Selling advice

Riko0073

Reaction score
Hi All

Due to change of circumstances I'm looking at changing my S3 saloon to an S4 Avant.

I have the option not to rely on part exchanging the S3 so it would seem to make sense to bide my time and sell privately to maximse it's worth where possible.

My question is, how easy is to sell a car like the S3 on the private market, especially when there are so many good deals to had on PCP etc?

My 2016 S3 is very high spec with £7.5k of options in the desirable sepang blue, mileage is the only thing against it at 23k for a 14 month old vehicle, however with full Audi service I don't see this as a huge problem especially with its excellent condition.

I would be sensible on price but what are your experiences on selling a car like this privately and any good tips as I've only ever traded in my previous cars.

I've gone the opposite way to you as I've found there are more & more idiots about trying to bid you down insultingly low on your price / asking idiotic questions / timewasters / test pilots etc... (With the number of S3's being stolen from peoples drives etc I'd be very dubious about who I would let test drive tbh)

As you say there are lots of excellent finance offers avaiable & most people like the convenience of a one stop shop for the car & finance.

I'd get a free online valuation & from the usual suspects (webuy etc) including checking out what is on Audi's own used car website to get a reasonable idea as to value.

& good luck if you do decide to sell privately!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, James.B8, Tom.H and 1 other person
I've gone the opposite way to you as I've found there are more & more idiots about trying to bid you down insultingly low on your price / asking idiotic questions / timewasters / test pilots etc... (With the number of S3's being stolen from peoples drives etc I'd be very dubious about who I would let test drive tbh)

As you say there are lots of excellent finance offers avaiable & most people like the convenience of a one stop shop for the car & finance.

I'd get a free online valuation & from the usual suspects (webuy etc) including checking out what is on Audi's own used car website to get a reasonable idea as to value.

& good luck if you do decide to sell privately!
Thanks for the reply.

Yes my concern is the time wasters which is why I've always taken the part ex route.

I've had a quote from Evans Halshaw which was ok but with the car as it is I'm sure it's worth more and could find it with some patience.

Reactions: richinsoton and Audi Bairn
There is time-wasting people of course,l could of sold my car on Autotrader easily last year for the asking price,it costs around £45 for a week do so depending on how many photos you want to upload, the site also will give you a valuation as a guide prior to posting your advert, you've a high spec car of which should sell quickly but don't expect to sell for more than slightly lesser spec cars as only some options are desirable

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Riko0073
There is time-wasting people of course,l could of sold my car on Autotrader easily last year for the asking price,it costs around £45 for a week do so depending on how many photos you want to upload, the site also will give you a valuation as a guide prior to posting your advert, you've a high spec car of which should sell quickly but don't expect to sell for more than slightly lesser spec cars as only some options are desirable
Thanks Jassy

Yeah I'm not expecting to fetch much more than a lesser spec car but just think it will make it more desirable and sell reasonably quickly hopefully.

SS seats, pan roof and b&o to name a few of the options should help I'm sure.

Reactions: Benji34 and Audi Bairn
Thanks for the reply.

Yes my concern is the time wasters which is why I've always taken the part ex route.

I've had a quote from Evans Halshaw which was ok but with the car as it is I'm sure it's worth more and could find it with some patience.

Alternative is to find a local garage and see if they will do a sale or return? Member on here (deanshaw..?) pointed it out to me, and it's what I'm going to try for my S5.

The drawback is that you don't have the car while its up for sale, but could get a higher return. Usually a garage demands around £2k more than a private sale, so given the fee is around £1500 it seems sensible.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Riko0073 and deanshaw24
Alternative is to find a local garage and see if they will do a sale or return? Member on here (deanshaw..?) pointed it out to me, and it's what I'm going to try for my S5.

The drawback is that you don't have the car while its up for sale, but could get a higher return. Usually a garage demands around £2k more than a private sale, so given the fee is around £1500 it seems sensible.
That's a good shout if you can find a garage that does that! :)

Spot on, my car is only 3 months old and my Audi dealer sold one of their demos which is the same spec as mine minus black editon for £36k. They've said they will sell mine all day long for £36k and return me £1500ish less. Which is a result as I didn't pay much more than that brand new.

Reactions: richinsoton, Audi Bairn, DrEskimo and 1 other person
Good call guys, didn't think of that tbh.

I coukd actually still use the S3 until the S4 is delivered then hand over to the garage for them to try sell minus their sellers fee.

Presume they take any liability for insurance etc on test drives and any damage to the vehicle?

Reactions: DrEskimo
Good call guys, didn't think of that tbh.

