Secondary cats removed

5pot

Favouritism
Reaction score
Had the secondary cats removed today and then on to the dyno at Awesome GTI.
IMG 6560

Reactions: RSTHRILLER, UV-RS3, Spaceman_RS3 and 4 others
Awesome GTI 4wd DynoJet
Img056

This was the previous dyno on a Maha 2wd - Stock
IMG 6462

Last edited:
Reactions: jimojameso and RYuill
I presume the Awesome dyno is 2 runs after fitting? Shame you didn't do a run before and after fitting to show the gains.

Holy **** that sounds phenomenal,!!!!!! I was giggling like a little kid listening to that...
I think I need to get an RS3 now...

Reactions: RYuill and 5pot
I presume the Awesome dyno is 2 runs after fitting? Shame you didn't do a run before and after fitting to show the gains.
3 runs in total. They were fabricated and fitted elsewhere so I had no choice.

Reactions: Vins, jimojameso, AndyB-S3 and 1 other person
Sounds a bit like mine ok mines a mk1:yahoo:

Reactions: Vito and 5pot
Lol as if it wasn't loud enough already! Embarrassed to say I've not even tried LC yet :eek:

TX.

Reactions: 5pot
Does it feel better in someway? Sound should usually be more aggressive, anything more?

Does it feel better in someway? Sound should usually be more aggressive, anything more?
Speed picks up quicker, placebo effect? I don't know...last night I noticed the sound has improved and its louder than it was when fitted :D

Will definitely feel smoother through the gears as like the mk1 with bypass pipes :)

I've just got back. The torque figure seems to be similar across all 3 dynos, the bhp figure is out by alot across all 3 :laughing:

Rick @unicorn knows his stuff and I learned a thing or two. He calls his dyno the heartbreaker lol..

I won't be going on anymore dyno runs now till I've put on a couple of thousand miles :laughing:

Videos is abit shaky as it was cold!
Img059

Sounds and looks amazing on Instagram :) :)

Reactions: AudiNutta and 5pot
ä
I've just got back. The torque figure seems to be similar across all 3 dynos, the bhp figure is out by alot across all 3 :laughing:

Rick @unicorn knows his stuff and I learned a thing or two. He calls his dyno the heartbreaker lol..

I won't be going on anymore dyno runs now till I've put on a couple of thousand miles :laughing:

Videos is abit shaky as it was cold!
View attachment 73547

Shouldn't it put down at least 367 hp instead of 345 hp in motor as everyone else is talking about 380-390 hp? When rear wheels are not involved it should put down more power or what is the reason? Just want to know. What I know and have experied is that some tuners tune their dyno to give low numbers and some big numbers though I don't like either of them because dyno should be calibrated properly as this has a given number of 367 hp I expect at least that on front wheels?

There are people out there far more knowledgable about this than me, however my understanding is that the engine produces a said amount of BHP and a certain quantity is lost through transmission etc before it gets to the front/rear/all wheels.

One common and minor mistake is that people quote PS as BHP. The RS3 produces 362BHP and 367PS. It amazes me how so many motoring journos concentrate so much on the RS3's apparent brake-fade or lack of turn-in, but can't even quite figures accurately.

If you haven't noticed it already, I hope you do now - really grinds my gears!!!

• Sad
Reactions: Why8Edu
There are people out there far more knowledgable about this than me, however my understanding is that the engine produces a said amount of BHP and a certain quantity is lost through transmission etc before it gets to the front/rear/all wheels.

One common and minor mistake is that people quote PS as BHP. The RS3 produces 362BHP and 367PS. It amazes me how so many motoring journos concentrate so much on the RS3's apparent brake-fade or lack of turn-in, but can't even quite figures accurately.

If you haven't noticed it already, I hope you do now - really grinds my gears!!!

Yeah, understand your point but he has numbers in hp and 345 hp calculated in the picture and under that it shows 287,5 on fwd in this case. The dyno is wrong calculated from the beginning or engine doesn't produce its capacity of 362 meening there is a lack of 17 hp + 15-30 more hp as everyone is saying it has (380-390hp?) big gap! I don't know if its any idea measure on dyno if it has no meening or am I missing something? I don't want to pay a dyno owner if they can't do their job its pointless than.

Every dyno will give different numbers.. The dyno at 397 and the 345 both give 290 at the wheels. It's the software calculation that differs for the power at the flywheel

Every dyno will give different numbers.. The dyno at 397 and the 345 both give 290 at the wheels. It's the software calculation that differs for the power at the flywheel

True, we all know they are pretty fast for a car so let us leeve it like that :redface new:. Specs from Audi is 270 kw and 367 hk here and that is what I trust and know for shure at the moment.

hey..when u remove 2 cat automaticly you are lossing warranty?thanks

P.S sounds great

Yes any mods will likely lose the warranty but if it ever needs to go in for warranty work then you can swap the pipes over

Reactions: Kelza
This run did produce a little less than I was expecting, but I wouldn't worry too much as the engine hasn't done many miles.

