Serious problem with S3

StevePV

Reaction score
We have had the car for exactly 2 weeks & had a major fault. Can we return the car?

Bought from a main dealer 16 plate 19.5k miles. PCP.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

"30 day exchange Plan
In the unlikely event of a demonstrable fault occurring within 30 days/1,000 miles (whichever occurs sooner), we will offer you an exchange. This does not affect your statutory rights."

https://beta.audi.co.uk/approved-used-audi/why-buy-approved.html

What's wrong with it?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZuHS47nG8Jm9XUSD2

Wife drove home from work & complained about a grinding noise.

She took it to a local independent garage to check!

Hope u have stopped driving it?

Call Audi Assist and get it recovered to dealer due to being unsafe. They should supply like for like replacement until yours is sorted or handed back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope u have stopped driving it?

Call Audi Assist and get it recovered to dealer due to being unsafe. They should supply like for like replacement until yours is sorted or handed back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local garage fitted bolts to enable wife to drive home.

Car is being collected tomorrow morning by dealer.

I will insist on a replacement until we decided what to do.

Reactions: BarryG79
have you tried to contacting audi about the fault before going to the independent garage? understand to get a 2nd opinion if you are disputing a fault with audi but are you going to try and claim cost for the garage bill ? But yes you should ask for another car similar price/spec and miles as to your own audi.

I think audi will try and 'fix' all of these issues before you can go down that route.

have you tried to contacting audi about the fault before going to the independent garage? understand to get a 2nd opinion if you are disputing a fault with audi but are you going to try and claim cost for the garage bill ? But yes you should ask for another car similar price/spec and miles as to your own audi.

I think audi will try and 'fix' all of these issues before you can go down that route.
The local garage did not charge anything.

We originally thought the noise was a trapped stone in a disk brake & that it would be a 5 minute job.

Dealer is an hours drive away.

My questions would be;

What is the component and why were the bolts missing?

What damage has been done? Yes, it’s now secure thanks to the mechanics at your independent garage, but the grinding noise could’ve been the propshaft taking a beating from the loose component(s). Any gouging/deep scratches to propshafts renders them scrap - an uncontained propshaft failure would be catastrophic.

For that reason, the area in question must be stripped down for investigative purposes and I certainly wouldn’t want the car.

You never know, as disappointed as you probably are, you might’ve just dodged a bullet and all of this is a blessing in disguise.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevePV
My questions would be;

What is the component and why were the bolts missing?

What damage has been done? Yes, it’s now secure thanks to the mechanics at your independent garage, but the grinding noise could’ve been the propshaft taking a beating from the loose component(s). Any gouging/deep scratches to propshafts renders them scrap - an uncontained propshaft failure would be catastrophic.

For that reason, the area in question must be stripped down for investigative purposes and I certainly wouldn’t want the car.

You never know, as disappointed as you probably are, you might’ve just dodged a bullet and all of this is a blessing in disguise.
Damaged is my main worry. I'm also concerned that missing or loose bolts were not discovered during the 145 point check.

Another issue is has the propshaft been damaged & replaced in the past? This might explain the loose bolts.

Looking at the approved used list a similar spec & price car is hard to find.

Reactions: GregS3
Damaged is my main worry. I'm also concerned that missing or loose bolts were not discovered during the 145 point check.

Another issue is has the propshaft been damaged & replaced in the past? This might explain the loose bolts.

Looking at the approved used list a similar spec & price car is hard to find.

Does that suggest to you that they knew about it (maybe not the missing parts, but the previous history for sure) and priced it accordingly to sell?

Does that suggest to you that they knew about it (maybe not the missing parts, but the previous history for sure) and priced it accordingly to sell?

I'm not sure. I'm not convinced the 145 point check was carried out though.
Car was £23K fractionally under 2 years old. Reasonable spec.

It probably was, well maybe 45 of the check they can carry out without putting the car on a lift...

I paid £28k for my 2016 saloon in January this year.

No disrespect to the OP, but if it was me, I'd have called Audi assist straight away.

I understand the local independent was closer, but as you'd only had the car 2 weeks, and covered by Audi warranty, they'd have been my first call.

Audi may have reason to argue that something the independent has done in repair, was not to Audi standard and therefore wash their hands of it. Highly unlikely, but it give them a reason should they choose.

I'd also be calling Audi customer services to log my complaint and register the fault.

Reactions: BarryG79
No disrespect to the OP, but if it was me, I'd have called Audi assist straight away.

I understand the local independent was closer, but as you'd only had the car 2 weeks, and covered by Audi warranty, they'd have been my first call.

Audi may have reason to argue that something the independent has done in repair, was not to Audi standard and therefore wash their hands of it. Highly unlikely, but it give them a reason should they choose.

I'd also be calling Audi customer services to log my complaint and register the fault.
I contacted dealer first. They said 7th April was the earliest date a courtesy car would be available. We both work & only have the weekends free.

Bear in mind we didn't expect the problem to be so serious.

I contacted dealer first. They said 7th April was the earliest date a courtesy car would be available. We both work & only have the weekends free.

Bear in mind we didn't expect the problem to be so serious.

It just depend how hard you push to be honest. For a car to have a major fault within 2 weeks of collection, and for them to say wait till April 7th, is out of order, and they're just booking it in as if for general work or a service.

Speak to salesman, and insist car taken back that day. Speak to manager and say the same. They'd have found you a car no problem, even if it's a demo car. Accept the first answer from the customer service desk, and you'll get nowhere.

Everyone's different, but I'd have stood in the dealership, and not left till I got a car. The last thing the manager wants or needs is for a disgruntled customer making a fuss in front of other potential customers. The car should be tip top if sold via an Audi dealership. Anything less, then they need to deal with it straight away. New or used, it doesn't matter.

Edit to add.
Again if it was me, I probably wouldn't accept a repair either. My confidence in the car and the dealer would be ruined. Money back, and buy elsewhere

Reactions: 4K and StevePV
Thanks for your advice.

I've spoken to the dealership this morning & my car has been collected. A Q2 has been left as a courtesy car.

Reactions: 4K, BarryG79, wab172uk and 1 other person
Thanks for your advice.

I've spoken to the dealership this morning & my car has been collected. A Q2 has been left as a courtesy car.

Glad you've had some action from the dealer.

Reactions: StevePV
So what was it and how did they miss it . I would not be happy with a bottle of fizz , I would lose confidence in the car .

Bolts
So what was it and how did they miss it . I would not be happy with a bottle of fizz , I would lose confidence in the car .
Bolts had become loose & fallen out. New bolts have bee replaced & tightened to the correct torque.

Going back to your original post, those missing bolts would cause that frame to rattle, you mentioned a grinding noise? What was grinding? Have they carried out any other checks or have they just smashed a load of bolts in and tried to sweeten you up with a bottle of cheap champagne?

Reactions: 4K
It just depend how hard you push to be honest. For a car to have a major fault within 2 weeks of collection, and for them to say wait till April 7th, is out of order, and they're just booking it in as if for general work or a service.

Speak to salesman, and insist car taken back that day. Speak to manager and say the same. They'd have found you a car no problem, even if it's a demo car. Accept the first answer from the customer service desk, and you'll get nowhere.

Everyone's different, but I'd have stood in the dealership, and not left till I got a car. The last thing the manager wants or needs is for a disgruntled customer making a fuss in front of other potential customers. The car should be tip top if sold via an Audi dealership. Anything less, then they need to deal with it straight away. New or used, it doesn't matter.

Edit to add.
Again if it was me, I probably wouldn't accept a repair either. My confidence in the car and the dealer would be ruined. Money back, and buy elsewhere
Spot on. If you are fluffy with them you won’t get anywhere.

I’d do exactly the same and stand in the dealership until I got a satisfactory outcome. I/we spend lots of money on these cars and I’ll be damned if some jumped up suit tries to mug me off.

Have you done a search to see if any other A3/S3 owners have reported this? It's the first I've heard of it...

Looking at the video and what was loose, that's the prop shaft carrier bearing housing. There are 4 bolts holding it to the chassis of the car, looks like 3 have fallen off and the 4th is only a few threads away from going too.

The grinding noise is likely from the prop shaft rotating against the aluminum heat shield after it dropped 1 to 2 inches. Whether damage was done to the prop shaft, it needs all the heat shield removed and inspected.

Looking at the video and what was loose, that's the prop shaft carrier bearing housing. There are 4 bolts holding it to the chassis of the car, looks like 3 have fallen off and the 4th is only a few threads away from going too.

The grinding noise is likely from the prop shaft rotating against the aluminum heat shield after it dropped 1 to 2 inches. Whether damage was done to the prop shaft, it needs all the heat shield removed and inspected.

Very true. Just sticking in replacement bolts is covering up potential damage. Maybe the dealership is hoping it remains ok till your warranty expires? Then they'll charge you a fortune for replacement parts.

OP should really insist the car be inspected fully, and again log all issues and concerns with Audi UK. If this ends up getting worse, then Audi are fully aware of the situation, and the dealer will be held responsible for not inspecting / repairing the car properly. Plus, Audi uk will not be pleased that a car has been sold with loose Bolts or missing Bolts. No wonder the dealership has given you a bottle of fizz. You leave happy and don't kick up more of a fuss, and they don't get a kicking from Audi.

Going back to your original post, those missing bolts would cause that frame to rattle, you mentioned a grinding noise? What was grinding? Have they carried out any other checks or have they just smashed a load of bolts in and tried to sweeten you up with a bottle of cheap champagne?
Agreed. Seems like op has caved without a proper inspection.

I'd be wary of the car after something like this.

Two words: walk away.

Also. PCP on an old car? Ouch. Those interest rates must sting.

Agreed. Seems like op has caved without a proper inspection.

I'd be wary of the car after something like this.

Two words: walk away.

Also. PCP on an old car? Ouch. Those interest rates must sting.
Thanks for all your comments.
I will speak to Audi on Monday.

The other question is why did the bolts come lose ? Previous repair not done correctly ? Maybe an imbalance causing vibration the shook the bolts lose . Has the prop bearing now been damaged . Too many questions . If you don’t reject the car I would want a free extended warranty to protect me going forward ...

Reactions: suzannec
Of course it was!!! :p when they tried to buy my 2.5 year old S3 off me for the same price that 'We buy any car' had offered, their excuse was "It costs us £2,000 to check the car over and prepare it for sale", I said but you've just looked at the car and agreed that it's in mint condition with no marks at all on the car or alloys!!! :D

washed with a bottle of Champagne.
Glad you got it sorted ;) But they washed it with a bottle of Champagne...that's just a waste :p hope they haven't given you swirls for free?