Service Plan....

cuke2u

Reaction score
As my car is coming up to its first year and it has only completed about 5k, with most of my motoring around town and having looked at the Audi advice both in the Q&A here and on their website, I deduced that my car should be having a service soon. However the MMI states it is due in over 300 days time so I rang my dealership who didn't know and have suggested I ring the VAG finance to see what service plan I am on. I am paying over £14 to them over three years, thus the total amount would be over £500 which, if the MMI is to be believed, this seems to suggest I am paying for nothing to be done in the time the service plan runs for.
I find it appalling and unbelievable my dealership doesn't know when my car will need a service, despite me telling them my driving conditions and mileage. When I had ford's it was very clear my service intervals were over a time period not over mileage as driving around town is more detrimental to the engine oil. If it is the case that the MMI is accurate this means I have been ripped off by paying this amount monthly, which I would want refunded, however I think the MMI isn't correct and I should be having yearly servicing.
Anyone agree?
Edit: Rang VAG finance and they didn't know either and the department that might is closed for the weekend. Snotty email has been despatched to Audi Eastbourne.

Last edited:
Yes your dealer should be able to explain your options. There are two servicing regimes - Flexible and Fixed.

Flexible is for cars which mainly do long motorway runs. An Oil Change and Service Inspection (see page 6 of your Service Manual for scope of work) will be due every 2 years.

Fixed is for cars which mainly do short stop/start journeys. An Oil Change is due every year plus a Service Inspection every 2 years.

Every car which leaves the factory in Ingolstadt has the MMI set to Flexible Servicing. Unfortunately the dealer views it as your responsibility to ask them to change it to Fixed when you collect the car.

I had mine changed before taking delivery of my S3. Also, I was extremely lucky to buy the 3 Year Fixed Service deal outwith it's time for £399. For this money I get 3 oil changes, a service inspection, pollen filter and a brake fluid change.

You should get one oil change and a service inspection for your £500. Doesn't quite seem fair, does it...?

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm on flexible service. After 4 months and 19,000 miles the first service was due. Cost @audi dealer was £355.

Interesting, as I had the same question on my S3 and on my wife's A1. Both are set to flexible, even though I did tell the dealership that my wife would more as likely do less than 5k miles a year - so shouldn't be be on fixed - and that mine would do about 10k year (mainly motorway).

For mine I got the first 2 services thrown in with the deal when I bought my S3, for my wifes I bought the 5 year servicing package (albeit on a special that Audi were doing at the time).

When I queried it with the dealership what I was told was that the electronics on (both) cars would determine as and when I needed a service, and that if short runs were done it would advise and earlier service (that kind of makes sense as many cars have that facility these days, electronics being what they are). However they did add that at the yearly anniversaries of having purchased the car(s), if I was in any way concerned that the car would need a service to contact the service dept at that time, as they then would take a view on mileage done and whether a service would be required.

To be perfectly honest I'm happy its set on flexible - I'm really not too fussed by fixed service periods, to me this is just a way for the dealerships to make money. Realistically if you only do a hanadful of miles each year they are only going to charge you a fortune for an oil change. When I use my car its mainly motorway work for a 150 mile round trip to work; One a month I will take the wife's A1 to give it a good run out and get the engine nice and hot - that way any moisture or suchlike that may have got into the oil is burnt off. OK, I know there are other elements that can "contaminate" oil, but if you are doing only a handful of miles these won't build up enough. Modern oils are so much more refined in the way that they work these days, that its not an issue.

That said - I will be checking with said dealership at 12 months from purchase and making sure that I'm happy and content if the service is deferred. And I am picky, despite what I may have said above - to me it has to be black and white. Intervals are 18 months max anyway, irrlevant of mileage I believe. The flexible bit is more to catch the high mileage drivers rather than the low mileage ones.

Yes your dealer should be able to explain your options. There are two servicing regimes - Flexible and Fixed.

