SDHC Card/USB Stick won't play some music

junglemusic

Reaction score
OK, so I've got a brand new (B9) 2016 A4 with the MMI, SD Card slots and USB slots.

The manual states that it will support SD Cards and USB Sticks up to 128GB.
I have now tried with a 128GB USB Stick formatted to Fat32 and NTFS, and a 128GB SDHC formatted to Fat32, and each time getting the same result:
All of the folders show on the MMI, but when you go in to the folders, some of them are showing as empty (no readable files).
I've double checked the files are actually on there and readable.

Any ideas what it might be?
All files are .mp3 by the way.

Please help - I'm at my wits end

Ive seen this before in a thread (looking for it now)

If I recall correctly, it was something to do with the file structure on the SD/USB. There are limits to how many MP3 files the MMI can read within a single folder. Are you filling 128Gb to capacity - how many songs?

Thanks but this doesn't apply to me in this case. All my music is split in to albuk folders so there are loads of folders each containing roughly 10-25 tracks in each folder. For the missing tracks it show the folder but has nothing inside it. So it's not missing out random tracks here and there, it's missing out whole folders worth of tracks.

Ive seen this before in a thread (looking for it now)

If I recall correctly, it was something to do with the file structure on the SD/USB. There are limits to how many MP3 files the MMI can read within a single folder. Are you filling 128Gb to capacity - how many songs?

Not quite to capacity. 90-100gb which I'd guess is 10-15000 tracks

Last edited:
OK, sorry, can't help more. The file structure issue is the only one Ive seen relating to missing MP3 files.

There are loads of different scenarios listed on google.

Good luck, and don't forget to post an update if you find a solution :grinning:

Are there any maximum track number limits on the new MMIs? Either tracks per directory or total tracks?

the old RNS-E units (~2003, 4Gb max SD card size) used to have a limit of 400 "allocation units", be those MP3's, M3U's or folders... so I wouldn't rule out anything with he way Audi implements these systems! Just a thought in case they still have the same limit, albeit 32x higher...