Selling my car, but no interest...

swampdonkeygj

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I put my car up for sale on Ebay classifieds, gumtree, and on the classifieds here but have had no calls in the 10 days or so it's been up for sale. It's a A4 B6 1.8T Sport, and looking at others for sale I think I have priced it fairly.

How long would be a good time to leave it as it is before lowering the price? Is 10 days with no interest a good sign it's overpriced?

Thanks,

Have you presented it right ? wheres a link ? 10 days is nothing

Thats a sensible, well thought out ad, The price is somewhere handy too. I'd wait it out.

Quick sales can always be made, but at the expense of the price of the car

Thats a sensible, well thought out ad, The price is somewhere handy too. I'd wait it out.

Quick sales can always be made, but at the expense of the price of the car

Thanks for the reply, I was just worried as I haven't even had an offer of a money transfer 2 weeks after I ship the car to Nigeria.

Reactions: Broken Byzan
If I was picky I'd say more front shots and some tyre gel needed but as Mark says patience also pistonheads may help :salute:

eBay, Gumtree, Preloved, Motors, etc etc etc. Slap some notices on the windows and leave the car in a high traffic area/city.

Looks a nice car, decent price and if it was next year I'd probably bite your hand off for it.

Looks generally good pal and I do think you'll sell it but might have to wait as the problem isn't the price etc it's the fact that most people in general are looking for a tdi rather than petrol and even though there are people who want a petrol engine they're not about everyday!
I wouldn't drop on it much as you got a good clean looking car and the right buyer will come along!

Looks generally good pal and I do think you'll sell it but might have to wait as the problem isn't the price etc it's the fact that most people in general are looking for a tdi rather than petrol and even though there are people who want a petrol engine they're not about everyday!
I wouldn't drop on it much as you got a good clean looking car and the right buyer will come along!

Thanks pal, you're probably right. I just didn't want to price it too high and put off those who did want a petrol.

eBay, Gumtree, Preloved, Motors, etc etc etc. Slap some notices on the windows and leave the car in a high traffic area/city.

Looks a nice car, decent price and if it was next year I'd probably bite your hand off for it.

Thanks for the advice, I may still have it next year at this rate.

Price seems fair, I paid 3995 for my 03 reg T Sport with 70k. That was from dealer, I looked privately but whatever was local to me they were either high mileage or not looked after. .they were priced from 3700 up to 5k.

Price seems fair, I paid 3995 for my 03 reg T Sport with 70k. That was from dealer, I looked privately but whatever was local to me they were either high mileage or not looked after. .they were priced from 3700 up to 5k.

When was that?

Is yours a 163 or 190?

Just by way of another perspective ---

Who are you trying to sell the car to? If it's another 'enthusiast' then I like your description. If it's to the average punter, then it says it's a modified car which had had problems.

Now, accepting it is a modified car, and you've had the problems fixed, perhaps, just perhaps, the average second hand buyer just wants a well priced motor in reasonable condition.

I'd suggest pitching your ad to the potential audience. 'Here' you can do lots of detail and background. Perhaps the generic car ad sites need less - you can always offer to provide al the detail on request.

That the car has been 'tuned' could well be a potential neg for some buyers.

Just a thought anyway. Mike.

Just by way of another perspective ---

Who are you trying to sell the car to? If it's another 'enthusiast' then I like your description. If it's to the average punter, then it says it's a modified car which had had problems.

Now, accepting it is a modified car, and you've had the problems fixed, perhaps, just perhaps, the average second hand buyer just wants a well priced motor in reasonable condition.

I'd suggest pitching your ad to the potential audience. 'Here' you can do lots of detail and background. Perhaps the generic car ad sites need less - you can always offer to provide al the detail on request.

That the car has been 'tuned' could well be a potential neg for some buyers.

Just a thought anyway. Mike.

True, dat!

My thoughts exactly... don't mention the body repairs, or even the map, unless you get asked by someone who knows what they're on about... !

Nice car, well presented.

PS would you like to clean mine...??!

i wont use autotrader anymore as its not cheap and i always used to get phoned my dodgy companies!
i use gumtree,forums like this, piston heads and ebay although that can be pricey! and i always end it early on ebay as they take too much in fee's!

I finally got round to editing the wording of my ad after a mad week at work, so hopefully it may be a bit more attractive. Has been 18 days so far without a call.

I have just relisted my vehicle as I had no interest, and as I looked through the listing, noticed 2 phone numbers on the listing which are nothing to do with me. So I called them. One answered and told me his son had a car for sale, but it was a Ford Fiesta! None of these numbers are anything to do with me. No wonder I've had no interest!

Can't believe I didn't notice this before. I went in to edit it, and the numbers changed again, again to numbers that have nothing to do with me.

Check your account to see if any personal details have been changed then change your password,its either a terminal you have used at work and not logged out or your accounts been hacked which is far fetched,I would have asked why that number is on your advert,might be some mates taking the mick.
Also I would tell autotrader

It's on Ebay. I have a laptop for work which nobody else accesses. I will change my password on Ebay though. I have sent them an email as well.

Id be in contact with ebay for the dodgy numbers!

i just think not many people are buying cars at the min. we had our b7 special edition for sale for a month had had no interest and it was priced as one of the lowest . in the end we part exd it for pretty much what we had it up for sale for. Good luck !!

Ebay refunded the listing fee, so I relisted it last weekend. Still not had any interest, so I think I'll need to drop the price now. I wish i'd tried to part ex it now, but I've already bought it's replacement.

7 weeks in, and still no interest. I have dropped the price and edited the adverts a little. I think the price is more than realistic and it is a good car. Any other tips?

Thanks

I had my car on piston heads for a month ,just time wasters ,and dreamers tbh just try as much forums as you can or try a local garage if they will sell it for u or fb local sell and seek for cars ,gumtree ...

Sign of the times, plus it's coming upto Xmas. I spent 3 months trying to sell my cousins car over summer with £1.5k off the book value for a quick sale! First advert was on a forum, I went with pistonheads, as it's a niche car, not one call, then autotrader, had 2 calls, and they wanted more money off, suspect it was traders, as numbers withheld both times! Almost gave up, then a guy spotted my ad on the forum, and purchased it for the asking price!