Security

OST

Reaction score
first post, lurking as many do, for months...

New S3 being collected next Saturday and I am starting to worry re security.

I have a steering wheel lock bar in mind, to put people off as much as anything else...

Will the standard ones work or do I need something different because of the shape of the wheel?

Happy to consider other security options but this appears to be the easiest thing that I will use daily..

Thanks all
OST

Reactions: Audi Bairn and TDI-line
Thank you, I will investigate. I do want a 'deterrant' though too!

Reactions: Uncle Slaphead
https://ring.com/?gclid=CKq1kqra9NICFQaVGwodx7QCxA

These doorbells with motion detector cctv are very good, i've got one and will be adding the stick up cams later.

Won't help your car getting stolen, but will capture any activity, and may give you a heads up. All motion is captured too.

Good shout.
I'm going to read up on these mate, and might come back for guidance if that's ok.
Was thinking of full cctv system but maybe this is an alternative.

Reactions: TDI-line
Get a disklok pricey but worth it

Reactions: steeve
Not so worried on price, just worried on fitment

Stoplock Pro for £45 on eBay fits.
I use a good old stoplock pro and it fits just so:

2-new-way-jpg.105378

3-new-way-jpg.105379

Reactions: TDI-line, Audi Bairn and OST
@OST Welcome to the forum, lots of threads on security if you care to search, my opinions in summary are...

Disklok or similar ( always a pain having to fi tit every time you get out thee car)
Dashcam (does not have to be active when ignition is off as still works as deterrent)
CCTV to protect car and home (does not have to be top of the range as potential thieves wont know if its ultra HD or VGA resolution etc.)
Tracker (only good to get the car back quicker if stolen, tracker sticker off eBay almost as effective as a deterrent as the real thing)

protect your home and family as most high spec car thefts are key thefts from home

CCTV as above
burglar alarm
Good locks on doors
Window locks
rising or locking bollard on drive

and if it does get stolen.....

back to spec GAP insurance

I have half a dozen of the above and feel I've done enough

Reactions: Audi Bairn and OST
@OST Welcome to the forum, lots of threads on security if you care to search, my opinions in summary are...

Disklok or similar ( always a pain having to fi tit every time you get out thee car)
Dashcam (does not have to be active when ignition is off as still works as deterrent)
CCTV to protect car and home (does not have to be top of the range as potential thieves wont know if its ultra HD or VGA resolution etc.)
Tracker (only good to get the car back quicker if stolen, tracker sticker off eBay almost as effective as a deterrent as the real thing)

protect your home and family as most high spec car thefts are key thefts from home

CCTV as above
burglar alarm
Good locks on doors
Window locks

Thank you, thats really kind

Reactions: Daveotto
I use a good old stoplock pro and it fits just so:

2-new-way-jpg.105378

3-new-way-jpg.105379

Interesting, you loop it around the steering wheel controls... I hook mine below that. I never tried to see if it would fit where you have it. I suppose it is better like that? You can see mine clearly from the front of the car as the angle takes it up steeper.

I've had lots of people take the p**s. "Look at your 40 grand Audi and you have a 30 year old steering lock on it" and "Don't Audi fit steering locks anymore?"

Reactions: Audi Bairn and OST

CCTV as above
burglar alarm
Good locks on doors
Window locks

You have made me feel OCD :D

Disklok or similar - Got
Dashcam - Got
CCTV - Got
Tracker sticker -Got

CCTV - Got
burglar alarm - Got
Good locks on doors - Got
Window locks - Got
rising or locking bollard on drive - Nope

back to spec GAP insurance - Got

I'm only missing 1 thing :p

Interesting, you loop it around the steering wheel controls... I hook mine below that. I never tried to see if it would fit where you have it. I suppose it is better like that? You can see mine clearly from the front of the car as the angle takes it up steeper.
Yeah up until a few months back I did the same as you, then one day I tried it the new way and thought why haven't I always done it??? The wheel need two cuts that way, one the old way. I just turn the wheel more to the right for it to lock and then put the pro lock on.

AudiNutta said:
I've had lots of people take the p**s. "Look at your 40 grand Audi and you have a 30 year old steering lock on it" and "Don't Audi fit steering locks anymore?"
As long as the car is there when I come back I don't give a stuff what anyone says :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-luxury-models-order-thought-rise-thefts.html

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Tom.H and Daveotto
instead of making a new thread I thought I'd add this into here....

this Saturday I went to the Scottish Land Rover Show, I know..I know. Whilst snooping about and looking through one particular Defender window I got a loud beep, owner came over and started telling me it has a proximity sensor as well as immobiliser etc. This is what the car had fitted, don't suppose anyone has ever had these fitted? Owner said if you look through the window once it beeps and if you look in again within 5-10 seconds of the first beep the alarm would go off. Tempted to make some enquires.

Another side note but there was a great product which was a quick release for the Momo steering wheels with a solid steel, lockable dome that locks over the steering wheel boss so you cant put another wheel in its place, not doable with an S3 obviously but still a nice idea.

Reactions: TDI-line
Not sure if anyone mentioned trackers. The cost of an insurance approved one is negligible especially given the; device, fitting and subscription cost £hundreds.

I'm think of getting a magnetic nano tracker by rewire security. It's around 40-50 quid and you just through a payg sim into into. Of course this isn't preventative but will be able to log your vehicles whereabouts and can be easily consealed 'somewhere' in the vehicle.

instead of making a new thread I thought I'd add this into here....

this Saturday I went to the Scottish Land Rover Show, I know..I know. Whilst snooping about and looking through one particular Defender window I got a loud beep, owner came over and started telling me it has a proximity sensor as well as immobiliser etc. This is what the car had fitted, don't suppose anyone has ever had these fitted? Owner said if you look through the window once it beeps and if you look in again within 5-10 seconds of the first beep the alarm would go off. Tempted to make some enquires.

Another side note but there was a great product which was a quick release for the Momo steering wheels with a solid steel, lockable dome that locks over the steering wheel boss so you cant put another wheel in its place, not doable with an S3 obviously but still a nice idea.

I've seen similar manufacturer approved alarms fitted to convertibles, this is to allow security when the roof is left down, if you fancy this type of alarm maybe there is something available as an add on for the A3 convertible. Worth a phone call to parts