Seat wear

K44WMY

Reaction score
Hi sorry if this has been discussed already. But is it just me or is the wear on these seats terrible? My car has 9k on the clock and i use as a daily, no rough clothing etc and the side parts on the seats look terrible. Anybody else have this issue? And can we go about getting rectified via warranty?

Attachments

• 16853699320998704280406041675336.jpg
    16853699320998704280406041675336.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
Hi sorry if this has been discussed already. But is it just me or is the wear on these seats terrible? My car has 9k on the clock and i use as a daily, no rough clothing etc and the side parts on the seats look terrible. Anybody else have this issue? And can we go about getting rectified via warranty?
Just the way that the Nappa leather seats are in all Audis in my experience. Not really much you can do about it unfortunately and I doubt that Audi would entertain anything to do with it. Just down to the leather being so soft I seem to recall.

That's not really wear imho, just naturally creases, after all it is skin, I was expecting to see worn like bolsters faded black to white bits, I wouldn't worry about it tbh,.nothing you can do unless you treated it weekly with leather cream or the like I guess.

Reactions: Daggerit and Charlie Farley
looks like a normal type of creasing you would find on a leather car seat, as soon as one starts sitting on it and the foam starts compressing the leather will crease, part of life with leather seats i'm afraid.
the larger the bolsters and shaped sections the worse they can be.
the only way you won't get them is by not sitting on the seats from new, which is never going to happen.

Reactions: 8YARWY and NHN
looks like a normal type of creasing you would find on a leather car seat, as soon as one starts sitting on it and the foam starts compressing the leather will crease, part of life with leather seats i'm afraid.
the larger the bolsters and shaped sections the worse they can be.
the only way you won't get them is by not sitting on the seats from new, which is never going to happen.

Agreed.

Makes me laugh seeing these type of posts, especially when the ‘warranty’ card is played.

These were 4 year old on my FL when I sold it.

Cleaned and conditioned twice a year.

The creases were there around a couple of months of use.

Be easier to enjoy the car and worry less about such things.
3b1c2308a006f4385ce3c0243b6ba677.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it will nearly always be the driver's side seat base outer bolster and backrest outer bolster, just because that is where the most compression of the seat foam occurs when entering and exiting the car.
closely followed by the passenger seat depending on usage.
A lot of owners kinda like a bit of aging in their seats. :icon thumright:

Reactions: 8YARWY and Daggerit
The number of R8's I saw with terrible wear on the seats, would you spend £90k plus on a car with seats like this? and most R8's do very little mileage and then just compare it to the picture of my Golf R drivers seat at 45000 miles and 4 1/2 years old,

Plus a flat bottomed steering wheel with contrast stitching :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

IMG 9562
R8 Seat bolster wear

Last edited:
Reactions: flybynite
The number of R8's I saw with terrible wear on the seats, would you spend £90k plus on a car with seats like this? and most R8's do very little mileage and then just compare it to the picture of my Golf R drivers seat at 45000 miles and 4 1/2 years old,
Problem is you are comparing leather with cloth. As time as gone on cloth technology has improved so it is hard wearing and resistant, wheras they have found ways to make leather thinner and cheaper but still look good in the show room. The fancy patterns are made to look good but unfortunately little thought goes into how they will last as the thin leather stretches.

Compare the leather from even 10 years ago and you can see the difference.

It is interesting to look at the cars I have from the '70s and '80s to see how things have changed and what has stood the test of time.

Reactions: Mike.46, 8YARWY and NHN
I was about to say the comparisons mate are like chalk & cheese, materials are far apart so it's not a fair one tbh, leather by very nature will stretch again as it's skin, but synthetic won't as much or maybe at all, hence why that golf r looks newish.

Tbh I never liked full leather seats as for 1 summer you stick too & 2 winter it's freezing, alcantara middles ftw.

Reactions: Mike.46 and 8YARWY
Resolved with warranty lol. That’s wear from catching the seat bolster whilst getting in and out the car. Audi will laugh you out the showroom

Reactions: Mike.46 and Daggerit
They laugh us out of showrooms when we ask for a delivery within a year these days lol.

