Service help - my first time!

kiz17

Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking to service my car, this will be the first time I have ever serviced my own car so I am looking for some help as to what the key things to change are.

I have listed a few things below that I am currently aware of:

- Oil, air, fuel and pollen filters.
- Spark plugs, oil change, coolant change.

Is there anything else I have missed off? Equally, are there any things I have included that aren’t necessary?

Please see below car specs:

Audi A3 1.8 TFSI
105,000 miles
Last serviced 1 year ago

As always, any help will be greatly appreciated :)

sounds perfect, personally wouldnt bother with the coolant change though. wont hurt to do it, but if the coolants fine, it can be done any other time.

sparks should last around 50-60k easily so check service history for if theyve ever been changed. again wont hurt to change them though.

other than that its a straight forward job, just make sure to have the right tools and go with decent filters and oil.

Brake fluid is worth changing every few years, but if you’re doing it yourself you’d have to buy a brake bleeding kit.

Would be best to have a friend with you who’s experienced in car mechanics/servicing advising you. You do the work though or you’ll never learn.
Today the service, tomorrow an engine change :superman:
Good luck pal.

Reactions: kiz17
sounds perfect, personally wouldnt bother with the coolant change though. wont hurt to do it, but if the coolants fine, it can be done any other time.

sparks should last around 50-60k easily so check service history for if theyve ever been changed. again wont hurt to change them though.

other than that its a straight forward job, just make sure to have the right tools and go with decent filters and oil.

Spark plugs have come a long way in reliability now. When I started messing with cars, everyone bought a set of 5 Champion spark plugs as you could guarantee 1 would a faulty from new. It was a standing joke in our local parts shop and we often asked for a set of ‘misfires’ when buying plugs. Only brand back then was Champion, we had no choice.

Reactions: samisnake
Spark plugs have come a long way in reliability now. When I started messing with cars, everyone bought a set of 5 Champion spark plugs as you could guarantee 1 would a faulty from new. It was a standing joke in our local parts shop and we often asked for a set of ‘misfires’ when buying plugs. Only brand back then was Champion, we had no choice.
I agree, but there again they are 10 x the price these days, and I'm not joking - I bought a set of NGK plugs for an '89 car and they were less than £1.40 each!

Also, the plugs on the 2.0tfsi engine are prone to causing misfires even at 20k miles (more prevalent when mapped).

I agree, but there again they are 10 x the price these days, and I'm not joking - I bought a set of NGK plugs for an '89 car and they were less than £1.40 each!

Also, the plugs on the 2.0tfsi engine are prone to causing misfires even at 20k miles (more prevalent when mapped).

Funny you should say that about the TFSI pugs, I changed mine last year and the engine seems to run smooth but the OBD 2 scan seems to think otherwise. It comes up with ’missfire’ every time I reset it but no faultcode.
Any ideas?

Funny you should say that about the TFSI pugs, I changed mine last year and the engine seems to run smooth but the OBD 2 scan seems to think otherwise. It comes up with ’missfire’ every time I reset it but no faultcode.
Any ideas?

Does it tell you what cylinder it's mis-firing on? Swap the coil packs over and re-test.

4 new coil packs fitted in July shortly after my remap and no cyl number comes up. Think I’ll try another app and see what comes up.

Wow thank you for all the help and responses everyone!

I’ll post an update to let you know how I got on!