Service Interval

Colh

Reaction score
I hadn't checked until today, but when I go into my service menu on the MMI, it says I have 9700 miles/730 days until next oil change, and 9800 miles next inspection.

The car was new in July 2016, and has just under 9800 miles on the clock.

Does this sound right? At this rate, I'll get 1 service out of my 3 year service plan!!!

I hadn't checked until today, but when I go into my service menu on the MMI, it says I have 9700 miles/730 days until next oil change, and 9800 miles next inspection.

Does this sound right? At this rate, I'll get 1 service out of my 3 year service plan!!!
100 miles between your next oil change and your next inspection...sounds odd to me.

Should be on a fixed service interval me thinks with that mileage. The cars come set at flexible from factory and the dealership will not change it unless they are asked to.

Assuming you continue with the same mileage, by the time the car is a year old it'll be on about 16800 miles. That being the case it should be on the flexible regime and not the fixed

Depends on where the car is driven really I guess, if its motorway variable, if urban then fixed..

The car is mainly driven on A roads. My commute is Milton Keynes to Northampton up the A5.

I'm on a 3 year PCP deal with 15,000 annual mileage.

I (foolishly) assumed that 3 years servicing meant a service every year or X miles for 3 years whichever was sooner (as it has been with my VW service plans). For instance, the service interval kicked in on our 2015 Golf when it was almost a year old, but only on 7000 miles (10,000 mile annual mileage on PCP)

I guess I need to get it into a dealer to change? If I'm only getting a couple of services out of the service plan, its not worthwhile.

From Audi Customer services live chat:

"You could look to change the service regime to a fixed inspection. This would mean the vehicle would need to be serviced every 9,000 miles or 1 year, whichever arrives soonest.

If you do change your service regime the oil change service should be carried out every 9,000 miles or 1 year, whichever arrives soonest and you should also look to have an inspection service carried out as well. The service plan you have can be used to cover either an inspection or oil change service."

I asked if my service plan would cover 4 services over the 3 year plan and was told it would.

"Whether on the Fixed or Flexible regime the inspection service has the same 19,000 miles or 2 year timescale. It is the oil change that is different and is recommended to be carried out sooner if covering lower mileage. As you have a service plan you would get greater use of it if you choose to follow the fixed service regime. You can use the services at any point and should you choose to have the vehicle serviced it can be at anytime."

Not sure they understand the Flexible plan in Customer Services, so probably a dealer visit.

The car is mainly driven on A roads. My commute is Milton Keynes to Northampton up the A5.

I'm on a 3 year PCP deal with 15,000 annual mileage.

I (foolishly) assumed that 3 years servicing meant a service every year or X miles for 3 years whichever was sooner (as it has been with my VW service plans). For instance, the service interval kicked in on our 2015 Golf when it was almost a year old, but only on 7000 miles (10,000 mile annual mileage on PCP)

I guess I need to get it into a dealer to change? If I'm only getting a couple of services out of the service plan, its not worthwhile.
If you go to the audi finance website here https://www.audifinance.co.uk/en/private_customers.html register, put in your agreement number you should be able to see both your finance agreement and your service plan which should state whether you're on a flexible or a fixed plan...

i have logged on (as I was already registered) and was directed to a welcome screen - the agreement number was already populated but although the cursor changes to a hand symbol, nothing happens when I click so cant see either a copy of the agreement or the service plan status! any thoughts?

With mine it shows both agreements once logged in and it states fixed cost maintenance and the solutions agreement under product..

Sorry to drag this up, mine had an oil and inspection service at Warrington Audi at the end of August at around 19.5k miles, I'm approaching 21.5k miles now and this is what I'm seeing;

IMG 0950

Anyone know why the inspection is so much sooner due than the oil change? If anything I'd have expected it to be the other way around. Checked the service schedule, everything suggests that only the oil change can drop down to 9000 miles, not the inspection. Inspection is dropping with miles driven too.

What have people got on their S4 ? Mine was delivered new with service interval of 10000miles / 365 days. Dealer told me it was variable.... it’s been decreasing linearly with mileage / days since new.
Is S4 variable servicing at a lower mileage / shorter cadence than others ?
Thanks

What have people got on their S4 ? Mine was delivered new with service interval of 10000miles / 365 days. Dealer told me it was variable.... it’s been decreasing linearly with mileage / days since new.
Is S4 variable servicing at a lower mileage / shorter cadence than others ?
Thanks

I think you’ve been told a porkie as mine was definitely set at variable and was on 19,000 miles and 700 days I think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to be doing around 22,000 miles per year, a real mix of A, B roads and motorway.

I intend keeping the car a good few years but it's on variable servicing, do you think it's better to change to a fixed plan (assuming I can do this now, car 1 month old?) to ensure oil changed more regular giving the engine more longevity or is variable ok on these newer engines these days?

I'm going to be doing around 22,000 miles per year, a real mix of A, B roads and motorway.

I intend keeping the car a good few years but it's on variable servicing, do you think it's better to change to a fixed plan (assuming I can do this now, car 1 month old?) to ensure oil changed more regular giving the engine more longevity or is variable ok on these newer engines these days?

Couldn’t tell you to be honest. Nothing stopping you doing an oil and filter change yourself between services though? Or getting an independent to do it as that shouldn’t be too expensive.

Reactions: Riko0073
Couldn’t tell you to be honest. Nothing stopping you doing an oil and filter change yourself between services though? Or getting an independent to do it as that shouldn’t be too expensive.

Yep did think about just getting the oil and filter done separately around every 10k, I'll check out any indies around my way to get a price.

Reactions: Daggerit
Just make sure they use Audi parts and you'll be ok...

Reactions: Riko0073 and Daggerit
Anyone have a clue about why mine's showing so short between inspections?

I could be wrong but I believe that 'inspection' is actually a service. So the oil change and inspection that they carried out won't have reset the inspection counter, only the oil change one. Does that make sense?

In my opinion that means that you'll need to do the first 'proper' service at the 9500 miles/689 days and that will also reset the oil indicator again and then they'll be aligned again.

No, prior to the service, the inspection counter had dropped past 0 miles was overdue by about 500. They did an inspection with oil change service. It shouldn't be due another inspection so soon should it? Service schedule states variable inspection services are due every 19000 miles, even if oil changes are set to fixed @ 10000 miles.

I think something's wrong here.

No, prior to the service, the inspection counter had dropped past 0 miles was overdue by about 500. They did an inspection with oil change service. It shouldn't be due another inspection so soon should it? Service schedule states variable inspection services are due every 19000 miles, even if oil changes are set to fixed @ 10000 miles.

I think something's wrong here.

In that case I really don't know I'm afraid. As of today mine are on 15700 miles/661 days for oil change and 16100 miles/661 days for the inspection. Very similar.

I believe it is your brake fouls change date. I had kind of similar issue few months ago. I had my car serviced in Dec last year and after about few months saw ‘Inspection due in xxx miles/days’. And it was actually brake fluid replacement due, which off course there isn’t any other way to show but as ‘Next Inspection’.

Slight change to the above. Picture of what it was showing back then:

79d6382d31244d8a24932b74c69c9e84.jpg

So, it was combination of two things: oil change for ‘brake fluid’ due in either 6100 miles from line 1 or 30 days from line two.

The counter was reset after the change.

And this is what it shows now:

03f2f901f4348b8374049c0b4ef37de3.jpg

The oil change now is the full service due in couple of months as interim was done last year.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: Daggerit
Thanks for all the suggestions folks, appreciated :)

I've spoken to the dealership, they reckon something's been done wrong when they've reset the intervals, I've to pop in for them to have a gander.