Seat belt warning light HELPPPPPPP

Shaun Osborne

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how to diagnose and fix a seat belt warning light issue. It lights up with my movements intermittently. Can I just disconnect the wire under my seat? Or will that make my airbag redundant?

If you want it can be disabled in VCDS

But sounds like your occupancy sensor needs replaced

Don’t disconnect the wires.

I had this years ago in a 2005 b7 2.0 tdi
Drove me crazy trying to see what was causing it until I bought a new seatbelt buckle receiver complete and replaced it
never had an issue in the last 10 yrs

If you want it can be disabled in VCDS

But sounds like your occupancy sensor needs replaced

Don’t disconnect the wires.
Occupancy sensor? Would the light not stay on permanent? It goes off if I jiggle the seat belt

try giving the seat belt recepticle a clean out , sometimes dirt can get inside and cause contact issues , failing that replace it as it is part of the seat belt circuit, and a known problematic part.

Reactions: Shaun Osborne
Driver's seat doesn't usually have the sensor, passenger does, although some do, but most not, but usually it's the belt clip, however I would diagnostically check before condemning.

Reactions: Shaun Osborne and Charlie Farley
Just plug the belt in without sitting on the seat , then see what happens if you wiggle the belt assembly etc.

Just plug the belt in without sitting on the seat , then see what happens if you wiggle the belt assembly etc.
try giving the seat belt recepticle a clean out , sometimes dirt can get inside and cause contact issues , failing that replace it as it is part of the seat belt circuit, and a known problematic part.
I'll try that Rob. Cheers guys, it sounds like it's likely to be the receptacle.

Do you mean the female part that your belt clicks into??

Yes.I bought a new one after much wasted time trying to eliminate any other possible causes Never had a problem since
You could try clean out the current one but if it happens again next week you still don't know if its the root cause or if its still something else causing it
Id just buy a new one and put the issue to bed ,or know for sure its something else causing it

Reactions: Shaun Osborne