Q5 Send destination to car?

-Ju-

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I can send destinations to the car from google maps no problem and they work as expected. But if I send them from the myaudi app, they are received ok but the destination cant be set.
Is this an issue with the myaudi app (I wouldnt be surprised!) Or have I got a setting wrong somewhere ( I also wouldnt be surprised lol)
It's not a biggie, I just like things to work as expected. It's on an 8R SQ5 btw

It is working ok for me in my Q2. In the app (myaudi) you can only see the location, for example, your local IKEA, and then send the location to your car. The in-car MMI then takes the location in Audi Connect and uses it as a destination from your current location. It is similar to Googlemaps. You have to share it via the Gmaps app before you get directions.

Yeah I can send it from the app no problem and I can see it in the online destinations in the mmi, however when I try to use it as the destination it comes up as unable to set destination and to enter it manually?
Works fine from Google maps and the info sent from Google maps has more info attached to it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

For new users who have never done this, let us go from the basics. Not teaching anyone to suck eggs, but many do not seem to understand that three (3) conditions need to be met, and a set of procedures must be carried out for each of the 3 conditions for it to work correctly. I only use android, so this is written for this operating system. I am currently using a Samsung S10+ that does not have any memory issues and works flawlessly daily with the procedure written below.
1. An account needs to be set up on the Audi server (I used my PC) as follows:
https://my.audi.com/
When setting up the account the user needs to use an email address with a simple and as short as possible password. This is because it will be used several times during the setup of the next 2 conditions.
2. Down load and install the myAudi app on your mobile. Login into it using the above details from the creation of the account. This links the app with the account.
When using the app always send destinations to the car. Do NOT use the share link. See Note 1.
3. When in the MMI in the car, select using the Menu,
Audi Connect (wait for it to load it can take a long time).
This brings up a long list including Weather, Fuel prices, Train information and many more including the very item you need, shown as myAudi contacts. See note 2. Do not use Special Destinations.
In the contacts, you will see the destinations sent to the car. Select the one you need and press the main MMI select button. This is when the system works out the route and in my case, it gives me 3 route options in different colours.

Note 1. If you use the share link, naturally you will link to other apps on the phone including Waze or Google Maps. In my opinion, if you wish to use them, then it is best to use them directly and not use the Audi system.
Note 2. Sometime during this procedure, you will need to log in using the account details created on the Audi server login or create a PIN for subsequent logins. The PIN number can be setup/changed on the server.
Note 3. I carried this procedure on my November 2017 (67 plate) Q5 2.0 TFSI Sline in July/August 2018 with the help of Audi customer services and use it most days. They will help if you are stuck.
Note 4. The app can be used to reorder/renumber and even delete the list of destinations you have sent to the car/server
Note 5. You can now login to your account at https://my.audi.com/ and go to
myAudi destination input and find a route and also send it to the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: RS3 S. and -Ju-
For new users who have never done this, let us go from the basics. Not teaching anyone to suck eggs, but many do not seem to understand that three (3) conditions need to be met, and a set of procedures must be carried out for each of the 3 conditions for it to work correctly. I only use android, so this is written for this operating system. I am currently using a Samsung S10+ that does not have any memory issues and works flawlessly daily with the procedure written below.
1. An account needs to be set up on the Audi server (I used my PC) as follows:
https://my.audi.com/
When setting up the account the user needs to use an email address with a simple and as short as possible password. This is because it will be used several times during the setup of the next 2 conditions.
2. Down load and install the myAudi app on your mobile. Login into it using the above details from the creation of the account. This links the app with the account.
When using the app always send destinations to the car. Do NOT use the share link. See Note 1.
3. When in the MMI in the car, select using the Menu,
Audi Connect (wait for it to load it can take a long time).
This brings up a long list including Weather, Fuel prices, Train information and many more including the very item you need, shown as myAudi contacts. See note 2. Do not use Special Destinations.
In the contacts, you will see the destinations sent to the car. Select the one you need and press the main MMI select button. This is when the system works out the route and in my case, it gives me 3 route options in different colours.

Note 1. If you use the share link, naturally you will link to other apps on the phone including Waze or Google Maps. In my opinion, if you wish to use them, then it is best to use them directly and not use the Audi system.
Note 2. Sometime during this procedure, you will need to log in using the account details created on the Audi server login or create a PIN for subsequent logins. The PIN number can be setup/changed on the server.
Note 3. I carried this procedure on my November 2017 (67 plate) Q5 2.0 TFSI Sline in July/August 2018 with the help of Audi customer services and use it most days. They will help if you are stuck.
Note 4. The app can be used to reorder/renumber and even delete the list of destinations you have sent to the car/server
Note 5. You can now login to your account at https://my.audi.com/ and go to
myAudi destination input and find a route and also send it to the car.
Thanks for the detailed reply, however on my 8R SQ5 you have to get the online destination through the navigation menu, there is no option if you go in through the connect tab.

Everything appears paired up correctly as they show up in the car. However when sent from the app as a "send destination" there seems to be missing information which is there when sent from google maps
20191112 200058 2268x3024
20191112 200103 2268x3024
20191112 200117 2268x3024
20191112 200122 2268x3024
20191112 200129 2268x3024
I have the app installed on a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 which obviously uses Android

I think that part of the problem here might be because of differing levels & yrs of MMI tech compatibility. @-Ju- I think your car just isn't the same year & tech as @Peter123 so the procedure will be different. Also, are your maps up to date? perhaps it isn't finding the postcode due to it not existing in the same description as the internet?

@Peter123 good description of how to get the basics of sending destinations to the car, but just to add a couple of points:

1: In-car destinations that have been sent via the app or googlemaps do not have to be selected by using Audi Connect. They can also be selected on the maps section of the MMI. i forget which part exactly but i will report back with it later. Basically on the "input address" section of maps, if I left-click the jog-wheel then I can select an option that shows me my Audi Connect destinations. I find this a lot more intuitive than going to Audi COnnect.

2: Destinations can also be sent via google maps. I prefer this as the Audi mapping in the app is pretty terrible and lacks most of the search features of GoogleMaps.

@ -Ju- When you log in to the new server, do you see the " Your vehicle is connected" statement in green.
Vehicle connected

Perhaps you are on the older server? I joined when some older users were being moved from the old to the new. I was one of the earlier adopters so to speak. The resident Guru in Audi Customer Services on these procedures worked through the procedure with me and it has worked ever since. Some parts of the procedures did not work at first because some of the software was not completely written. Most of the modules are now written and work flawlessly except when I look on the server on my list of destinations the top-level (name of the place is) missing.
Have you spoken to Audi?
@Ormesome. I will check on what you have said later and post back. What year is your car? Which server are you connected to old or new?
When you say destinations can be sent via Google maps, do you mean on a PC or on your Note 9?
The Audi software writers had not written the module for send to on Google maps 6 months ago. I have not tried since. It was one of the features I liked on my BMW X3 30d MSport.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormesome
Yes it shows as connected

Screenshot 20191113 095102 Chrome

I've used the pc to send from google maps to check it receives and works using that platform and it does indeed work flawlessly, but I very rarely use the pc at all....mainly just for vcds tbh. That's why I would rather send from the app on my note 9 as it's easier to just log in and send, I know you cant send from google maps on your phone.
It is a very basic connect on the 8R Q5 and I only really use it for the online traffic, so it would be nice to have another useable feature!

@ -Ju- When you log in to the new server, do you see the " Your vehicle is connected" statement in green.
View attachment 193517

Perhaps you are on the older server? I joined when some older users were being moved from the old to the new. I was one of the earlier adopters so to speak. The resident Guru in Audi Customer Services on these procedures worked through the procedure with me and it has worked ever since. Some parts of the procedures did not work at first because some of the software was not completely written. Most of the modules are now written and work flawlessly except when I look on the server on my list of destinations the top-level (name of the place is) missing.
Have you spoken to Audi?
@Ormesome. I will check on what you have said later and post back. What year is your car? Which server are you connected to old or new?
When you say destinations can be sent via Google maps, do you mean on a PC or on your Note 9?
The Audi software writers had not written the module for send to on Google maps 6 months ago. I have not tried since. It was one of the features I liked on my BMW X3 30d MSport.

My car is a 2018 Q2 with tech pack and VC. I use GoogleMaps on my iPhone and on the laptop. I also get a notification on myaudi website stating that google maps can be set up now. Photos below giving instructions. Having said this, i got this notification on myaudi around 2 weeks ago, the Googlemap or Apple Map sending destination function has always worked for me, ever since.i got the car around 1.5yrs ago.

Screenshot 2019 11 13 at 105439
Screenshot 2019 11 13 at 105455
Screenshot 2019 11 13 at 105503

Are you sure you guys arent going too far in googlemaps? you have to "SHARE" it before asking for directions on googlemaps app. Like below, click "SHARE" then choose the myaudi app logo. the address you are looking for then gets sent to the car. If you go to "show directions" and the Googlemap app is showing you directions and times, routes then you have gone too far. My audi app wont recognise it.

IMG 0165

@Ormesome
With regards to your statement
1: They can also be selected on the maps section of the MMI. I forget which part exactly but I will report back with it later. Basically on the "input address" section of maps, if I left-click the jog-wheel then I can select an option that shows me my Audi Connect destinations. I find this a lot more intuitive than going to Audi COnnect.
I found what you are talking about. From:
>MAP
>Press MMI wheel to left
>Select Destination Directory
This brings up "Personal Routes and most Recent Destinations" and gives the city/town name with the address. I do not find that as useful as the list sent from the app to the server for myAudi contacts where I put more relevant information for me such as Costco Reading, Costco Coventry, Costco Bristol or Costco Birmingham. In the app, I can also number them to reorder them on the list or put a person's name on the list. Very useful when scrolling through the list in the car.
All this shows there are different ways to skin a cat when you have around 100 addresses stored and want to review them.

