Security

E

Evil Diesel

Having had an E92 335D (cost me the best part of £50k when new) stolen from outside the house 2 years ago, I am fairly keen to ensure that I don't suffer a repeat performance with the RS when it eventually arrives.

I know many advocate GAP and to leave it to the insurers, I don't really share the view that we hand our cars over to the scum of the earth without a bit more of a deterrent / fight.

I am currently thinking along the lines of an Autowatch Ghost, OBD Lock and maybe a GPS tracker in the event that all else fails.

I am quite prepared to deal with scum who invade the house to steal keys and keep a special cricket bat (signed by Merv Hughes - how appropriate) by the bed in anticipation!

What do you all think in terms of overall cost / benefit of the various security solutions on offer?

Better investing in house security (bollards/gates/doors etc) than on the car itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auto watch Ghost....

Plus Disklok for when out and about.

Reactions: Ozmosis
I am in London - the car has to go on the street unfortunately. Mind you, it does make it harder for the scum to identify the house to raid.

A second vote for the disklok from me. Good immediate visual deterrent that they're not going to be able to steer it...

It is not a bad spot which is why it is targeted by scumbags. The bunch who nicked the BM were caught and prosecuted - it was a professional chopshop operation and had about 30 vehicles being dismembered at the time the police raided the place - it was over in Essex somewhere from memory.

The other thing I will do it to leave the keys for my existing A3 in open view (it is being donated to the Mrs) and conceal the new ones - that might be good for a laugh!

Thought about the disklok or stoplock pro but don't want to damage the steering wheel ideally.

It is not a bad spot which is why it is targeted by scumbags. The bunch who nicked the BM were caught and prosecuted - it was a professional chopshop operation and had about 30 vehicles being dismembered at the time the police raided the place - it was over in Essex somewhere from memory.

The other thing I will do it to leave the keys for my existing A3 in open view (it is being donated to the Mrs) and conceal the new ones - that might be good for a laugh!

Thought about the disklok or stoplock pro but don't want to damage the steering wheel ideally.

Disklok comes with a cover to protect the wheel.

Ghost is great VFM imho.

Debadge it too as must will just assume it's a S3 ;)

TX.

Ghost is great VFM imho.

Debadge it too as must will just assume it's a S3 ;)

TX.
I think the 2 caves under the rear bumper rather give the game away tbh. Maybe I will just spend the nights sleepless at the window stroking the cricket bat.......

Reactions: Terminator x, AudiNutta and dunes7
I am going to use a RFID based immobiliser that I am currently designing and coding. It will lock out the OBD CAN and engine start circuits and will use any RFID item such as a card, fob or sticker. Will also be investing in a Disklok. Not sure about a GSM/GPS tracker yet, still researching them as it seems they can be easily blocked.

The cheapo gps tracker was the last line of defence in my thinking - invest the money (I thought £5-600 or thereabouts) in security on top of the OEM solution or invest the same amount in a Tracker plus the annual subscription. Best to avoid the thing getting nicked in the first place if possible imo.

Having witnessed (on numerous occasions in my previous job) how the car thieving scum 'drive' stolen cars, I know for a certainty that I would NOT want my car back under any circumstances
Trackers ? I don't want it back thanks

I'm an advocate of GAP insurance and a Disklok
If the 'people' are willing to go to the trouble of getting the Disklok off I ain't getting it back anyway IMHO

Reactions: Raiden, Callum66, dunes7 and 3 others
Having witnessed (on numerous occasions in my previous job) how the car thieving scum 'drive' stolen cars, I know for a certainty that I would NOT want my car back under any circumstances
Trackers ? I don't want it back thanks

I'm an advocate of GAP insurance and a Disklok
If the 'people' are willing to go to the trouble of getting the Disklok off I ain't getting it back anyway IMHO

I’m really struggling to decide on what to do with the RS3. I was thinking a Cat 5 Tracker and Autowatch Ghost, but Ghost seems to give issues with some cars.. trackers are expensive as hell! The big thing for the tracker for me, is being notified the car is on the move. Think if you are away for a week, the car is taken on day 1... it’s 6 days before you even notice it’s gone.

Think I'll be investing in a diskloc also, are they clunky or easy to fit? - has anyone fitted one to a PFL or FL model, any issues with the Alcantara on the wheel or other marks being made?

I know several RS3 owners and a load of Golf R owners that have AWG fitted with zero issues.....
Stops them talking it in the first place
With a tracker you never know 100% if it’ll be found and as said above, would you even want it back especially if it’s damaged.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I’m really struggling to decide on what to do with the RS3. I was thinking a Cat 5 Tracker and Autowatch Ghost, but Ghost seems to give issues with some cars.. trackers are expensive as hell! The big thing for the tracker for me, is being notified the car is on the move. Think if you are away for a week, the car is taken on day 1... it’s 6 days before you even notice it’s gone.
agreed having the same dilemma, why not get voda tracker cat 5 or 6 and ghost and disk lock. if try get through that they can have it as I'll have gap. autowatch looks good but the south African version is better with user owner remote car disable with alarm sounding lol

