serpentine belt tensioner

Topplumb1

Reaction score
Car : A4 B5 1.8tqs dec 1999, 6 weeks ago replaced the oil pump,water pump,power steering pump, and now the serpentine belt tensioner has decided to start squealing at me, does anyone know the part no. for this as looking to replace, wd40 stops it for a bit, but its soon back again, maybe grease inside the roller may cure more permanently and can I take it off without putting lock carrier in service position?

you can replace without removing the front but its tight
remove the vicous fan assy to allow change
also check the freewheel pulley of the alternator if its fitted as these seize and cause tensioner issues

Thanks for the advice towcestervag, managed to change it on sat, but was not the problem, when I fitted the new tensioner and started the engine it sounded like broken glass rattling inside, so put the old part back on and it made the same noise as before it was changed. I am now looking at the power steering pump which is new and I replaced at the beginning of oct, it has always been noisey, and I think trapped air is the issue,I drained all the fluid out and put in new, as the engine gets to its normal hot temp and the oil temp gauge registers 80 deg all the noises disappear and the engine sounds alot more normal, the noise is alot like belt squeal,and comes from the area of the p/s pump, but covering everything with wd40 or the like, makes no difference, its all to do with weather the engine is up to temp. I live in Banbury - so your not far from me!
Do you know anything about vcds by the way? I bought the full version back in april and it worked fine, went to use it the other day and it won't recognise any car, re-installed drivers etc, and everything else still no joy.