Flexible is for cars which mainly do long motorway runs. An Oil Change and Service Inspection (see page 6 of your Service Manual for scope of work) will be due every 2 years.

Fixed is for cars which mainly do short stop/start journeys. An Oil Change is due every year plus a Service Inspection every 2 years.

Every car which leaves the factory in Ingolstadt has the MMI set to Flexible Servicing. Unfortunately the dealer views it as your responsibility to ask them to change it to Fixed when you collect the car.

I had mine changed before taking delivery of my S3. Also, I was extremely lucky to buy the 3 Year Fixed Service deal outwith it's time for £399. For this money I get 3 oil changes, a service inspection, pollen filter and a brake fluid change.

You should get one oil change and a service inspection for your £500. Doesn't quite seem fair, does it...?

Hope this helps.
Hi and thanks for your reply, I do know about the different service plans but I would expect my dealership to as well. I will ask them to set the MMI up correctly when it is in for it's service. I didn't believe it anyway and knew it had been setup incorrectly as I also informed them I would only be doing less than 5k a year, the finance package is set to that.

When I ordered I asked if they did a service pack to buy upfront, he asked what miles I do per year. When I told him around 8000 he said just pay for them as and when needed!

I thought my monthly payments were quite good, seeing as my Ford service plan was costing me £24 a month...

Camberley Audi checked with me what mileage I was expecting to cover annually, then explained why they would be advising the workshop to switch over to fixed servicing as part of the PDI process. All clear and recorded in my customer file.

I'm intending on taking this and adding tyres.. Just for peace of mind that it'll just et done as and when required and I can pay it month to month rather than get stung for 4new tyres in one hit

Camberley Audi checked with me what mileage I was expecting to cover annually, then explained why they would be advising the workshop to switch over to fixed servicing as part of the PDI process. All clear and recorded in my customer file.
Seems like Eastbourne Audi aren't as efficient. I have emailed the salesperson who sold me the car but I haven't had a reply as of yet. What with the premature failure of the dmf I am beginning to become quite unimpressed....

As stated in my first post, I've already read the Q&A and I know what service plan I am on, it's just that Eastbourne Audi do not...

As stated in my first post, I've already read the Q&A and I know what service plan I am on, it's just that Eastbourne Audi do not...
Crazy! They sell you a product then don't know what they've sold you
Could be the time to give Eastbourne Audi a bit of :asskicking: me thinks!

There are 2 models of service plan

1 is a dealer service plan
1 is a VWFS service plan

If it's the VWFS service plan, no, the dealers have no details of exactly what will be authorised by VWFS to be done as part of a service visit.

For each and every visit, the service guy has to ring VWFS to see what they will pay for, and at what rate.

So it's quite conceivable that they can't tell you much more than you are eligible for 3 services in 30,000 miles or 3 years, whichever comes first.

But generically, oil & filter for an oil service, plugs at 38,000, pollen filter every 2 years.

For fixed, it's 9000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first for the oil service, 19,000 miles or 24 months for the inspection service. If you're sharp and get it through the door at 2.99 years (before the service plan expires), you might get VWFS to agree to a brake fluid change too. Haldex oil is normally excluded from Service Plans. DSG oil change at 38,000, but yours is a manual.

Anyway. If it's the VWFS plan you have the choice of fixed or variable regime, so just book it in and declare that you want the fixed regime, and the first service (because its 12 months) is due. Simple.

More in this post:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-service-plan-is-it-worth-it.208939/#post-2075449

Last edited:
Is there a setting that you can just view on the MMI that says what the plan is?
You would think so. I would like to check, as I should be on fixed.

No it will just tell you, incorrectly in my case, how many days/miles until the next service. If you are due one soon then a service indication will come on the dash.

