Service light reset - the solution

gary3306

VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of threads where people are saying that they cannot reset their service light on a 2007> Audi, no matter what they try. If you have access to VCDS, then here's what to do, and IT WILL reset the light.

Proceed as follows;

With the ignition on.
click on address '17-Instruments' and then select 'ADAPTATION'

Go to the 'CHANNEL' box and change the number in it to '40'. Click on 'READ' then in the 'VALUES' box, change the value to '0'. Click 'TEST' and then 'SAVE'. A box will appear to ask you if you are sure, click 'YES'

Carry out this same procedure for the following channels, AND IN THIS ORDER;
40, 41, 53, 55, 02

when complete, exit VCDS by clicking 'DONE, GO BACK' and then close the application.

Switch the ignition off and then back on. If you've got the sequence above correct, the light will be out.

I hope this can be of help.

Reactions: epox, garymenace, recomdos and 3 others
Or you could use the SRI Reset function built into the tool! It is found on the opening screen of VCDS - right next to the Autoscan button.
mainscreen01.png

Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: SRI Reset

Hi Bruce
I found that the SRI reset wouldn't work on a lot of cars that were coming into our workshop. The application would say it was successful but after switching the ignition off and back on, the light would re-appear. I contacted yourselves about the problem and Dana very kindly sent me an email with them instructions. I've never had a problem since. On a similar note, I quite recently had a problem whereby VCDS would not communicate with address 17 on my own A4 B7, and RossTechs help with the problem was second to none. Between us we got to the bottom of it. Very impressed with your customer support. :icon_thumright:

EDIT: Just looking at that VCDS tour and the last paragraph states;
"On the latest cars using UDS/ODX diagnostic protocols for the Instrument Cluster, the SRI Reset function does not apply. Instead, SRI must be reset by saving Adaptation values directly in the Instrument Cluster.This page explains how to do this procedure in a Mk6 Golf. Please contact Ross-Tech via email if you need assistance with this function."

The procedure above that Dana sent must be the procedure of saving adaptation values to the cluster. All I know is it works, and the SRI reset didn't :sm4:

Last edited:
I didn't think the UDS clusters came in until 2009.... hence my reason to point you to the SRI Reset. Yes, UDS clusters do need a different procedure. Got to love Audi for their consistency - right? :shrug:

Also afaik UDS didnt come out until 2010 from my research aswell Bruce, maybe 1 to have the guys/girls look into for future reference, as I'd like to know aswell as it could be relevant to some work I'm doing.

Thanks both for your input along with Dana whose a wealth of knowledge too :)

i must admit ive had this problem on 07 cars onwards
ive allways adjusted the adaption values to what the customer needs ie 1yr 10k then you can do sri from then on and its ok

I have a 2010 and had to use the SRI button several times before it worked.

Had the same today on an 08 A3, sri reset didnt work at all, although the channels said 0, the service record in dis was the same, had to manually do as per Gary's info above.

Let's go back to the basics, since everybody is complaining but no one actually posted details thats what I would like you to do now.

#1 Auto-Scan from the car(s) which did not work.
#2 A control module map (adaptation) from the instrument cluster.
#3 What Work has been done? Just Oil Change, Brake Fluid or Inspection (Mileage or Time based)?
#4 Which Reset Job did you select?

In most model year 2008 and newer Audis (but not VW, Seat or Skoda) there are three different counters running, any of which can make the Service reminder come on. One is for a standard service, the second is for a mileage-based inspection, and the third is for a time-based inspection. If you've got one that has you stumped, go to [SRI-Reset], let VCDS gather up the data from the channels, then click [Save to logfile] and send us the log -- Support[at]Ross-Tech.com. If the cluster uses UDS, the SRI Rest function won't work at all; in that case make an Adaptation channel map instead.

-Uwe-

I dont think complaining is neccessary the way this threads users would view it, cant speak for other people I'm afraid, but Gary has kindly advised others a way to get round a certain issue, now RT have asked us for more data to study the issue, then we can look into this with a view to resolve it.

f you've got one that has you stumped, go to [SRI-Reset], let VCDS gather up the data from the channels, then click [Save to logfile] and send us the log -- Support[at]Ross-Tech.com. If the cluster uses UDS, the SRI Rest function won't work at all; in that case make an Adaptation channel map instead.

I'll try top grab one of a car soon as have some 07 onwards to work on soon, thanks.

Thanks Gary, Been bugging me why SRI button wasn't working for me.

Not tried going into 17-Instruments yet.

My A3 is on 20,000 miles servicing can i change it to 10,000
servicing in the 17-Instruments?

I have A3 2007 2.0 170 TDI BMN

Thanks
Dan

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I can't get the service reset protocol to work. I can't select channel 40 in the drop down box, there's no option to manually input a number.

Any ideas??

This worked for me on Saturday so thanks Gary

Reactions: gary3306
After blowing my head up with the designated service reset in VCDS this just worked a treat for me! thanks I know this is an old thread but it saved my sanity!

Reactions: Sandra
I've noticed a lot of threads where people are saying that they cannot reset their service light on a 2007> Audi, no matter what they try. If you have access to VCDS, then here's what to do, and IT WILL reset the light.

Proceed as follows;

With the ignition on.

Go to the 'CHANNEL' box and change the number in it to '40'. Click on 'READ' then in the 'VALUES' box, change the value to '0'. Click 'TEST' and then 'SAVE'. A box will appear to ask you if you are sure, click 'YES'

40, 41, 53, 55, 02

when complete, exit VCDS by clicking 'DONE, GO BACK' and then close the application.

Switch the ignition off and then back on. If you've got the sequence above correct, the light will be out.

Great worked for me!!

Proceed as follows;

With the ignition on.

40, 41, 53, 55, 02

Hi, I have a MY2008/ 2009 ,It would not reset the spanner or service due with the SRI reset ,it shows as a CAN system showing on the display. At first I was reluctant to use the Adaption method as a warning bubble would appear telling me to use the SRI tool. But after reading your post ,I had a go and it worked fine. I did use the SRI tool to change the service type to Fixed from Time based. And it worked fine for this..
Thanks for confirmation.

I found that with my daughter's late 2009 SEAT Ibiza, the current latest version of VCDS could not perform SRI reset when I last serviced it in October 2017, I'm sure the latest version of VCDS managed to reset it in January 2017, anyway I have Carista as a handy tool to have in the cars when out and about, and it managed to reset the service indicator.

Ah, I remember back in the "good old" days resetting all the relevant fields at service time, and being boring enough to record all the stored values - just in case!! Now VCDS, if you let it, does all that for you!