Help Please Service indicator days not resetting

Sematic

Reaction score
Ive searched high and low but i could do with help on the following:

I took my car to audi for a service in January however at the start of this month the service due in 14900miles/30days popped up on the dash. It seems to be counting down the days.

Furthermore i have booked it in to have MOT so thought id mention it then however i got carista yesterday and reset the service indicator to cure this (i had a new toy and couldnt be bothered waiting to ask audi). this has then reset the miles to 19000 BUT the days has goen to 90 days?! how come? also how do i reset this?

Ive searched high and low but i could do with help on the following:

I took my car to audi for a service in January however at the start of this month the service due in 14900miles/30days popped up on the dash. It seems to be counting down the days.

Furthermore i have booked it in to have MOT so thought id mention it then however i got carista yesterday and reset the service indicator to cure this (i had a new toy and couldnt be bothered waiting to ask audi). this has then reset the miles to 19000 BUT the days has goen to 90 days?! how come? also how do i reset this?

It can be brake fluid change as this is the only way to set a reminder. If you call Audi they will be able to explain. I had the same on my S4 and I was told brake fluid change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i did read this a few times but nothing particularly clear however i should be able to reset this? if i dont take it to audi for this fluid change (i may not do) how will an independant reset this?

I'd be very surprised if any non service specific work like brake fluid is included to how the service warnings will appear or affect how they would be reset with any compliant tool - I think that Carista would think that their scan tool is an Audi compliant tool, maybe send them a message etc.

I have been doing my own servicing of a 2011 S4 for a couple of years and I've been able to reset the service indicator without any issuing using VCDS, I have only ever used Carista to reset the service indicator on a late 2009 SEAT Ibiza, and that seemed to work okay.

Reactions: Sematic
The car doesn't know that the brake fluid change is due however, Audi might reset it to indicate that it is. Has happened to me where I got an 'oil inspection' notification on the MMI a month after the major service. Called Audi and I was told they had set it for fluid change reminder.

Re: reset with Carista, I am not sure tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd get a bit annoyed if a dealership was using the service warning to remind me of other outstanding tasks needing done, my reason being, I'm not convinced that they would then reset the service indicator to warn at the correct time for the next service.

Before VAG-COM ie VCDS had the "service indicator reset" option, you just went into the correct areas and cleared logged data by replacing field data with zeros, so you could put in any initial values if you had not reset these fields on the day that you serviced the day - ie reset it late but for it to reflect what had happened.

Surely the smart plan for someone that is using the dealership for all car work is to let them know when the brake fluid change was due and do it when the car was in for a scheduled service and not keep needing to re-visit the dealership a second time a short time later? They should have been logging these brake fluid changes and alert you what was needing doing prior to fixing the service visit date/time?

Reactions: Sematic
I reset it and it took it back to 90 days which is a bit **** really. Not doing this every 90 days... I will have the brake fluid done though that’s obvious. I’m not trying to avoid brake fluid change I’m trying to avoid having it done at main dealer as in my opinion this should be done on the major service I had in January. They just rob you these days. I had to request pollen filters etc...

I do my own brake fluid changes always have done, maybe post into the Carista thread in this forum, asking about this "short" service reset issue, then after getting some answers, have a chat with Carista as I'd expect it to reset the indicator to the correct values - unless someone has changed the "default" or "reset to" miles/days within yours controllers - if so Carista would only be performing a reset and assuming that the default miles/days were as they were when that car left the factory.

Edit:- I don't know the age of your car, but can you not interrogate it via the MMI/AMI and view the current days/miles values as opposed to the days/miles remaining?

I do my own brake fluid changes always have done, maybe post into the Carista thread in this forum, asking about this "short" service reset issue, then after getting some answers, have a chat with Carista as I'd expect it to reset the indicator to the correct values - unless someone has changed the "default" or "reset to" miles/days within yours controllers - if so Carista would only be performing a reset and assuming that the default miles/days were as they were when that car left the factory.

Edit:- I don't know the age of your car, but can you not interrogate it via the MMI/AMI and view the current days/miles values as opposed to the days/miles remaining?

Many thanks for all replies especially yours tashfeen. My car is a 2015 and im looking in the mmi which is also saying the same.

Its going in on April 7th to have MOT at audi (keeping it with same dealer from new and also MOT protection up to £750 is good value for £49 all in) so i'm going to mention that i had it serviced in January but the counter says days remaining as very low. See what their response is. I'm guessing that it will be brake fluid as thats the only thing ive not had done however i remember when i had my golf then my abarth that minor service was oil and filters and full services included brake fluid, plugs, etc...

Seems like they do anything these days for more £££.

Update: had MoT and brake fluid done yesterday and specifically told them to sort the days left on the service. Got outside and it was still the same. Went back in and spoke to the technician. He stated that he didn’t do the pollen filter so assumed it was for that. I showed him the pollen filters were done on both previous services, also brake fluid is now done so what the hell does it mean. He said he is unsure but they do use it for items that are not included in services such as pollen filters or brake fluid but unsure on this occasion. He reset it to 365 days and said don’t worry about it again which means if I now have service done elsewhere I can reset myself with carista back to 365 rather than to 90 days.

Reactions: V6_Man