No it will just tell you, incorrectly in my case, how male days/miles until the next service. If you are due one soon then a service indication will come on the dash.
Is a 'male' day/mile different to a 'female' day/mile? :)

There are 2 models of service plan

1 is a dealer service plan
1 is a VWFS service plan

If it's the VWFS service plan, no, the dealers have no details of exactly what will be authorised by VWFS to be done as part of a service visit.

For each and every visit, the service guy has to ring VWFS to see what they will pay for, and at what rate.

So it's quite conceivable that they can't tell you much more than you are eligible for 3 services in 30,000 miles or 3 years, whichever comes first.

But generically, oil & filter for an oil service, plugs at 38,000, pollen filter every 2 years.

For fixed, it's 9000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first for the oil service, 19,000 miles or 24 months for the inspection service. If you're sharp and get it through the door at 2.99 years (before the service plan expires), you might get VWFS to agree to a brake fluid change too. Haldex oil is normally excluded from Service Plans. DSG oil change at 38,000, but yours is a manual.

Anyway. If it's the VWFS plan you have the choice of fixed or variable regime, so just book it in and declare that you want the fixed regime, and the first service (because its 12 months) is due. Simple.

More in this post:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-service-plan-is-it-worth-it.208939/#post-2075449
Which is what I have done, as I said, I've looked in the Q&A and at the Audi owners page, thus I know what service plan I should be on. I can't see why the people at Eastbourne I have been discussing this with make more effort and they actually ring the VW finance, after all they would like me to come back and buy another Audi, wouldn't they?

No it will just tell you, incorrectly in my case, how many days/miles until the next service. If you are due one soon then a service indication will come on the dash.

As stated above I am on the Fixed Servicing regime...bought my S3 about 7 months ago and have done 3k miles.

When I go into the servicing screen on the MMI it shows two lines -

1. Oil Service due in 150 days or 6,000 miles
2. Service Inspection due in 515 days or 16,000 miles

This is correct and exactly what I expect it to show. It also confirms I am on Fixed.

You requested yours to be changed, I, wrongly it seems, assumed that Eastbourne Audi would have automatically done that seeing as I had already informed them of the mileage and the type of driving conditions my car would be subjected too. I wasn't aware at the time of purchase that the MMI could be set to different servicing schedules. My first Audi you see however can this change be implement by me?

I checked my MMI and found the figures suggested I was on Flexible. Should be Fixed because I do about 8K miles per year and paid for the services based on that up front.
I contacted the dealer and they said, just bring it in for the 12 month service and they will sort it out then. Hope they do!

Is the service plan based on the pcp mileage? My pcp is set to 5k purely because I doubt I'll still have the car in 4 years and if I do I'd prefer to pay excess mileage in the unlikely event I hand the car back. Mileage will realistically be circa 10-12k

Is the service plan based on the pcp mileage? My pcp is set to 5k purely because I doubt I'll still have the car in 4 years and if I do I'd prefer to pay excess mileage in the unlikely event I hand the car back. Mileage will realistically be circa 10-12k

I wouldn't think so. The service schedule should be set for the actual mileage. It's nothing to do with any deals that you have done with the finance company.

I have just signed up to a 24month Service, Maintenance & Tyre package for my new S3 Hatchback @ £22.36pcm. This will cover me for the first 2years and get me:

1 x interim service
1 x major service
Tyres changed as and when needed
Plus all the other cover - Roadside assistance - Wiper blades - Puncture repair - etc ...etc ...

This will cost me a total of £536.64 over the 2 years. I will keep the car for 3 years ....but year 3 is not worth having service cover on or tyres as I will hand the car back for a new one when these are due so no point paying for it. Tyres will have been replaced end of year 2 (Will make sure of it)

My original quote was SMT over 3yrs and this came out at £1062!! So in theory I have saved myself £500 by taking off the last year.

Might not work for everyone, but this fits my needs perfectly.