Last edited:
@Ormesome
With regards to your statement

I found what you are talking about. From:
>MAP
>Press MMI wheel to left
>Select Destination Directory
This brings up "Personal Routes and most Recent Destinations" and gives the city/town name with the address. I do not find that as useful as the list sent from the app to the server for myAudi contacts where I put more relevant information for me such as Costco Reading, Costco Coventry, Costco Bristol or Costco Birmingham. In the app, I can also number them to reorder them on the list or put a person's name on the list. Very useful when scrolling through the list in the car.
All this shows there are different ways to skin a cat when you have around 100 addresses stored and want to review them.

Great. Glad you found them. My MMI must be a bit different as I find it very easy and intuitive to find destinations via the maps section and not Audi Connect. Audi Connect part of the MMI is too long-winded. However, my menu is different to yours so maybe they updated the functionality. I shall take a photo of my layout later on. I do not, however, go to " destination Directory". forget the name but i think its like MyAudi destinations or something.

This video might help you. it has the same MMI graphics as yours so i guess same version.

This is the same as my MMI and how i send destinations via the APP. you can see the graphics and main menu are different from yours. I can't find a video of GoogleMaps to car details but the end result in the car is the same. The only difference is how you share it, which i think we can all do.

Are you sure you guys arent going too far in googlemaps? you have to "SHARE" it before asking for directions on googlemaps app. Like below, click "SHARE" then choose the myaudi app logo. the address you are looking for then gets sent to the car. If you go to "show directions" and the Googlemap app is showing you directions and times, routes then you have gone too far. My audi app wont recognise it.
Funny old thing, I can and do use myAudi app to look up any address and send it to the car from my Samsung S10+. It works perfectly and is blindingly quick. This is my preferred method and it only takes a couple of seconds to see it in the car. However, I cannot operate the other way round that you suggest. I find the address in Google maps, then share it as you suggest and the app just does not open. It is locked up.

As an aside and not really relevant to these discussions! If we are in my wife's car (latest Polo) I use the Audi app to find the address and share it with Waze and that works perfectly and we use her car's touch screen to navigate to the destination. We have tried that as an experiment, but really pointless, as Waze is also very quick and easy to use directly and displayed on the Polo's touch screen.

As an aside and not really relevant to these discussions! If we are in my wife's car (latest Polo) I use the Audi app to find the address and share it with Waze and that works perfectly and we use her car's touch screen to navigate to the destination. We have tried that as an experiment, but really pointless, as Waze is also very quick and easy to use directly and displayed on the Polo's touch screen.

Ah yes, but i guess that i because you are using carplay or android auto and then Waze within that system? it is quicker you are right, but im not too keep as in Audis the Virtual Cockpit doesn't show mapping when using car play or android auto.

View attachment 193522
My problem isn't with google maps though as I can send/receive and set destinations just fine from a pc.
My problem is sending from the myaudi app on my phone. It sends and receives ok but the MMI cant set the destination from the received details as I pictured above?

My problem isn't with google maps though as I can send/receive and set destinations just fine from a pc.
My problem is sending from the myaudi app on my phone. It sends and receives ok but the MMI cant set the destination from the received details as I pictured above?
So why can’t you use the google maps app and avoid all this happening?! I gave explanations on how to set this up above. You still need the myAudi app installed on your phone as it uses it to push the destination through to the car but you do not ever need to use the actual myAudi app.

So why can’t you use the google maps app and avoid all this happening?! I gave explanations on how to set this up above. You still need the myAudi app installed on your phone as it uses it to push the destination through to the car but you do not ever need to use the actual myAudi app.
You can't send from google maps on android, or at least that's what I believe. You have to send then from Google maps on a pc

You can't send from google maps on android, or at least that's what I believe. You have to send then from Google maps on a pc

ok, try and you will find out I guess. Either that or get an iPhone!! Sorry, can’t be of much more help!

ok, try and you will find out I guess. Either that or get an iPhone!! Sorry, can’t be of much more help!
No problem I appreciate the help. I have tried through Google maps on a phone but there is no link to send apart from to contacts

Cheers

Hi Ju - I have the exact same problem in my 2013 Q7, I am able to send destinations to my car using myAudi app but when trying to start navigation in MMI I get the exact same message that you've posted above.

How do I setup Google maps to send destinations to my car directly? The only way I know is on my phone I search the post code in Google Map, then click Share and choose myAudi app, and via that app destination is sent to the car.

Do you do it differently?

I gave up on this ages ago.
The only way it would work was from Google maps on the laptop.
If I sent it from my phone in any way, I would get the error message when I tried to set it in the car.
It's the same in my 2016 RSQ3.
It's a shame as it would be a great and easy feature as I rarely use anything but my phone.

I gave up on this ages ago.
The only way it would work was from Google maps on the laptop.
If I sent it from my phone in any way, I would get the error message when I tried to set it in the car.
It's the same in my 2016 RSQ3.
It's a shame as it would be a great and easy feature as I rarely use anything but my phone.
Can you please advise how to send destination from the laptop? The links like google.com/maps/sendtocar doesn’t work.