1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Michael O'Connor

Michael O'Connor Guest

I work in Enfield (North-east London). For some reason there are TONS of seagulls on the site of where I work. I came out of work yesterday to find some bird had basically exploded it's guts down the side of my car in several places.

Had to park pretty far up the road from where I live last night so couldn't really be bothered to walk back up the road with hot water and cloths to get the messoff the car. Went and gave the car a quick jet wash rinse this morning which removed it, all good.

Came out this afternoon to find another one had done a huge one on my roof. I'm at home now, parked across the road this time and ready to go out and get rid of it.

I'm an animal lover but I really wish there could be a cull of seagulls in London. A sea-cull.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2018
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. joinerman

joinerman Well-Known Member

Don't leave it on the car to long, it will eat into the paint.

4. Michael O'Connor

Michael O'Connor Guest

Thanks man I know. As soon as I'm home I usually go soak it with a microfiber laid over it followed by hottish water, then 'pinch' it off.

5. KrisKrk

KrisKrk A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant

Get a air rifle and a scope with tripod.
    Take a position and camouflage like a sniper and shoot them.
    Just be careful. With all that disguise, they might not notice you and you’ll end up with it on your head.

Seen a documentary about Heathrow Airport.
    They’ve got a “Bird patrol” there to prevent pigeons and other flying rats getting sucked into plane engines. Vehicles they use to patrol around have eagle or hawk scream through the speakers to scare them off.
    That might be another thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FBF01 likes this.
  6. Michael O'Connor

Michael O'Connor Guest

That's a pretty cool idea. Maybe I could build some kind of seagull sensor into the car that activates when one is anywhere within a 50m vicinity, and lets off a hawk scream.

7. SteveMcB

SteveMcB Well-Known Member

They're a protected species, who knows why, they're a menace.

A few years ago we were down in St Ives, the gulls there are massive and literally mugging kids for ice creams.

KrisKrk likes this.
  8. Tj 0785

Tj 0785 Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter Silver Supporter VCDS Map User

We had one on a building site I was on not long ago guy turned up with a air rifle shooting pigeons and another had some sort of hawk/eagle to scare them off

9. KrisKrk

KrisKrk A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant

Another thing is:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...4!1sdZ7MBfbVXw0pnzly-quW_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It is some sort of hawk/eagle looking like kite. As you can see in the google map, this kite is on strong string or line and attached to a mast on top of the building with INDIGO advert on the wall (corner of New King's Rd and Harwood Rd in Fulham, London). This flies freely in the wind imitating real "predator".
    Been driving past this spot for 4 years and have not seen any pigeons or other flying rats in that area.

10. Raiden

Raiden Well-Known Member

LOL let me guess you work near Baker St? There Fing everywhere up that end. I went to chace school and they are always on the field due to the kids chucking there food waste on the ground. I just keep Autoglym bird poop wipes in the car as there always cr@pping on cars

11. rum4mo

rum4mo Well-Known Member

When I was a boy, I used to pop them off with a .22 rifle, even from quite long range, once from quite close to where my sister was walking, stupid/dangerous I now know, but then?. It had been on a roof top, then it slid down dead almost at her feet, it was a black back I think and had seriously long wings!!

At a local fishing port, some of the guys laced bits of herring with something like soda crystals, when the gulls ate that then took a sip of water they sort of gassed up badly, then with any luck exploded - and that was that, their last supper you might say! No harm done as they can be vicious beggars and plenty more to replace them?

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Michael O'Connor

Michael O'Connor Guest

Haha nah but not far from there, Enfield college on Hertford road. Are the wipes any good? Might be a worthy investment at this rate. I've started parking in another car park there where there's no seagulls, but it's right next to the sports department so there's always students round there, which I'm not keen on... I think the seagulls are in the other one because there's bins in that car park.

14. CHEZ

CHEZ moderately amusing Supporter

Just buy a plastic eagle owl and stick it on your roof.
    That will work until it gets nicked lol

Raiden likes this.
  15. Pinky1959

Pinky1959 Well-Known Member

We were up in Fort William for the weekend and took the steam train to Mallaig , The gulls there are massive and down the harbour there was one huge one camping on top of a car (Luckily an old suv ) it wouldn't move when anyone went near .

16. Samuel c5 Q

Samuel c5 Q Active Member Silver Supporter VCDS Map User

They were laughing at me when I was working on the cordoba yesterday.

Sandra likes this.
  17. Andy F

Andy F S3 quattro Too Darn Soulful!Get You Some A That !

Seagulls here @ Sorrento view off our balcony. But no probs My Baby tucked up in bed lol 20180407_201946.jpg AndyF Team Navarra 20180603_145748.jpg

18. Shocker

Shocker Active Member

It’s illegal to shoot seagulls/ wild birds now
    New laws protecting birds and upto 5 years in jail now
    It’s not the seagulls fault they are just trying to feed their self and young
    It’s our fault man/women The country’s leaders has rapped and emptied the seas of their natural food so they are just trying to survive by coming inland
    When the world population starts to realise we/ humans have ****** this planet it’s going to be to late for us but the gulls/animals will be back and eat the flesh from our bones lol
    I find tesco green baby wipes are the best for bird poop they seem to dissolve it very easily and rapid

19. boffin486

boffin486 Well-Known Member

Well I live in Aberdeen & the gulls are an ever present menace. They seem to gang up on your car (so it looks like a SKIP of it has been emptied on your motor) & on top of that, I swear they feed on cement powder as it goes rock solid too............... :gun2:
    B'stards.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Andy F likes this.
  20. ch1z64

ch1z64 C'mon you's bhoy's in Green Silver Supporter VCDS Map User

Like you I stay in Aberdeen Torry to be exact and the Polish neighbour things it a great thing to throw food out to them , now we have 2 who never leave to go to sea as they would usually do in winter as she feeds the fookers and doesn't listen when you explain to her about the mess usually it's the no understandy what you say

21. Andy F

Andy F S3 quattro Too Darn Soulful!Get You Some A That !

@ch1z64
    I got one K/H down the road 3 doors away that feeds same time every day .
    AndyF Team Navarra

22. Samuel c5 Q

Samuel c5 Q Active Member Silver Supporter VCDS Map User

Just so you all know. My 6k5 cordoba vario spat the diff and had a few other issues so it was unfortunately time to go to the big scrap yard in the sky although I've been reliably informed that it's actually China they go to. I miss her terribly.

CHEZ likes this.
Tags: