Sensor for Steering Angle (G85): Intermitant Fault

ickleric

Reaction score
My engine management light has come on again, with this error (again). Last time i had it the ESP light was on permanent, but after taking the car for a drive it cleared itself. This time though the ESP light isn't on. When i do a VAG-COM i get this error. Any ideas?? Also what exactly does this sensor do, will it cause any problems if i continue to drive it, will it cause any damage?

Sensor for Steering Angle (G85): Supply Voltage Terminal 30 - intermittant

Got this on one of our A4s when we put a new battery in. Needed to recalibrate the steering wheel, do a search on the net to see how.

oh right, do you think that could happen if you disconnect then reconnect the battery? as i did to clear another fault i had fixed.

Its unlikely to show up just by disconnecting the battery. The steering angle sensor is a ring behind the steering wheel that tells the the ecu which way your steering as part of the traction control system. This is why your ESP light was one, it also means your traction control either wont be active at all or not functioning properly. The rosstech website tells how to recalibrate the sensor, but you'll need a registered copy of vagcom to do this. If this dosent fix the prblem they're a doddle to replace, you simply remove the steering wheel & the steering angle sensor is just clipped on to the steering column behind it, no idea of cost mind you!

The code may just still be lingering from when the light came on previously, did you clear it down and recheck it?

Sorry, but Nickynibbles is wrong, it is very common for it to come on when disconnecting the battery.

the esp light does come on when youve disconnected the battery, but it goes out after a couple of hundred metres of driving

the esp light does come on when youve disconnected the battery, but it goes out after a couple of hundred metres of driving

Exactly, should of been clearer i suppose but this is what I meant! I took my steering wheel off a good few times & disconnected the battery as a result. If I ever got the esp light up it would disappear straight away with no code clearing needed with vagcom as soon as I drove it.