Dyno Dynamics/Developments Dyno's are known to be accurate, but also known as the heart breaker dyno as they read lower than most others.
For what it's worth I have a background in instrumentation engineering and so take calibration of the Dyno very seriously. I use both a lab calibrated load cell and also a certified test weight accurate to a fraction of a gram to check the dyno's load cell calibration. It is not in my interest to fudge the figures for two reasons. Firstly I write all my own software maps and therefore need accurate results to see cause and effect. Secondly when I quote a power figure and then the customer takes the car to another Dyno, they are not going to come back to me complaining that it's underpowered...

Most factory standard cars I run make very close to manufacturers published figures. I tune a lot of Golf R's and S3's and they make between 292 and 296bhp usually, but some have been as low as the low 280's. On these it is often down to poor fuel batch, as when run on 95 they are making less than 280bhp. Factory quote 296. As another example, BMW 435D, factory quotes 309bhp, on my Dyno made 311bhp. 2014 BMW 125D quoted power is 215bhp, power on my Dyno 218bhp.

Dynojet dyno's are American and they are calibrated differently and are suitable really for comparing American wheel horse power numbers and aren't really that useful as a comparison in the UK. Google Dynojet vs Dyno Dynamics if you want more comparisons.

As a note, rolling roads, aka chassis dynos measure wheel horse power, and then estimate engine horse power. Engine horsepower rightly or wrongly is what is used in the UK for comparisons. Maha Dyno's are quality and accurate dynos when it comes to measured wheel power, but, for some reason give highly inflated transmission losses and therefore high flywheel/engine power figures.

This car was also run on a Maha dyno where it produced 280bhp at the wheels. On my Dyno, 287.6 bhp so pretty much identical. The difference is that the Maha adds over 100bhp, i.e. well over 30% for transmission loss, which is unrealistic.

The RS3 8V quoted power is 361bhp, so we are about 4.5% down in this case.

If anyone has an RS3, I will give you a power run free of charge for interest/educational purposes, just drop me a PM :)

Thanks, Rick

Reactions: Schlaag, Spaceman_RS3, T-800 and 6 others
I'd pop in if you weren't 200 miles away Rick ;)

People get too hung up on HP. All I know is the car is ****** rapid and that's coming from a 450hp Impreza, a 375hp Spec C and 354hp S5.

TX.

This run did produce a little less than I was expecting, but I wouldn't worry too much as the engine hasn't done many miles.

Dyno Dynamics/Developments Dyno's are known to be accurate, but also known as the heart breaker dyno as they read lower than most others.
For what it's worth I have a background in instrumentation engineering and so take calibration of the Dyno very seriously. I use both a lab calibrated load cell and also a certified test weight accurate to a fraction of a gram to check the dyno's load cell calibration. It is not in my interest to fudge the figures for two reasons. Firstly I write all my own software maps and therefore need accurate results to see cause and effect. Secondly when I quote a power figure and then the customer takes the car to another Dyno, they are not going to come back to me complaining that it's underpowered...

Most factory standard cars I run make very close to manufacturers published figures. I tune a lot of Golf R's and S3's and they make between 292 and 296bhp usually, but some have been as low as the low 280's. On these it is often down to poor fuel batch, as when run on 95 they are making less than 280bhp. Factory quote 296. As another example, BMW 435D, factory quotes 309bhp, on my Dyno made 311bhp. 2014 BMW 125D quoted power is 215bhp, power on my Dyno 218bhp.

Dynojet dyno's are American and they are calibrated differently and are suitable really for comparing American wheel horse power numbers and aren't really that useful as a comparison in the UK. Google Dynojet vs Dyno Dynamics if you want more comparisons.

As a note, rolling roads, aka chassis dynos measure wheel horse power, and then estimate engine horse power. Engine horsepower rightly or wrongly is what is used in the UK for comparisons. Maha Dyno's are quality and accurate dynos when it comes to measured wheel power, but, for some reason give highly inflated transmission losses and therefore high flywheel/engine power figures.

This car was also run on a Maha dyno where it produced 280bhp at the wheels. On my Dyno, 287.6 bhp so pretty much identical. The difference is that the Maha adds over 100bhp, i.e. well over 30% for transmission loss, which is unrealistic.

The RS3 8V quoted power is 361bhp, so we are about 4.5% down in this case.

If anyone has an RS3, I will give you a power run free of charge for interest/educational purposes, just drop me a PM :)

Thanks, Rick

I'll take you up on that offer Rick.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and 5pot
That sounds lovely mate.

I take it that's the sports exhaust along with the cat bypass fitted?

@81llyh - Where did you get the secondary cat delete tubes made?

Thanks in advance,

N

Cheers - I work in Leeds one day a week so that's perfect!

The result of today's dyno 4wd dyno dynamics

Reactions: AndyB-S3
Just skip to towards end, the popping and banging is the best bit
wub.png
11.gif
84.gif
m0165.gif

Reactions: AudiNutta and AndyB-S3
Thought that was the heartbreaker!! Good results.

TX.