Facelift Sensor on back of rear view mirror?

MikeSel^

Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mikesel.info
Can anyone tell me what the sensor is on the back of the rear view mirror on the S3? It's slightly obscured by my new dashcam. Wondered if it was going to cause issues?

I have Matrix LED's - is it perhaps the sensor for those? Or is it the rain sensor for auto wipers?

If it's about 1 cm square it's the front facing sensor for the mirror dimming function. The rear facing sensor is hidden behind the mirror glass so it basically detects inputs from both sensors and if more light is coming from the rear ie car headlights then the mirror will dim.

The larger camera at the centre of the mirror is for your matrix lights.

Rain/moisture sensor is also at centre line of the mirror but attached directly to the windscreen.

Reactions: Jassyo06, DJAlix and Sandra
If it's about 1 cm square it's the front facing sensor for the mirror dimming function. The rear facing sensor is hidden behind the mirror glass so it basically detects inputs from both sensors and if more light is coming from the rear ie car headlights then the mirror will dim.

The larger camera at the centre of the mirror is for your matrix lights.

Rain/moisture sensor is also at centre line of the mirror but attached directly to the windscreen.

That sounds like it is the mirror dimming sensor then. Thanks for that :) Seemed like a bit of a daft question, but couldn't find it listed in the manual :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
Yes, sensor for matrix lights. I did the same, installed my dashcam over part of it. Worked it out very quickly when the beams weren't going off for light sources appearing in that side.
Moved further over, and all good.

Capture9

Reactions: Jassyo06, azibux1, MikeSel^ and 2 others