Servicing a personal lease car

thealphabeta

Reaction score
Hi All

Wondering if anyone can help me. I have a personal lease car and wondered what the deal was with regards to servicing and whether I need to go to a dealer or not. The lease is with Arval and not a dealer as such. I have no maintenance plan and as far as I can tell from my contract it doesn't state my options unless I'm on the maintenance plan. Legal speak never want my forte though.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You can normally service a car anywhere you wish as long as they are vat registered and use OME parts and follow the service schedule you shouldn't have an issue. However, I'd call the lease company to double check. They can be quite difficult at times. My mate has a company lease through the same company, non-maintenance as well and he only uses dealerships!

You can normally service a car anywhere you wish as long as they are vat registered and use OME parts and follow the service schedule you shouldn't have an issue. However, I'd call the lease company to double check. They can be quite difficult at times. My mate has a company lease through the same company, non-maintenance as well and he only uses dealerships!
Yes I thought the same and I'm pretty sure the rules changed in favour of the consumer not so long ago to allow you to do so. The dealership service is double my local garage for oil and filter change!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just double check with your provider before you go ahead. But, if service schedule is followed and genuine parts are used then you should be fine. Only thing the car won't get is any software or service updates that dealerships would automatically do.

Reactions: thealphabeta
snip snip Only thing the car won't get is any software or service updates that dealerships would automatically do.

Now here is a strange/funny thing, I booked my 2011 S4 in for an MOT and when I handed the car in (bumf said "we will do a software check and free vehicle health check and wash and vac and -- and "), I said that I had a mechanical lock/blocker on the OBD2 port, so can you tell me if there are any outstanding software updates and if so exactly what are they and if I agree to them being down loaded into my car, I'll remove the OBD2 lock/blocker! The answer was, "sorry I currently can not connect to the system so we will not be doing any software updates" - just shows how important keeping customers cars up to date is!

Edit:- just to clarify that, it is my experience, with VW SEAT and Audi main dealers, that the point at which workshop time and job tasks are fixed, is at the point at which you actually hand the car over and sign the authorisation to do work, it is at that point that workshop resource loading is made.