Service/cambelt help

JD007F

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My cars just had a service today and on the inspection sheet it says I need to have a cambelt change in a few months as the car is a 11 plate but it's only done 52k does this matter? Is it worth doing or leave it a little longer as I had a service 2 years ago and from then and now only done 10k lol

Cheers James.

Cambelt is usually 5/6 years or around 60k which ever comes first. Check your manual for when Audi say it should be replaced.

5 Years or 60K whichever is sooner so your cambelt is due if the car was registered March/April 2011 in March/April 2016.

As to whether it is worth doing is the ultimate question. Don't get it done and it breaks and you don't have a leg to stand on with Audi and depending on if/when it breaks you might lose any chance of a goodwill gesture towards a new engine.

Okey dokey cheers guys. It's due at the end of May so bit of time but I'll get it done in May. When does the water pump need doing roughly?

Cheers

Do the water pump at the same time as the cam belt. if you don't do the pump, with a new belt and tensioners you risk having to break it all down again if it fails in the future. It's a fairly cheap part and very easily done while the cam belt is off.

Okey dokey no worries. Thank for the advice and help. I normally get my stuff done by Audi by a cambelt is £599 I'm guessing thts a bit pricy go else where or Audi?

Does your car currently have a full Audi service history ? if yes then maybe worth keeping it that way, otherwise you could possibly get cambelt,water pump and coolant for around £350 ish but where ever you choose can still stamp your service book.

Yeah it currently has full Audi history. This is what they said needs to be done roughly tho.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452283019890837

Pollen filter,wiper blades and air filter are all things you could pick up at somewhere like euro car parts and do yourself. all very simple jobs and only take a few minutes. Also the tyre can be done at your local tyre bar cheaper depending on brand/size etc. These are everyday wear and tear items not necessarily important to be done by Audi. The other items would be up to you.

Yeah that's what I thought. If I change the pollen and air filter does that make much difference or no? Also where's the best place to get decent wipes?

Ideal thanks for all the help. I'm not a massive man of knowledge for cars so all the help is welcome thank you.

Reactions: saq85
your welcome. just took a look at parts and air filter is about £10. pollen filter £6-8 depending on brand and wiper blades (valeo) about £20.and rear is about £7. a little cheaper than Audi quote. All very easy to do.

Yeah I've seen the price and quit a bit different in price which is handy. Is there a certain brand you would go with for filters?

The brand is your choice but there's really not alot in it. it's just personal preference. on these items personally i'd probably go middle of the road. But if i were choosing something more like a cambelt kit i'd go with oem parts.

Oh yeah that's fair enough I understand that. Think I'll get the water pump and all done at Audi and see if my mate who works there can get some discount to help lol and the rest I'll do my self. Ideal thank you for all the help. Hope u don't mind me asking on the rear bump for the boot u have that flap where the boot slides down in to don't suppose u know where I could get a part number for thathad a mate the other day heavy handed and shut something in the boot and broke that flap of the little springs.

Sorry not quite sure what part you are talking about. maybe take a picture and post it up. once you know the part # you can ask Mike @mjr901 for a price, he can normally apply a little discount too.

Now i know which part you mean but wouldn't actually know what it's called, sorry. maybe you could post that picture on a parts request and mike will probably know and be able to give you a part # and a price.

Haha I know I've searched all over calling it different things and can't find it anywhere but I'll post it up on here in a mo and see if anyone knows. Thanks for all the help tho.