Security Thoughts...

Arch_SQ5

Reaction score
Hi,

So my new SQ5 arrived last week and I’m thinking I should probably thinking about the additional security – we have on street parking, and following my S1 being stolen in Feb I’d like to try and hold onto this one!

My initial thought is to get Autoghost which I like the sound of in principle – I know the car can be tracked through my Audi, but I’m assuming this won’t be too hard for them to disarm.

I don’t really want a disklock even though I appreciate they’re probably good!

What are peoples general thoughts on this stuff.

I was after Ghost for my Golf R but the alarm install company I used said to me it's no good and said how thieves will get round it (when they figure it out)

They said we can fit it if you want it but the 'sterling touch' is better. They can still get round it but it takes a lot longer and it's a pain. It has a little flashing light to warn thieves but that with a steering lock should put most of them off and they can move on to the next car in theory

Reactions: martin1984
Very handy things these SQ5s one was stolen from an Audi dealer up in Aberdeen last week I think, raided a very small and I would have thought unknown supermarket locally, then a day of so later used it to pull an ATM out of a bank near the centre of Edinburgh, Transport for Edinburgh bus driver boxed them for a while but they got away before the Police showed up, so probably they are still out there putting that SQ5 to "good" use.

I got a ghost on a Q5 is I think it is pretty secure. I park on the street when at work and so far no issues. I have been quoted £199 for Smartrack CAT6 with a monthly subscription of £12.99. I am still undecided about the tracker as it seems that it doesn’t really push the cost of my insurance down significantly.

I fit a Disklok. It's not going to stop a determined thief, but it's an affordable and visible deterrent that may make a less-determined thief pick on the next car along the street.

Reactions: rum4mo, martin1984 and Raiden
I was after Ghost for my Golf R but the alarm install company I used said to me it's no good and said how thieves will get round it (when they figure it out)

They said we can fit it if you want it but the 'sterling touch' is better. They can still get round it but it takes a lot longer and it's a pain. It has a little flashing light to warn thieves but that with a steering lock should put most of them off and they can move on to the next car in theory

Short of knowing exactly where the thing is installed in a given car, I struggle to see how they can overcome it in any reasonable amount of time without stripping the car's wiring down - it can be installed anywhere where there is a CANbus wire present and does not show up on any scans. I love the fact that when it kicks in, it feels like the battery is flat. No other indication that it's there.

Thanks for the feedback, RE: Autoghost, did he demonstrate how it could be got around? The synic in me wonders if he’s making less commission on them as they seem to be a flat rate everywhere?

I know with the Audi standard stuff, disabled keyless entry the addition of a steering lock is still a solid move, but I also know storing it in the boot and putting it on each time is unlikely to happen with life how it is, and my wife couldn’t life the last disklock we had...I know I’ll get flamed for saying that but in truth it needs to be something we don’t have to think about and a steering lock will just be a problem.

I’ll look up the Stirling Touch, it’s ridiculously cheap but I can’t say that that’s a bad thing! Where does the ‘touch’ point go? I don’t really want the interior drilling.

Yeah the guy could just be saying so they make more money on another product they sell. But before I enquired about ghost I saw a video on YouTube of a S3 in Liverpool were it was fitted wrong and you could start the car after 7 turns of the key so I wasn't sure if I should get one. The fitter wouldn't say how you bypass it for obvious reasons but he also mentioned that video and said it's just rubbish in his opinion. The sterling is old technology but still does the job and in his opinion better than most other immobilisers. Mines fitted by the head light switch and the LED is clearly visible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk