1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seat Occupied Sensor - Bypass on S3 / A3 8L?

mpsheen Jun 15, 2018

1. mpsheen

mpsheen New Member

My S3 came with bucket seats & the Airbag light on, I have popped fused resistors in for the seat Airbags which the code have cleared however VCDS is showing the following error:

00656 - Seat occupied Sensor, passenger side (G128)
    36-00 open circuit

I'm sure this means i need to pop in a resistor or resistor into the black plug under the passenger side to mimic the seat pressure switch being on, I had a quick hunt online and on here but i could only find relevant info for the B7,
    I could tape over the Airbag light but want to do this right & ideally want the seat to be in a place to always read there is a passenger .

Anyone know what resistors and what wires?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. mpsheen

mpsheen New Member

I've just been outside and removed the passenger seat, pulled some of the carpet up to try and find any connectors that the previous owner may have tried to hidden but all i can see is:

Yellow plug which i have popped a fused resistor on (this works preventing side airbag error)
    Red plug with brown wire , red/white wire.
    (I assume the red plug is for power for the original electric seats)

So next question; Does anyone have any information great or small on the seat occupancy or seat pads that are in standard seats and where they may connect to? , I have hunted around online and i cant really see much mention on this for the 8L so my intention is to locate a wire or similar and try and pop resistors in it till the light turns off. Then second stage is to get it to read that there is always a passenger in the car

Attached Files:

4. mpsheen

mpsheen New Member

Another update, I picked up some standard recaro leather seats lastnight but i'm still having the same code being thrown up.

There must be some other lead somewhere that the car is missing?
    I have attached a picture of the bottom of the seat connectors, There is a black plug which has nothing to go into it - I read online this maybe just for ground but its the only other thing i could think of that would attach to standard seats

Anyone have any information or would be kind enough to check this on theirs?

Edit: just including some numbers for reference in case people search and wind up here
    Address 15: Airbags Labels: 8L0-959-655-AI8.lbl
    Control Module Part Number: 8L0 959 655 L
    Component and/or Version: Airbag Front+Seite 7008
    Software Coding: 01114
    Work Shop Code: WSC 01236
    VCID: 479AC33365BE5306DC-5000
    1 Fault Found:

00656 - Seat Occupied Sensor; Passenger Side (G128)
    36-00 - Open Circuit

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  5. mpsheen

mpsheen New Member

Update: Issue resolved

I replaced the airbag ECU with a unit from eBay which was £10 delivered to test although decided to go for an older unit.

I swapped out 8L0 959 655 J for L , cleared the codes and boom no more airbag light or error for seat occupancy sensor, I've no idea what caused this as i cannot see any wiring anywhere which would suggest threes additional wires to the standard seats so i'm going to assume that someones tried to recode / tinker with the ECU controller OR its previously been swapped out OR its just faulty

Attached Files: