Sealey Oil extraction pump - Oil changes made easy!

Meemo

Reaction score
So i have been avoiding this years oil change after my jack broke last year, and it had never occured to me I dont even need to remove the sump to do an oil change! (I got a new low entry jack at the same time regardless)
Just received this today on recomendation of an ASN member, so excited to change my oil after work in record timing :D :D

27557015295_395316c9f8_o.jpg

I wish i knew i could get one of these sooner, no jacking the car, no sump plug removal.. just pop i in the dipstick tube and pump.. Heaven!

Good idea, looks like it could double up as a bong as well

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Reactions: CHEZ and Meemo
Well, I bought one of them, maybe with my S4 in mind as its oil filter is "on top"! Tried it on my wife's old Polo 1.4 as it was getting chopped in in a few month's time, I must confess I gave up after about two hours, I just could not be bothered with leaving it so long and pumping the vac "up" a few times! Also it takes quite a bit of cleaning afterwards, so now it only gets used to change the oil on my mower!

I'd expect that most people do not like to use that method to change oil as draining using the normal plug allows the oil quickly drain and pull any gunge out with it, not that my cars have any/much gunge in their oils.

Eh !

Pela / Sealey is much quicker , I used to leave a sump plug change dripping for half a day .

What mess ?

No gunk unless the interval is too long or oil quality is so so .

I think that if you are talking about using that bigger one you suggested the OP buy in the other thread, then maybe okay it could work out okay, but that smaller one, with its very small thick walled extraction tube, just takes for ever and it was not due to the end of the tube being blocked by sitting on the sump base, I moved it about a bit to experiment with it was I did want it to work well as I had just bought it for that sort of job, plus the smaller type might be trickier to clean out well enough for me!

There will always be some "drop out" of stuff from the oil lying on the base of the sump, the surge of dropping the oil out from the drain plug should sweep that out, that was all I was meaning, I just "jazzed" it up a bit to explain why I ended up sticking with the old method, which, I believe most proper workshops have returned to.

I bought the same thing (well, pela - but looks identical) for changing the oil in my Golf and it works an absolute treat, you do have to pump it up a few times but by the time you've changed the filter etc its ready to re-fill. I'm leaving the S4's oil changes to the dealers at the moment but if I wanted to do intermediate oil changes then it would be ideal.

I have the 6.5l one and can do an oil change in about 15 minutes. Just pump it up, drop in the hose and while its draining, I change the filter. I do it at work as we have a waste oil container. Great bit of kit compared to getting all the undertrays off!!

Reactions: Gazwould
I purchased an electric one few years ago. It's great to use connects to battery and while it's pumping up oil I change the filters then ready to re fill. Easy peasy.....did I really just type that

Manda, where did u buy and how much if you don't mind?
This would make it so much easier but do u think it will get all of the old oil out?

It may just be my silly way of looking at things but I think if I was using 1, first time round I'd suck as much oil out as I could then remove the sump plug as well just to see if it had taken everything out

Reactions: CoolAsIce
Stated oil capacity of my golf is 4 litres, it pulled out bang on 4l and 4l back in took it to the max. You can use it to empty the oil in the oil filter housing as well. There must be a bit left but it's pretty effective.

Depending on the car it goes further than that , below the oil filter housing is the oil cooler with some old black oil to suck out .

$_1.JPG

P2030060.JPG

Reactions: Meemo and xpoweruk
well i didnt get on with it well.

I heated the engine up fully (on a run to halford to get a 32mm socket for the oil filter.)
immediately after my 20 minute drive, popped open the dip stick and posted it through and started the pump.

At first sucked a good 2 litres, then stopped, i kept moving the tube incrementally further in and further out to make sure i was reaching oil, it would get a little more then stop again. got the last litre out basically constantly pumping and stopping now and then when it sounded like it was going again/

Did this for 3 hours and only got 3 litres out of the 4.2 i was expecting (mmi read third of oil remaining).

The oil was 13 months old and 15-20 k so may of been a factor, however this was not the easy solution I was hoping for.
Any suggestions as i will be doing another change in a few months as it was only partial :'(

insult to injury i decided stuff this i am taking the sump off, but my new jack wee'd hydrolic fluid and wouldnt raise!
new one since works great but no use at the time.
27642412505_9ddb92010f_c.jpg

27031530804_02d3470139_c.jpg

27642412435_7c04441ffe_c.jpg

Strange, the same unit worked a treat on my golf tdi but then it only need to extract 4l. I know some higher performance cars have baffles in the sump to stop the oil sloshing about when cornering - this might be the issue that you can't get to the bottom of the sump?