I coukd actually still use the S3 until the S4 is delivered then hand over to the garage for them to try sell minus their sellers fee.

Presume they take any liability for insurance etc on test drives and any damage to the vehicle?

Yea I need to ask about details like that. Also how it works with regards to finance owing on the car, as I guess I'm trusting them to clear it. Would be much more comfortable with an Audi garage doing it so might ring around and see if one wants to.

Im (un)fortunate in that I don't drive my car much, so can do without it while its up for sale. My S3 is due September, so Im going to put my up for sale beginning of July. Any additional money I get from the sale is going towards my deposit.

Reactions: azibux1, Riko0073 and deanshaw24
Yea I need to ask about details like that. Also how it works with regards to finance owing on the car, as I guess I'm trusting them to clear it. Would be much more comfortable with an Audi garage doing it so might ring around and see if one wants to.

Im (un)fortunate in that I don't drive my car much, so can do without it while its up for sale. My S3 is due September, so Im going to put my up for sale beginning of July. Any additional money I get from the sale is going towards my deposit.
When Audi sold my a5 on sale or return they cleared my finance no problem. They guy who bought it then financed it with Audi.

Reactions: Riko0073

My S3 has been on Autotrader for a month (2015 65 plate with reasonable spec and in excellent condition) and is still for sale at a lowish price!!!

My last two A3's sold easily. But this time round its been a collection of chancers (I'll come round now and give you £21K cash in an hour), sale of return merchants (if you are so certain you can sell my car on then but it off me now) and dodgy independent dealers (I see you car has not sold in the last few weeks so I will offer you xxx to take it off your hands)

In addition I have been let down by 2 private buyers after test drives who said they would arrange deposit and get back to me and now waiting on a regional buyer manager for a major chain who I have been waiting to call me back for 3 days.

Given the hassle this time I think I will end up doing a rubbish px with the dealer for my new car as at least I know who is ripping me off.

To answer the OP's comment, I think it is getting harder to sell due to the number of PCP deals and 1-3 year old cars coming to market

Reactions: richinsoton, Benji34 and Riko0073
My S3 has been on Autotrader for a month (2015 65 plate with reasonable spec and in excellent condition) and is still for sale at a lowish price!!!

My last two A3's sold easily. But this time round its been a collection of chancers (I'll come round now and give you £21K cash in an hour), sale of return merchants (if you are so certain you can sell my car on then but it off me now) and dodgy independent dealers (I see you car has not sold in the last few weeks so I will offer you xxx to take it off your hands)

In addition I have been let down by 2 private buyers after test drives who said they would arrange deposit and get back to me and now waiting on a regional buyer manager for a major chain who I have been waiting to call me back for 3 days.

Given the hassle this time I think I will end up doing a rubbish px with the dealer for my new car as at least I know who is ripping me off.

To answer the OP's comment, I think it is getting harder to sell due to the number of PCP deals and 1-3 year old cars coming to market
Yep that's my fear on the time wasters etc!

Thanks for your personal experience, I might try the dealer route for a sale and return but if no go I'll probably just sell to Evans Halshaw who've given me a reasonable price which will at least clear my finance.

That's unlucky @Daveotto l have seen your car on Autotrader lol, as l said l was the opposite it could have been gone the following day, my car will be up for sale in September, l expect to sell it fairly easily....?and l won't be doing any test drive demos lol

Reactions: ice_cube99 and Daveotto
That's unlucky @Daveotto l have seen your car on Autotrader lol, as l said l was the opposite it could have been gone the following day, my car will be up for sale in September, l expect to sell it fairly easily....?and l won't be doing any test drive demos lol

Yea, just been unlucky this time round, my last one (2.0 TDI, same age, mileage and condition) went to the first viewer.

The new S3 has just arrived in the UK today so still got 1-2 weeks to sell it, otherwise it will go to the dealer who is "putting it in auction" although he has never even seen the car.......total Bull

If I had the time I would take it in to the dealer to get a px figure without them knowing who I was, and that's the whole point, if you have not got the time everyone will take advantage.

At least for the next new purchase I should have all the time in the world :)

Reactions: Jassyo06
I think one of the most numpty questions I had when selling a previous car was -

Buyer - 'What's the colour?'. (on the phone)
Me - 'As per the ad (with images in full colour) it's green'.
Buyer - 'But I really wanted a blue one'.
Me - 'I'm a private seller so it's not like I have a selection for you to choose from unfortunately, so it's probably not the car for you if you're inflexible on colour?.'
Buyer - 'Are you sure it's not blue?'.

I had a few like that, it got to the point I thought is this one of my mates trying to wind me up by asking deliberately stupid questions!?!. :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jassyo06