Seat wont remember its last position.

RyanJonS4

Drive It Like You Stole It
Reaction score
My sisters boyfriend has just bought a six month old a3. Whenever he tilts his
seat forward to let people into the back, and then tries to put it back where it
started, it slides all the way back and he has to re-adjust it to his normal
driving position.

To me this doesn't seem normal and would be rather annoying. Is there a
problem with his seat or is there some sort of easy fix that has been
completely overlooked?

Thanks in advance

RyanJonS4

it used to happen to my 3 door it used to really pee me off .....

I seem to remember from a loooooong time ago that someone found a catch under the seat somewhere which stopped it remembering.

Mine does it. Always has done. Quite annoying. I make back seat passengers get in the passenger side door so I dont have to re-adjust my seat.

Guess I'm not the only one this happens to! At first I wondered why it felt different everytime I climbed into the car when I had to move it. Then realised the seat kept moving one notch further away from the steering wheel everytime I tried to put it back in place!

I now realise that we may be talking about different things.

There's the problem where the seat won't recline back to it's original position (see link above) and there the "problem" where the seat won't slide back to it's original position.

I use "s because it's user error as far as I can see.

Basically when you slide the seat forward you need to make sure that the top part is pushed all the way forward and clicks before you try to slide the whole seat back.

These seats are cr*p for this. Mine has the same problem.

I thought the old style seats in my 98 A3 were much better.

Used to happen to me on my old A3. If you look under the seat you will probably come across a little metal black clip. This clips tends to pop off the runners for some reason or other. It acts as a stop from where the seat was last positioned. Re-fitting the clip should resolve the issue.
However, if you cannot see/find the clip take it to the dealer.

Hope this helped out... worked for me ;-)

Like others said, if you follow the instruction manual every time you shouldn't have this problem.
I thought I had this problem, only to find out I was doing it wrong, the click is the important thing.

Otherwise, leave it to Audi to sort it out - this should not be a problem.

been my major gripe with my last 3 cars:banghead: (2 a3's and mk5 gti)
glad to read im not the only one!!

Had a look in the seat runner in his a3 and there was a little metal clip thing at the back
of it (cant think how to explain what it looks like).

I pushed this forward a couple of inches then slid the seat back onto it, and it now goes
back to its original position after its been tipped forward.

Cheers for the advice guys.
Help was much appreciated.

RyanJonS4