Sedan/saloon wheel offset

Peeb

Reaction score
Does anyone know the offset for the sedan wheels? I believe the SB are ET50 or 51?
Trying to sort wheel choice for an S3 sedan (saloon to you guys).

Dealer says it is and therefore say they can't put SB wheels on a sedan. I can't find any specs to confirm it. The sedan is wider so it might be true. I'm going in again next week. I'll see if the dealer can tell me.

Dealer says it is and therefore say they can't put SB wheels on a sedan. I can't find any specs to confirm it. The sedan is wider so it might be true. I'm going in again next week. I'll see if the dealer can tell me.

Not many of the wheel options for the Saloon are listed in the parts catalogue but the CF7 and COX options are and they are both 7.5J x 17 size and the offset (ET) is 56. With same 7.5J x 17 size on the 3-door and Sportback the offset (ET) is shown as 51. So it looks like your dealer is correct.

Not many of the wheel options for the Saloon are listed in the parts catalogue but the CF7 and COX options are and they are both 7.5J x 17 size and the offset (ET) is 56. With same 7.5J x 17 size on the 3-door and Sportback the offset (ET) is shown as 51. So it looks like your dealer is correct.

Thanks for that.

Crikey, even more exclusive...

It's probably how Audi make the Saloon 11mm wider using the same running gear as the other A3s. ET56 is the same as the 8P.

Would that account for the measurement taken from the centre line of the wheel being wider than the SB though? The saloon is 1555mm and the SB is 1542mm, some 13mm difference...

Would that account for the measurement taken from the centre line of the wheel being wider than the SB though? The saloon is 1555mm and the SB is 1542mm, some 13mm difference...

Possibly because the ET measurement is taken from the centre-line of the wheel which I assume is where the 1555 and 1542 mm measurements are taken from. The ET difference accounts for 5mm each side but where the other 3mm comes from I've no idea, but the whole purpose of the MBQ platform is to get the main running items in the same place for each model although I understand there is some adjustment than can be made if necessary.

The ET can be different for different wheel designs and different wheel sizes used on the same model.

The one dimension that is fixed in MQB is centre of front axle to pedal box, and only longitudinally. This also fixes engine position, and bulkhead. Everything else is up for grabs.

The one dimension that is fixed in MQB is centre of front axle to pedal box, and only longitudinally. This also fixes engine position, and bulkhead. Everything else is up for grabs.

Seems a little odd to make things different between the A3 and Saloon. Some many other things are the same apart of course, from the factories where they are made.

The mechanical parts are just about the same, but the body dimensions are unique to the Saloon as is the front and rear track and, by 1mm, the wheelbase..

The mechanical parts are just about the same, but the body dimensions are unique to the Saloon as is the front and rear track and, by 1mm, the wheelbase..

I can understand the overall length and the wheelbase being different because of the model but the track seems an odd one. If fact the wheelbase of the Saloon is the same at 2631mm as the Sportback whilst the 3-door is 35mm is at 2596mm. The Saloon is 145mm longer than the Sportback which in turn is 70mm longer than the 3-door.

The dimensions I looked at from audi had the saloon at 1mm more. Might have been a misprint though...

I've been looking at the UK spec PDFs for the UK (Australian ones aren't out). All the SB 17" and 18" wheels are 7.5" wide and the saloon 18" and 19" are 8" wide. No offsets given.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I've noticed this myself recently. If you look at the "same" wheels on a Saloon compared to a 3-door or Sportback you can see the difference.

This is my 3-door:

IMG_1795.jpg

Whereas this is the "same" S-Line wheel on a Saloon:

BN14VDX3.jpg

You can clearly see the difference - there's more of a "kink" in the arms and the centre part of the wheel is more "dished", increasing the offset of the wheel from the hub.

I've noticed this before with different models, for example the same design of wheel on an A4 has always had a bigger offset than on an A3 and the wheel looks more "dished" as a result with the A3 version looking "flat".

I actually prefer them as it gives a bit more "shape" to the wheel.

Reactions: veeeight
S3 sedan/saloon wheel ET is 46.
Info is taken from inside my 8'' R18 Saloon wheels.