Server Busy

Which plan is ASN using with Global Gold, as they do have limitations of simultaneous connections, if using there vbulletin plans that is, this isnt a possible reason is it, probably stating the obvious tbh & sure they have unlimited, but hey something to ask.

It's right that we can raise that threshold to suppress the warning; but it won't actually fix the underlying issue of a transient acute strain on resource.

...However, there may be some research value in raising it to the server-load equivalent of putting your pliers across the fuse-holder to see where the smoke comes from, if you see what I mean :eyebrows:

Rob.

It only takes a couple of cron jobs kicking off simultaneously that are doing some background housekeeping or the like to push the load up over 5 temporarily.

Also the load values are a bit odd, in that n single threaded processes running "flat out" has the same load index irrespective of the CPU count. So an 8 core machine running 5 single threads would show a load average of 5, so even when its just over half utilised, would trip out the forum software even though there are 3 cores sitting idle.

...OK balls to it, the pliers are in place.

I'd be grateful if anyone receiving the 'Server too Busy' message as of 13:08 (BST) 13/04/11 would reply here and let me know what time it happened (when you can, of course)...

Cheers,

Rob.

Just got server busy 17.43 & damn slow posting this aswell, just stood there hanging, then eventually updated thread with post.

Thanks guys.

We're seeing pretty massive server load spikes at the moment (as in, I'm fairly surprised we've not set off a fire-suppression system).

I've been getting the busy message on my test account and we can see it's scaling as it should in accordance with our raising the threshold; but that doesn't explain why we're getting spikes in load of between three and seven times what we'd expect for the number of users online.

We are scouring logs and working with the hosting folks to get this nailed down as quickly as possible though.

Thanks for your patience and updates,

Rob.

In the last hour (19:00 to 20:00) I've only managed to get on twice. No server busy notice - just not able to connect .

I hope we have it sorted for a while. sorry for the problem out side our and the hosting companies control. Both parties will be on the system monitoring the site for the next few days..

any more problems please keep posting.. we are working on it

Sounds Good Chaps. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Ok We have been as you all know having problems with the server overloading over the last few weeks... This does come after we also got hit by hackers. While these two things seem to be connected I think they aren't. The latest problem seem to have been in the form of a DOS attack (you can look up DOS ro DDOS on google).

This latest attack might or might not have been deliberate. One of the computers that has caused the problem is from a company who monitor social networks. It would seem that the bots and spiders that visit our site got a little out of control and created what would look like a DOS attack. There have also been some other rather high load users that we are still looking into.

If we find anything else we will let you. As I mentioned there are still one or to IP ranges that we are looking in to. There may still be some slow ups do to these other IPs

I thank you all for your understanding and I hope that we don't get these sorts of problems again soon.

Many thanks

A

Just one last thing the attack was french :)

Every afternoon around lunchtime I cant get on as the server is always too busy. This is way not good enough as peeps may need urgent help.One of the main things i like about this site is the availablity and willingness of others to help others, either with their own personal knowledge or redirecting to someone who can help. Thats not happenning if the server is to busy and they cant get on. Enough said. lol. I feel a bit better after that short rant.

Every afternoon around lunchtime I cant get on as the server is always too busy. This is way not good enough as peeps may need urgent help.One of the main things i like about this site is the availablity and willingness of others to help others, either with their own personal knowledge or redirecting to someone who can help. Thats not happenning if the server is to busy and they cant get on. Enough said. lol. I feel a bit better after that short rant.

How about hitting the donate button and helping the cause ?

Unless you already have, of course !!

Hi Sandra

Thanks for the helpful feedback.... As you might have noticed if you read the rest of the thread there are a few things that have been going on that are a little out of the hands of the Admin, Mods and even the hosting company... Lots of long nights and 100s of hours go into fixing and sorting these little problems... lol <---- tired manic laugh :) I look forward to you having no problems in the afternoons and if you do please feel free to contact me via PM or post on this thread.

Many thanks

A

It's good to see some healthy dedication to the forum. Hats off to you! :hi::hi: