Servicing help

T0m

Reaction score
I am looking at doing the next service on my A4 myself what is the best thing to do to get the computer re-set?

Cheers

Tom

TOM
are you anywhere near stafford audi as they do a service,stamp and clock reset for £79.
the parts will cost you nearly that.

im not far from stafford in Tamworth....Beechwood want £320 for the service excluding oil the parts alone are £115

You can reset it yourself to annual service using just the buttons on the dash. It's in the manual. AVS has to be done via the OBD socket.

:beerchug:

Audi Variable Servicing (longlife service) up to 2 years or 20k miles, depending on use.

BUB :beerchug:

PS - Don't do it!!! (AVS)

So i wont be able to reset that one then...m car is approaching 60k

So i wont be able to reset that one then...m car is approaching 60k

Your car is probably due a cambelt change at 60k if it hasnt been done yet. £275 from Stafford Audi

i fu**ing hate dealers but i swear by stafford audi.
why cant they all be like that, rather make a little bit of money off a lot of people rather than the rest, alot of money from non returning, didnt know any different, poor sods.

hey all think I'll be taking it to Stafford then can't argue with that cost, regards cam belt the woman at Audi Sutton coldfield said 5 years or 70k miles is she wrong then?

Thanks for all the responses

Tom

no shes not but people dont like to leave em that long.
if your getting the cam belt done your also advised to get the water pump done aswell as these are ment to go soon after cambelt change due to new forces put on them.
im sure this is correct info, im sure someone will second it.

Yeah I agree with you about the water pump!

not sure on the design of the B6 but on the B5 the waterpump isnt connected to the cam belt in any way. It runs off a belt driven by the PAS pump, which is driven by the main aux belt...

On cars where the cam belt drives the water pump its advisable to change both, as if the pump fails it usally causes the belt to lose tension and destroys the engine. If its external, that cant happen, so its not as important to do it.

Just called up Stafford Audi they want £236 for a service. If the parts according to Sutton Audi cost £115 that makes the labour cost £121 at Stafford where is the £79 from apart from the link above to ebay?

You may have been quoted for a standard longlife service.

The Ebay service is just a oil change, fluid top up and stamp in the book. You will still need to change the Air filter, pollen filter and maybe the spark plugs which are all cheap and easy to diy.

As Stafford Audi state on Ebay "If you would like to take advantage of this excellent value for money offer then please contact our service department on 01785 250444 and quote eBay Bronze Service offer to the service advisor"

Coyote yeah i agree they are all cheap things i can do myself which i was planning on doing however i dont have the kit to re-set the AVS....?!.

The AVS can be reset manually by anyone, can't remember the exact procedure and my car isn't here to check, but it details how to do it in the handbook.

Im out at the minute can someone confirm that I can reset the dash and associated element without having to visit a dealer/independant?

You can reset to normal fixed interval servicing yourself with no tools. To reset the AVS (variable interval) you'll need access to VAG-COM/VCDS. There are lots guys on here who have this who may be willing to help you out.

Cheers isaac can someone also explain the difference between fixed and variable servicing intervals?

Hi Tom,

Just a suggestion but why not get the bronze service done at Stafford Audi for £79 then do the other bits yourself. That way they will reset your service reminder for you and stamp your book and as Coyote says the rest should be straight forward diy.

If it's on variable and you want it standard or vice versa then just ask them to set the reminder to suit.

As Coyote's said just quote the ebay offer if you do decide to ring them.

My understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) of the difference between variable and standard service is that if you do high milage then the variable makes more sense as it uses long life oil and the next service is required at around 20K miles or 2 years.

Standard is just when you take it in every year or 10K miles and they use regular oil rather than long life which I gather is much cheaper.

From what I've heard long life oil is not that great as I have turbo failure at the moment at only 30K miles and the first thing every garge seems to ask is 'it's not running on long life oil is it' - which is was before I owned it.

Hey all finally booked it in for a gold service at stafford Audi for £189 orignally when i called up they wanted £236 and compared to my local dealer in Sutton who wanted over £330 for my next service I cannot complain.

Ive been trying to understand the servicing regieme of Audi and think i have finally cracked it.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Hi just been quoted £475 to have my cam belt done at Stratford Upon Avon Audi my car has justed passed over 60k, i saw this earlier on the the thread.

"Your car is probably due a cambelt change at 60k if it hasnt been done yet. £275 from Stafford Audi"

How do you think i could get the price down to £275.

Reagrds matt

£475 (stratford) - £275 (stafford) = £200 - £30 (fuel to travel to stafford) = £170
still a big saving matty

i asked the same question when i went to my local dealer in leicester and came to the conclusion that most of them are wan**ers.

Had the service done at Stafford and happy with the job done although i like to watch them work but hey ho not a problem.

Stafford Audi do a fixed price servicing offer depending on your car for mine they want jsut over £400 for the next two services and I get the MOT's for the next two years included also i can pay monthly with no interest charged so thats £21 a month for the next year and a bit.

It makes more sense as then its not much of a pain when you have to part with the money.

You can also cancel at any point and get all your money back excluding £20 for admin charge.