Service Intervals

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering what the service intervals are on the RS3? I have found online that it is either the normal fixed 12-monthly or the variable service.

Reason being I am looking at a car that has done 8000 miles, surely I wouldn't be out of order in asking for a service? I checked the tyres by feel and they aren't low but don't have loads of life in them. I brought this up and the technician has quoted 5.5mm on the rear and 5mm on the front. Now, this seems a little exaggerated I think. I want to get the car and not have to do anything with it for another 10k, as it should be. The car has lived on the motorway, it's 3 months old and has the 8000 on the clock, it was used my their female accounts manager. I still doubt there is anything near 5mm on those tyres.

When I viewed it I didn't spend enough time going over it, I were rushed almost. The salesman walked out with trade plates, we went for a 4/5 mile test drive and mostly in 30 zones, then a short 2 miles in a 50. I got a few minutes to take a look where I noticed a chip which they agreed would result in the wing being repainted, then I had to rush inside to fill out paperwork. I might ask to go see it again tomorrow, take my tread depth gauge and go over it with a fine tooth comb.

What is your opinion guys? We have bought and sold loads of cars over the years, but to be honest I feel a bit lost in knowing what to look for exactly on this car and what I should expect from the dealer for a £43.5k price tag (reduced).

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

9k miles or 12 months is the service interval on mine. Oil change comes up first.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

9k miles or 12 months is the service interval on mine. Oil change comes up first.

TX.

Oh!! For sure then, it's getting serviced!! If the dealer refuses I will walk away, it's a small cost in comparison and from what I've read online it is down to the owner whether they choose fixed or variable. I guarantee they will try and claim it's on variable. To me, 16-18k between oil changes seems a bit much on a performance car but then they are burning it fast too, so it gets fresh quite regular.

I agree, crazy to not change the oil every year at least. Less if a high miler of course.

TX.

Don't hold your breath, if they haven't mentioned "servicing" then I very much doubt that it has yet had any service. My son bought a top of the range TT under similar circumstances and it had not been serviced, the tyre pressures were all over the place, somebody had stuck a pen into the little speaker for mobile calls and broken it and cruise control could not be retro fitted as agreed/promised in writing during the sale - we complained and I insisted the car was returned for a full refund. The PDI 100+ point checks they are supposed to do, seems to be utter nonsense - I've had similar problems with BMW/Mini - the cars only seem to get a quick power wash. I'd strongly advise you to firmly verify everything you need to put your mind at rest before you hand over your money - it is a lot more difficult to do so afterwards.

I bought mine when it was 9 months old at 5k. I was somewhat surprised to find it come up with the service reminder 3 months later but yeah, they said don't do a service when you buy it, they'd rather just keep to the usual service schedule. Of course that meant I paid for it, but as a first service oil change it wasn't so much.

The PDI 100+ point checks they are supposed to do, seems to be utter nonsense - I've had similar problems with BMW/Mini - the cars only seem to get a quick power wash.
I'd be inclined to think that they take the multi point check very seriously because it's also for their benefit as much as ours. If you return the car after a week listing faults, they'd be very glad that they could prove (to themselves at least), that the car wasn't sold in that condition.

I've done 18k miles on my Golf R's tyres. They still have a couple of mm tread left. If it's genuinely done 8k motorway miles then the tyres should be fine.

when I bought mine from new 3 months ago my service indicator is still showing a service is only due at 16500 miles very strange

^^ I'd say that is the "long life" servicing which imho is not ideal for the RS3.

TX.

Edit - or that could be right as there is an oil service indicator as well as a service indicator; oil comes up first of course with a "proper" service 2nd.

Reactions: nikolai briton
I'd say that is the "long life" servicing which imho is not ideal for the RS3.
I agree, high performances engines should never be on these "stretched" oil service regimes designed as a marketing feature for fleet/diesel motorway munchers. If I owned an RS3 or BMW M car I would definitely sneak in an extra engine oil change between such intervals.

Engine oil and filter change with Audi recommended oil every 12-months, period.

Play with anything and everything else but don't skip the engine oil and filter change; life blood, and all that...

Reactions: RS3 S., nikolai briton and AudiNutta