I have just signed up to a 24month Service, Maintenance & Tyre package for my new S3 Hatchback @ £22.36pcm. This will cover me for the first 2years and get me:

1 x interim service
1 x major service
Tyres changed as and when needed
Plus all the other cover - Roadside assistance - Wiper blades - Puncture repair - etc ...etc ...

This will cost me a total of £536.64 over the 2 years. I will keep the car for 3 years ....but year 3 is not worth having service cover on or tyres as I will hand the car back for a new one when these are due so no point paying for it. Tyres will have been replaced end of year 2 (Will make sure of it)

My original quote was SMT over 3yrs and this came out at £1062!! So in theory I have saved myself £500 by taking off the last year.

Might not work for everyone, but this fits my needs perfectly.

think ill do what you are doing...

makes sense and a big saving! Also, think ill probably trade in early between the 2 and 3 year mark.

Ill be covering 10 thou a year, so my only worry would be that the tyres would possibly still be in ok nick after two years (20 thousand miles) and not need to be changed.

I'm sure if i'm running out of time i could wear them down a bit though:p

Reactions: Brasso and David83S3
So people are deiberately wearing out tyres to justify paying for them on a service plan? I might be wrong but that's how it sounds...

So people are deiberately wearing out tyres to justify paying for them on a service plan? I might be wrong but that's how it sounds...

it was a light hearted joke mate.

that plan makes a lot of sense, as i would save a couple of hundred over those two years for my first two services and a set of tyres.

if i was to do that plan though, i would be worried whether i would get use of it as my tyres may not wear out in that time (2 years 20 thousand miles) and if they didn't i would have paid more money for the plan and then need to fork out for a new set of tyres too.

i wouldn't be keeping the car long between 2 to 3 years, so once I've finished on the 2 year service plan i theoretically shouldn't need to spend anymore money on the car.

get my drift? its not complicated and makes sense...

think ill do what you are doing...

makes sense and a big saving! Also, think ill probably trade in early between the 2 and 3 year mark.

Ill be covering 10 thou a year, so my only worry would be that the tyres would possibly still be in ok nick after two years (20 thousand miles) and not need to be changed.

I'm sure if i'm running out of time i could wear them down a bit though:p

You could always do the 2 year service only plan:

24 months @ £9.23 = 221.52

...and then if you do need tyres you can just buy them. I have checked pricing on tyres for the S3 Hatch and for Contisport 5's its:

£105 per tyre fitted x 4 = £420

So you would only end up paying £641.52 for 2 services and 4 new tyres

If the tyres are getting close by the end of year 2 I will "nudge" them towards the 2mm tread limit so that Audi change them. Then I get nice, new, safe tyres for year 3 :)

Reactions: ConorA
We are getting an. Audi A3 Sportback S line at the beginning of March and have taken it on a 4 year deal at 10,000 miles per annum. We will prob hand it back at the end of the third year.

When we placed the order in October the Audi garage gave us a quote of £1215.72 for an Audi Service Plan. This then had a 20% discount applied bringing the balance to £972.58. The monthly payments are being quoted at £20.26. The quote is for four services at 10,000 mile intervals.

I understand that there are links to the service plans on the forum and thanks for that but I'm still a bit lost to all the different plans. If I'm gonna hand it back after 3 years (and Audi are already talking about that!!) then do I need a 4 year plan? I was really considering making sure that I take the service, maintanance and tyres option which is quoted at £28 a month in the Audi price guide (April 2014).

The price I've been quoted seems higher than some of the other prices that are being quoted, is there movement with the dealers on servicing costs?

I'd really appreciate any advice on the servicing options around atm, esp as it seems a lot of people are getting new Audis soon.

Thanks. Trevor.

Well Trevor ....you have seen what I have done and I do not see your situation being any different. Why service the car in year 4 when you wont even be the owner of the car when its due? in fact .....why service it in year 3? cuz the service will be due about the time you will be giving it back....

