Security...

monkeyboy_marcus

Reaction score
Been reading about thefts of vehicles and interiors on forum posts/You Tube (thanks for posting, bad luck if it's you) and wondered if anyone has fitted additional security technology to their motors? If so, any recommendations? At the moment I just have low-tech deterrents, a hammer, crowbar and pickaxe handle!

Been reading about thefts of vehicles and interiors on forum posts/You Tube (thanks for posting, bad luck if it's you) and wondered if anyone has fitted additional security technology to their motors? If so, any recommendations? At the moment I just have low-tech deterrents, a hammer, crowbar and pickaxe handle!

Had a Tracker (with lifetime membership) fitted as soon as I got the car home: £500 ish.

Last edited:
Had a Tracker (with lifetime membership) fitted as soon as I got the car home: £500 ish.
Trackers are no deterrent to professional thieves, especially those that steal to order, as they know exactly how to defeat them.

Try getting Tracker to tell you what percentage of cars fitted with a Tracker are not recovered...

Trackers are no deterrent to professional thieves, especially those that steal to order, as they know exactly how to defeat them.

Try getting Tracker to tell you what percentage of cars fitted with a Tracker are not recovered...

Agreed, trackers are not really a deterrent, plus I wouldn't want to know where my car was if it was stolen! I'd rather never see it again!

Garage all day long for ultimate security if it's possible....

APR remap or Revo... you can use the cruise control stalk to leave it in valet mode so boost will not come or preset speed cannot be exceeded... and as the OBD port is under attack again you can disable the entire engine if you really wanted to by plugging into the OBD depending on your map.

Making a theives life harder and miserable is the way to go. Perhaps adding a hidden ignition kill switch... some folk disagree with Black Jax: Clifford - Accessories because they think that the thief will return and request the pin code but to be honest when the thief is more than 2 miles away you are more likely to be safe. It is a stand alone system and would not interfere with existing gadgetry.

General caution like hiding your keys and not leaving them hanging in a storm porch or in plain view on your fireplace - may be a key safe or something secure... CCTV on your drive or garage are also a good way to go...

Wheel clamp when parked, security posts on your drive, gps tracker, CCTV , coil pack wire removed, wireless alarm in your house and put a motion sensor in the car at night as its wireless , tracker , upgrade factory fit alarm with microwave sensors,
The skys the limit
I will definatly be making some sort of secure box cover for my obd2 port ASAP as its the main weakness,
Also maybe gonna spend out and get security film so you cant just pop the window and in!

Can you not just remove remove the bat+ from the obd port thus not allowing them to communicate with the vehicle?.

...which is neither a deterrent or additional security against theft...
If someone really wants your car that badly, they will find a way. Sometimes it is better to not cause yourself all the extra expense and stress just to have it nicked anyway...there have been plenty of horror stories about thieves that have turned to violent measures because of the car owners security..

If someone really wants your car that badly, they will find a way. Sometimes it is better to not cause yourself all the extra expense and stress just to have it nicked anyway...there have been plenty of horror stories about thieves that have turned to violent measures because of the car owners security..
:applaus:

That is spot on.

Also if your security consists of a hammer, crowbar and pickaxe handle then surely you are going to be met with equal force as these people have no morals and you are standing in front of their drug money or whatever they spend it on.

Fair point and I really don't live in a crime hotspot anyway (small Kent village)! Considering removing the rear RS3 badge though, just to make it less obvious, although I expect that an adept thief will know what the car is. Maybe I'll just chill out after owning the car for more than 10 days...

:applaus:

That is spot on.

Also if your security consists of a hammer, crowbar and pickaxe handle then surely you are going to be met with equal force as these people have no morals and you are standing in front of their drug money or whatever they spend it on.

Yeah, as I posted in reply to quattro81, I'll probably get over it soon enough and am obviously an fully insured. It is just a car at the end of the day (but what a car - been out this evening in the rain and the handling is superb!).

Hope you've cleaned that dirt off from last night !

Fair point and I really don't live in a crime hotspot anyway (small Kent village)! Considering removing the rear RS3 badge though, just to make it less obvious, although I expect that an adept thief will know what the car is. Maybe I'll just chill out after owning the car for more than 10 days...

No point in removing the rear badge... You can tell an RS3 if you know what your looking for plus your number plate with bring up the details of the car and with the apps available for free now the info is readily available.

If your going to buy such a car then just enjoy it. Life is too short to worry about things that might not happen.