service intervals

T

tinka

just out of interest has anyone changed from longlife service to inspection service,only asking as im not keen on oil lasting 15-20k,whether its special oil or not,i would rather change it every 5k or something,as the oil in diesels gets contaminated quite quickly and i cant do it with the longlife schedule.

Even on longlife servicing, there is at least one oil service between longlife services, so if your car gets serviced every 18000 miles on longlife, the most you'd do is 9000 miles between oil changes.

never heard of that at all. Unless you count the gradual replacement of oil by topping up over a 9k mile interval as an oil change.

[ QUOTE ]
Even on longlife servicing, there is at least one oil service between longlife services, so if your car gets serviced every 18000 miles on longlife, the most you'd do is 9000 miles between oil changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh?

The car is serviced when it says so - we had a service at 18,800 and following that we are looking at another in 17,400 according to the display.

So it's a nonsense to say the most you'd do is 9,000 miles between oil changes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

surely that distance on the same oil cant be good for the engine,it cant be giving much protection after that mileage,
and as you say on long life the service is done when the oil sensors tell you so,which is what i dont like,

yeh but technology moves on, so we can enjoy longer intervals between our services than we could, say 10 years ago

I am pretty sure the might of Audi know when the car needs a service.

1) They could have just said a service every 12,000 miles (or whatever interval you want).

2) Would they do longlife services if it meant that warranty costs would rise. Er...no.

3) The whole point of longlife service is that those who drive at optimum conditions for the car see less servicing.

A car doing a good motorway run each day rather than the school run will need less servicing.

In any case, I find we are topping up the oil in our 2.0 TDI Sport quite regularly so it's not on the same oil for 18,000 miles.

And it's not running on any old oil - it's Castrol SLXII or whatever it's called - £13 for a litre or £40 for 4 litres /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It's mentioned above about oil being contaminated - just because it's black quickly; that does not mean it's contaminated or not doing its job properly.

Someone will be suggesting soon that we change the spark-plugs - at least on petrol models - every 5000 miles like I used to have to do on my first GTI back in 1980 inorder to keep the performance.

As LeMan said, technology moves on. On my last A3 1.8T Sport the new 'longlife' plugs were only changed every 40,000 miles.

We now even have 'longlife' bulbs fiited to Audis in some markets, where the run with the headlights on at all times. The indicator bulbs on all A3s are of the 'longlife' type because they are difficult to get at to change.

[ QUOTE ]

Eh?

The car is serviced when it says so - we had a service at 18,800 and following that we are looking at another in 17,400 according to the display.

So it's a nonsense to say the most you'd do is 9,000 miles between oil changes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, maybe it's different for the A3 or for a petrol engine, but I deff have an oil service between longlife services on my TDi. It does not come up on the DIS, but it is recommended in my service book, and Audi also write a nice reminder on a little service sticker in the top right corner of the windscreen. Mine needs doing this month, and I've only done 6000 miles since my last full service. Check your service book, and look for a sticker on your windscreen.

Sounds like they're scaring you into paying up dude.
If you've GOT to get it done, then question the phrase "long life service" with Audi UK.
Otherwise ignore it... there's lots of useless cr4p in the service manual about what they recommend you don't do... one of them is go above 4000rpm (in a petrol)

I have an A3 2.0 TDI and there is NO service sticker in my windows/door pillar or anywhere else. There is also NO mention of an oil change being required at other than the normal longlife interval (in my case about 19,000 miles) in my Audi Service Schedule book. It mentions an oil change being required every 10,000 miles if you are on the Inspection (FIXED interval) servicing.

Also there is NO mention of an oil change being required in the Fleet Management costing worksheet that works out the overall service costs of a vehicle on the Audi website.

In the Service Schedule book it says under a heading Engine Oil - "If you wish to take advantage of the LonLife Service with the maximum interval of 2 years you must use the engine oil specially formulated for this purpose. Use only the oils meeting the following VW specification for oil change and topping up:
VW 503.00, VW 503 01 Petrol engines
VW 506 00, VW 506 01 Diesel engines.

My TDI has current done some 17,000 miles and the service indicator shows that the service will be due in 2100 miles. I have also just telephoned my dealer and they have confirmed that NO oil change is required between LongLife services.

Sounds like Lon is being taken for a ride by his dealership. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I mean what is the point of service intervals being shown on the DIS when (as Lon suggests) there are other services to be had. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Had a look at our service book and there's no mention of interim oil changes/servicing when on longlife servicing. The car needs a service when it says so.

Also, if you had to change the oil between AVS services what would be the point of paying for the more expensive AVS spec oil only to change it at the same mileage interval as normal fixed interval servicing oil.

ill stick to long life i think,just thought i would ask out of interest as ive never gone further than 10k on oil,and generaly changed every 5k,which is why i considered changing to inspection service as it uses different oil,and is every 10k.