I have been told the servicing pricing is fixed ...but as you can see on this forum we all seem to have different quotes lol

You need to play around with the numbers. You can walk into Audi and get a service for:

£159 = interim service (Required Year 1 + 3)
£309 = Major service (Required Year 2 + 4)

Not sure on your tyre cost ? or how fast they will wear down ? ....but we can safely say it wont be as fast as mine will :thumbs up:

I worked all mine out on an excel spreadhseet :idea: ...cuz I am sad like that :think:

Reactions: Minion Bob!
You could always do the 2 year service only plan:

24 months @ £9.23 = 221.52

...and then if you do need tyres you can just buy them. I have checked pricing on tyres for the S3 Hatch and for Contisport 5's its:

£105 per tyre fitted x 4 = £420

So you would only end up paying £641.52 for 2 services and 4 new tyres

£105 more, so that's a fair bit of money.

I'm sure the tyres will need replacing within the 2 years as another company car of ours has quattro and the tyres need replacing every 18 or so thousand miles.

i was just worried because on my current service plan i need to have less then 1.8mm to have them swapped, so i wouldn't want to miss out on the deal for having like a thousand miles left on the tyres.

Was no need to jump out with such a sarcastic comment.

clearly makes sense what me and david83s3 have said

Reactions: David83S3
£105 more, so that's a fair bit of money.

I'm sure the tyres will need replacing within the 2 years as another company car of ours has quattro and the tyres need replacing every 18 or so thousand miles.

i was just worried because on my current service plan i need to have less then 1.8mm to have them swapped, so i wouldn't want to miss out on the deal for having like a thousand miles left on the tyres.

Was no need to jump out with such a sarcastic comment.

clearly makes sense what me and david83s3 have said

Yes my dealer told me 2mm is the trigger point, but I will play the "Its getting dangerous on such low tread" card and insist they are changed.

or

....Wear them down to make sure they are 2mm or below

I am happy to take the gamble. Worse case scenario I have to buy some tyres ..... lesson learnt for next time.

To be honest if the tyres aint worn down by the end of year 2 then something aint right ...? Its a 300bhp quattro Go Kart !!!!!

Reactions: Brasso
Yes my dealer told me 2mm is the trigger point, but I will play the "Its getting dangerous on such low tread" card and insist they are changed.

or

....Wear them down to make sure they are 2mm or below

I am happy to take the gamble. Worse case scenario I have to buy some tyres ..... lesson learnt for next time.

Yes my point exactly, im sure they will have been worn down by then as well!

i just made a little joke, don't get why everything has to be taken so seriously! not like if I've got 4mm left ill just go do donuts for the fun of it...

thank you very much for point out this package as it'll save me quite a few bob david83s3!

Reactions: David83S3
To be honest if the tyres aint worn down by the end of year 2 then something aint right ...? Its a 300bhp quattro Go Kart !!!!!

by the way i didn't mean anything rude about you, you didn't make any sarcastic comments or anything! you've been very helpful cheers!

No worries ....I have spent a lot of time working this all out and may as well share it ...that's what the forums for..:kissmyrings::jester::jump::eagerness::arco::blahblah1:

it was a light hearted joke mate.

that plan makes a lot of sense, as i would save a couple of hundred over those two years for my first two services and a set of tyres.

if i was to do that plan though, i would be worried whether i would get use of it as my tyres may not wear out in that time (2 years 20 thousand miles) and if they didn't i would have paid more money for the plan and then need to fork out for a new set of tyres too.

i wouldn't be keeping the car long between 2 to 3 years, so once I've finished on the 2 year service plan i theoretically shouldn't need to spend anymore money on the car.

get my drift? its not complicated and makes sense...
Ok explanation accepted, my post was a bit tongue in cheek anyway. However a service plan with tyre replacment for me would be useless, I might just get the fronts on the limit but no more.

To get back on topic, mine is in on monday for its first service and yet another courtesy car, I just hope thay don't give me an awful 1.6 diesel with s-tronic..