Seatbelt Ping

A5GUR

Reaction score
I read somewhere on the forum that the seatbelt ping can be deactivated via VAGCOM. Is this something i can ask my dealer to sort before i take delivery of the car.

I know its a safety feature, but alot of time a need to go literally down the road, so its a little annoying.

ta very much!

You can ask, but they may not be prepared to de-activate it as it's a safety item. The simple answer is to put your belt on. I do it so automatically that I even put it on to drive the car from the drive into the garage!

Have to agree with Dave here, why on earth anyone needs this disabled is beyond me - just wear your damn seatbelt!

I don't have the seatbelt ping... How comes?

I got a 2003 (53) 2.0TDI SE

I don't have the seatbelt ping... How comes?

I got a 2003 (53) 2.0TDI SE

My 2004 2.0TDI SE didn't have it either but my new 2007 model does. Obviously a latter addition.

I asked the dealer to turn mine off,but they wouldn't.
It's damned annoying to have it 'ping ping ping' away at you every time you put anything lighter than a feather on the passenger seat.
My daughter's booster seat can set it pinging away,even if she isn't in the damned thing.
Which means I have to move her seat to the back,or fasten the seat belt on an empty seat !
God forbid you want to carry a chinese carry-out on the passenger seat...
'PING PING'
"No,canton actually"

Reactions: deanr123
The delaer told me this actually turns off if you drive the car for a certain length of time with it sounding for the above reasons ie if you are carrying anything.

On the safety aspect all it takes is a run down the road to be involved in a pile up! For what.....2 seconds to click something in a buckle.

JamS3 said:
The delaer told me this actually turns off if you drive the car for a certain length of time with it sounding for the above reasons ie if you are carrying anything.

Yeah,but it takes a surprisingly long time.
It can also 're-trigger' itself halfway through your journey.
Presumably it flits between 'no-one there' and 'oops someone there now' mode.
You should at least be able to turn it off the passenger seat.

It appeared on 2006 models I think. My 2005 MY 3 door didn't have it.

It does stop pinging after about a minute or so, but the red light on the dash remains on. Whilst it is pinging, the indicator noise doesn't work - I presume it is the same sound source. I tend to be buckled up before I leave the drive though so not normally an issue.

Wonder if it is de-activated on the passenger side if you switch the airbag off? Just thinking if I take my daughter out in her car seat and it uses Isofix in the front and not the seatbelt (she is almost always in the back, but occasionally, I have a car full of luggage requiring the back seat to be folded down).

RobB said:
Wonder if it is de-activated on the passenger side if you switch the airbag off? Just thinking if I take my daughter out in her car seat and it uses Isofix in the front and not the seatbelt (she is almost always in the back, but occasionally, I have a car full of luggage requiring the back seat to be folded down).

I wouldn't have thought so.
It's not a legal requirement to have the airbag on,but it's always a legal requirement to wear a seatbelt.
So,airbag on or not,if it senses something heavy in the passenger seat it will ping.

On the safety aspect all it takes is a run down the road to be involved in a pile up! For what.....2 seconds to click something in a buckle.

And I for one would not like to be in front of an airbag without a seat belt on as they can deploy at relatively low speeds and impacts. A friend of mine hit a ramp in a car park at about 10mph and the bag activated and even with a belt on it was fairly traumatic!

Sorry folks who don't agree with belts. I've seen too many dead teenagers without seatbelts to give any time to this decision!

Re: the take-aways on passenger seat... Belt them in too. I don't want curry in my lap as penalty for enthusiastic cornering please. :)

I'm with Bowfer on this one...it does switch itself off but after far too long.

I live on a private estate and often drive from the garages at the back of my house around to the front, whether it be to pick the wife and kids up or whatever, or for putting stuff in it...and to have that ****** pining going on is irritating.

I think the option should be available to have it deactivated if you want it...as adults we are big enough to decide where and when to wear a belt etc. If you choose not to, then you may live to regret your decision, but I for one wear it all the time, and the pinging still ****** me off. And I assume anyone who habitually dosn't wear it would have the belt in all the time, and sit on top.

My passenger one does not ping yet my drivers one does??

Not bothered about the drivers one pinging... however the passenger one would be a pain for carrying things...certainly was in my golf

My passenger one does not ping yet my drivers one does??

Remembered to try this on my Sportback today and mine is the same. Seems that it now only works on the driver's seat.

Even the Owner's Manual now says "After switching on the ignition, the (seatbelt) warning lamp will remain lit until the driver has fastened his seat belt. When the vehicle has gathered speed you will also hear a warning chime"