I take it you had the oil filler open too?

Reactions: Meemo
Ah didnt realise that was why you had suggested the larger one, I thought it was just capacity so though i woudl save some pennies.. oops

Oh bother, same findings as I had, a bit of a downer to say the least, I too was expected great things from this - why don't things work like you think they should???

Edt:- anyway, today could just be the day for getting the engine oil warmed up and dumped into a proper oil drain basin/tray, then having fun persuading the 6.5 litres into an empty oil container or two with minimal oil getting on to the garage floor!

If I change my oil at home I run the car up the pavement on passenger side and a couple of pieces of 6" x 2" timber on the drivers side. Plenty of space then to crawl under and remove the sump tray and plug.

Pavement servicing - eh? Not for me, I've always bought houses with a driveway and garage so that I can keep out of the way when doing jobs on my cars!

S4 is currently up on two Jackpoint jackstands and engine oil draining, after finishing off the oil change it will be brake fluid changing - so that means lifting the back up onto another two Jackpoint jackstands and getting all the wheels off so that the brakes can get a clean as well. Then it will be spilling old oil on the garage floor while saying some very bad words - you can't do that out in the open!

I have a 4 post ramp at work, a 3 car side by side drive and a double garage, but was trying to demonstrate how anyone can easily raise their car to drain the oil.

I am lucky that no-one parks on the street where I live and the street is wide enough for others to pass with ease if I do decide to crawl under the car or wash it at home. Hardly anyone else washes their car at home, they must get it done at a car wash in town. And absolutely no-one works on their cars or has any decent tools!

Working on a 4 post ramp is great, it takes seconds to go up and down so you can be underneath, then under the bonnet. We have a proper oil drain drum with massive funnel on top with mesh, so no dropping of drain plugs into an old washing up bowl!

Last edited:
Well job done, no drain plug in draining bowl - just some kimwipe! Today's discovery, and it has taken a while for me to work it out, it could be that my oil of choice is Mobil1, but their 5ltr containers are a pain to dump the old oil into - Fuch 5ltr containers wins hands down! One other thing, having cars that use a bit of oil was okay as I ended up with an increasing number of empties to dump old oil into, now I have not got that luxury so it looks like screen wash containers will need to come to my rescue next time - or maybe just rotate the old oil containers.

Size of driveways, well mine is going to cost me quite a bit to get resurfaced as I'm fed up with grey chips that get loaded up with grit/sand after heavy rain, think I need a "bowled" concrete area at the side of the garage to wash cars and jack up cars outside the garage - then bitmac the rest!

Edit:- Your comments about no one else around having tools etc or the willingness(ability) to do jobs on their cars, yes same here, usually got a very good reason(excuse) why it makes no sense!!

Reactions: scottshere
I had my drive laid with patterned concrete. It takes no looking after at all, nowhere for weeds to grow. Any oil drips (only from visiting landrovers ;) ) can be wiped up leaving no trace. It's clean to walk on so no gravel stuck in treads of shoes.

Cost about £75 per square metre so soon adds up, but well worth it.

My concern about using the pumps is that your never sure your getting all the crud out of the bottom of the sump, when you remove the sump plug the oil poring out drags the crud with it. I would use one for a 1/2 year oil change but not for yearly or an AVS service.

Some my particular problems are, living almost on "the snow line" - ie the point where snow tends to stay lying when elsewhere has cleared in winter, and sloping driveway, the choice of bitmac and a thick layer that, should stop the permafrost getting a grip - drive freezes at night in winter, it gets a short period of thawing in the day, then even with temperatures not going back down too low, the freezing subsoil refreezes the driveway, so it end up with a glazed ice surface that needs lots of salt to make safe. Concrete, I think would not survive too long in these conditions especially if it gets a lot of salt on it. Hence the preference for using winter tyres in winter, a mile down the road, in the local "town" - no snow/ice on roads!!

On all of TDI I've never had I never get nice clean oil, with all the oil still left in the engine & pipework etc once you let the engine run a little then check the oil level, it's start to go black again. Also the blow-by with diesel engine is going to be sooty so again even if your oil is nice & golden it won't take long to look black again.

I think the main issue is with the petrol turbo engines, the older 1.8 & 2.0 engine had problem with the oil strainer getting blocked, so I just like to make sure as much of the crud is gone. I usually pour 1/2 litre clean oil in the engine to make sure it get as mush as possible of the bits out of the sump.