Reactions: Tommm, Mike.46 and Daggerit
Resolved with warranty lol. That’s wear from catching the seat bolster whilst getting in and out the car. Audi will laugh you out the showroom
I did have a TTS seat base changed under warranty which was a mistake, screws kept falling out of the plastic surrounds and the seat was twice as hard as the original base and I sat 'on it' instead of 'in it' if that makes sense

Reactions: Tommm
I was about to say the comparisons mate are like chalk & cheese, materials are far apart so it's not a fair one tbh, leather by very nature will stretch again as it's skin, but synthetic won't as much or maybe at all, hence why that golf r looks newish.

Tbh I never liked full leather seats as for 1 summer you stick too & 2 winter it's freezing, alcantara middles ftw.

Peasant spec is best lol…..
8605175f939b30fa699bb0934f299bc7.jpg

Reactions: Mike.46 and flybynite
FML lads, ppl on here seem to moan more than a woman does.. was just a simple question,. And it couldve been down to poor quality materials etc

After 9k miles my b9 s4 leathers were still mint, hence why i asked the question.

Thanks though for the ones that helped in their replies.

My car had a build week of 2022 week 16, then week 8, I actually went in early December21 to change from Leather to the no cost :tearsofjoy: option of Dynamica, only to be called the following day to be told BW had jumped to week 1 and no changes could be made unless I wanted to cancel and re-order, I think if I had taken that option I would still be without a car........

FML lads, ppl on here seem to moan more than a woman does.. was just a simple question,. And it couldve been down to poor quality materials etc

After 9k miles my b9 s4 leathers were still mint, hence why i asked the question.

Maybe the bolsters weren't quite as tight on you in the S4 or something then? My B9 S4 bolsters looked similar to the RS3 ones for similar mileage because they were the Nappa seats as well, seem to be very similar for me in my circumstances.

You asked the question so you are going to get replies whether they are positive or negative.
You mentioned it is your daily driver with 9k miles, that in itself will account for the issues you are experiencing, think about it, you are getting in and out of the driver's seat at least 4 -6 times a day, 5 days minimum over 9k miles, i'm surprised it is not worse than that given the area in question and the car used being used all the time.
have a look at the passenger side and upload a pic for us to compare, I think it will confirm its not a fault but just wear and tear through daily useage combined with lesser quality materials now being used.
Also seats are becoming more narrow moreso the seat base so you will find side bolsters on sports seats get more pressure than on wider seats used in larger models.

Reactions: Tommm and 8YARWY
And there is the size factor that nobody likes to admit too.
Seats don't expand or retract to accommodate differing body sizes, so if you are of a larger size then that will have a much bigger impact on the seat than a smaller size, just one of those details where one size doesn't fit all and will be relavant.

• Haha
Reactions: Tommm, Daggerit and 8YARWY
And there is the size factor that nobody likes to admit too.
Seats don't expand or retract to accommodate differing body sizes, so if you are of a larger size then that will have a much bigger impact on the seat than a smaller size, just one of those details where one size doesn't fit all and will be relavant.
You calling me fat?! :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

• Wow
You asked the question so you are going to get replies whether they are positive or negative.
You mentioned it is your daily driver with 9k miles, that in itself will account for the issues you are experiencing, think about it, you are getting in and out of the driver's seat at least 4 -6 times a day, 5 days minimum over 9k miles, i'm surprised it is not worse than that given the area in question and the car used being used all the time.
have a look at the passenger side and upload a pic for us to compare, I think it will confirm its not a fault but just wear and tear through daily useage combined with lesser quality materials now being used.
Also seats are becoming more narrow moreso the seat base so you will find side bolsters on sports seats get more pressure than on wider seats used in larger models.
That pic i uploaded was passenger side, hardly gets used. Same state as driver side

Completely normal, as with any leather sofas, jackets or anything leather lol. This is my drivers side vs passenger side. My daily in and out 8x/day, 3000 miles, 6 months old. Passenger side seldom used.

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpeg
    IMG_0562.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0563.jpeg
    IMG_0563.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
Reactions: Tommm and 8YARWY
Completely normal, as with any leather sofas, jackets or anything leather lol. This is my drivers side vs passenger side. My daily in and out 8x/day, 3000 miles, 6 months old. Passenger side seldom used.

I like your attitude Gazza84

Rare among RS3 owners to just accept it is what it is.