I know several RS3 owners and a load of Golf R owners that have AWG fitted with zero issues.....
Stops them talking it in the first place
With a tracker you never know 100% if it’ll be found and as said above, would you even want it back especially if it’s damaged.
true, but if audi aren't making any more could be an issue

agreed having the same dilemma, why not get voda tracker cat 5 or 6 and ghost and disk lock. if try get through that they can have it as I'll have gap. autowatch looks good but the south African version is better with user owner remote car disable with alarm sounding lol

I have a CobraTrak on the S3 now, the supplier I found that impresses me with regards to installation provides SmarTrak and I’m not sold on it, I’d never heard of them until he said and they want £1000 including subscription to fit. I paid £1045 to Audi for the tracker and they were rubbish with fitting, it’s just gone in a bog standard location.

I have a disk lock, never leave the car without it on. The Ghost sounds like it will work well, but it works by storing fault codes in the cars memory and Audi will likely pick up on this as a very bad thing. Some customers also have issues with it not working every now and again, puts me off big time. The tracker is great for telling you when the car is on the move, but doesn’t stop them taking it in any way as it’s often too late.

I have a CobraTrak on the S3 now, the supplier I found that impresses me with regards to installation provides SmarTrak and I’m not sold on it, I’d never heard of them until he said and they want £1000 including subscription to fit. I paid £1045 to Audi for the tracker and they were rubbish with fitting, it’s just gone in a bog standard location.

I have a disk lock, never leave the car without it on. The Ghost sounds like it will work well, but it works by storing fault codes in the cars memory and Audi will likely pick up on this as a very bad thing. Some customers also have issues with it not working every now and again, puts me off big time. The tracker is great for telling you when the car is on the move, but doesn’t stop them taking it in any way as it’s often too late.
that's why I won't be getting audi to do it, my local car stereo place will do it and they are cheaper and put in a unique place well hidden. Getting thinkware dashcam and battery installed too and so another car, gonna be an expensive oct

that's why I won't be getting audi to do it, my local car stereo place will do it and they are cheaper and put in a unique place well hidden. Getting thinkware dashcam and battery installed too and so another car, gonna be an expensive oct

That’s who I’m using, a similar outlet.. well, I haven’t decided yet.. £800 for fitting a tracker I’ve never heard of is expensive. He was £400 for Ghost, £1400 all in with the subscription.

I’ve got a BlackVue at the moment, don’t plan on changing for a while.. keep it till it breaks but I do want a Thinkware.

Ghost sounds the way to go, you want to avoid having the car nicked in the first place.
The disclok sounds like a good visual deterrent to part time thieves but won't deter the pros.
As for trackers there are two many ways to block them and as most have said on here I probably wouldn't want it back anyway. But then again could take months if not years to get a replacement.
Bit of a dilemma!

Reactions: Bristle Hound and T-800
Agree on AWG. There’s an App too now which connects to the ghost and authorises the car to start.

I am not in anyway technical, but with the advance of technology and the increasing sophistication of car thieves would something non technical be better?
I don't even know if this would be possible but what about a simple manual fuel cut off switch?

I've AWG and have had zero issues with it,works faultlessly every time I press the buttons and works faultlessly when I forget to code in the the buttons,it's been into Audi twice since it's been fitted and they haven't came back with anything about it being there.
I've also a disc lock,Gold rating in a size small that fits comfortably over the steering wheel,a bit of play but nothing much,it does mark the Alcantara but ever so slightly but I'd does disappear while driving it.
And I paid a fiver for it instead of the hundred pound odds as the guy in Halfords messed up :yes:

Reactions: T-800
Prob from the Audi technician that he's been dealing with lately.

Reactions: T-800
AWG works every single time @AudiNutta not sure where you are getting your bum advice from ;)

TX.

It came from the company who fits it. They have an A7 they recently fitted to and told me that one in every 6/7 times it doesn’t work and he has to pull a fuse they had to wire for him.

Well it does what it says on the tin for me, not had one single issue with it.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta and T-800
It came from the company who fits it. They have an A7 they recently fitted to and told me that one in every 6/7 times it doesn’t work and he has to pull a fuse they had to wire for him.

Or quite simply the A7 already had an issue that the AWG is being blamed for.....

I’ve never come across a post yet on a forum that says there’s an AWG related issue......and a forum is usually the first place for it.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Matt
Your in the wrong game pal,you should be a journalist for Auto express or the like as you've always got something to say about something.
Or a hair dresser as they love gossip :whistle2:

Reactions: AudiNutta, D0C and T-800
Yet people will spend ££££ on more power that can potentially make the engine go bang.
But become nervous nellies over something to protect their pride and joy.

For those with a disklok like I have,buy a steering wheel cover for £5 so it leaves no marks on the steering wheel

Would you really want to be ‘pulling’ fuses out on a 50k + car ?? Really ?

What’s gonna happen when one of the cars systems/components doesn’t like it and you are left stranded.....

Or wrap your birds clean knickers round the bit that marks.
And feel close as ever.

Reactions: D0C and T-800