1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Seat belt warning light HELPPPPPPP

Shaun Osborne Oct 31, 2020

1. Shaun Osborne

Shaun Osborne Registered User

Can anybody tell me how to diagnose and fix a seat belt warning light issue. It lights up with my movements intermittently. Can I just disconnect the wire under my seat? Or will that make my airbag redundant?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. tr7

tr7 Registered User

If you want it can be disabled in VCDS

But sounds like your occupancy sensor needs replaced

Don’t disconnect the wires.

4. mountainmile

mountainmile Registered User

I had this years ago in a 2005 b7 2.0 tdi
    Drove me crazy trying to see what was causing it until I bought a new seatbelt buckle receiver complete and replaced it
    never had an issue in the last 10 yrs

5. Shaun Osborne

Do you mean the female part that your belt clicks into??

6. Shaun Osborne

Occupancy sensor? Would the light not stay on permanent? It goes off if I jiggle the seat belt

7. I'm Just Rob.

I'm Just Rob. Moderating or something, Staff Member Moderator Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

try giving the seat belt recepticle a clean out , sometimes dirt can get inside and cause contact issues , failing that replace it as it is part of the seat belt circuit, and a known problematic part.

Shaun Osborne likes this.
  8. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Driver's seat doesn't usually have the sensor, passenger does, although some do, but most not, but usually it's the belt clip, however I would diagnostically check before condemning.

Shaun Osborne and I'm Just Rob. like this.
  9. I'm Just Rob.

I'm Just Rob. Moderating or something, Staff Member Moderator Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

yes, they can get crud in them causing contact issues or the contact fails .

10. I'm Just Rob.

Just plug the belt in without sitting on the seat , then see what happens if you wiggle the belt assembly etc.

11. Shaun Osborne

I'll try that Rob. Cheers guys, it sounds like it's likely to be the receptacle.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. mountainmile

mountainmile Registered User

Yes.I bought a new one after much wasted time trying to eliminate any other possible causes Never had a problem since
    You could try clean out the current one but if it happens again next week you still don't know if its the root cause or if its still something else causing it
    Id just buy a new one and put the issue to bed ,or know for sure its something else causing it