Sealed paintwork and the frosty weather

axelfols

Reaction score
The water beads wonderfully after a few coats of Werkstat over the last few months. The problem is that now that the water sits on the bodywork, when the temp drops the locks and door seals freeze over. I dry car thoroughly but the problem seems to reappear. I have noticed that other cars in my street do not have this problem. Is it a down side to havig sealed paintwork?

possibly, you cannot always have a gleaming bodywork when you park the car outside. as long as the paintwork is sealed then your car is better protected than the other cars in your street.

Frozen lock are probably just due to water in the mechanism after washing. Unless you give the locks a blow dry after washing, then the water will freeze in no time really.

Some WD40 either before or after washing will reduce the risk of freezing.

Nothing to do with the paint sealant I'm afraid.

Have you considered giving it a scrub on a day thats not so cold?

That would be a consideration if weren't so cold. I don't know where you are but in Edinburgh, it hasn't stopped being frosty for some time now. I have removed excess beading water and that helps to a degree. The problem is that when the frost lifts during the day water (dampness) appears the following night and it gets progressively worse as the week goes on.as the water just sits there gathering. Top tip jr001. Tried the WD40 and it works a treat. Nice one.