhat different to most SUV's but my partner took one look at one in the showroom today and quickly stated they're too big for her to drive. I have some interest in going electric and have been looking at different models from different manufacturers and from what I understand more are coming next year.
We shall see, if I can persuade my partner to have a workhorse she can also drive, say the new puma st, so it also gets my juices flowing, and maybe a weekend toy, I will...
I understand that. I'm probably going to wait until maybe the late 2020s to switch to electric as I feel as though way too many people are jumping on electric cars a bit too soon without the proper full facilities in place. My friend has a Q3 and it's very roomy inside and high up. I did enjoy sitting in my other friends Q7 (2018 version) and my goodness you're right in terms of how much CO2 it fires out but it was still comfy.

I was so close of getting an A4 B9 S Line this year but I may hold off now until next year due to personal issues.

Reactions: tickedon
from the feel of the pedal when cold starting the engine

What feel does the pedal have? My pedal has started feeling solid on occasion, usually after a few days stood still. Eases off once the engine is started

That feeling is not due to the sensor, a hard brake pedal after the car has been standing would be due to the loss of the vacuum inside the servo. The engine needs to be running before servo assistance happens.
However with mine it was the feel of the pedal when braking...

Reactions: A4 SJC
Hello all,

Similar issue but not sure if I will be very lucky or extremely unlucky...!

Actually driving to Audi dealer this morning for potential warranty work on Bowden cable for passenger door. 35 mile journey on motorway. Message 10 mins in saying "Brake servo restricted - you can continue driving."

66 plate A4 Ultra and approved used warranty actually runs out in 2 weeks - you couldn't make this stuff up! I guess I am now hoping that dealer can replicate the fault and hopefully this is also covered while my vehicle is in. Would not want it to disappear when they investigate and come back when vehicle is no longer in warranty period.

Very worried and anxious - can't really afford to foot a big bill at the moment. Also confused though - most on here mention this occurs when vehicle is stationary for a long period of time. However, I have traveled 1000 miles in the past 7 days???? Extremely confused.

Hopefully the dealership have you covered under the warranty, I don't see why they shouldn't. I am not sure if it is anything to do with the car being laid up and just coincidence. My error message disappeared but then came back after driving it again, so go figure....

Well good news - both items were covered! Very glad and car feels great now!

In the notes they said "G608 pressure sensor fault" if that is of any help to anyone. Dealer also did say that there was no error message on dash when they took it but said it was good that I took the picture and showed them - advice I guess for future people.

:)

Reactions: fireman099 and cuke2u
They only have to attach a code reader and it will come up with a brake sensor fault as even though your wasn't showing the ecu would have it logged. Good news it is all sorted...