Serpentine Belt Has Come Off

Tendaimwari

Reaction score
On the way home now an " alternator not charging" warning flashed up. A quick look under the bonnet revealed that the serpentine belt had come off and coolant was over the front off the engine. It has happened before about 6months ago. The belt just got put back on.

Could it be due to a faulty tensioner? Where would the fluid be coming from?

So I re-installed the belt on Friday and it has just come again with coolant all over the front RHS of the engine. Anyone have any ideas where and what is causing the fluid to be expelled? Could it be the thermostat sticking and the built up pressure being relieved?

It seems that the fluid leak is the root cause leading to the belt coming off.

Short update: After the last instance I replaced the 3rd party belt with an OEM part and it has not come off since. Fluid leak/consumption seems to be in line with the recommendation so I assume the relief valve was the root cause for the fluid loss.

Belt don't come off on there own, my guess is something on the belt system is sizing up causing the belt to come off, and if the belt comes off the cooling pump stops, so your temps will go through the roof, most likely causing coolant to bust out.

I would take the belt off and check every pulley, tensioner and components (water pump, alternator, aircon compressor etc)