SD SatNav

IBaudiSport

Reaction score
When my wife and I ordered our Audis in July 2014, we added SatNav. I've got the A3 Sline sportback, she's got the A1 Sport sportback, both with some toys. However I didn't get the tech pack....

The salesman told us that the SatNav came with five 'free' updates included in the cost which helped explain why the SatNav was nearly £500. I've noticed more and more roads with the wrong speed limit posted. A couple of local roads had their speed limits reduced at least two years before I bought the cars but show the old higher limit in the SatNav display.

So...and some of you will probably guess where this is going...I emailed the dealer last week to try and get the first of those updates applied... Apparently the salesman was wrong, only the tech pack SatNav gets updates. The SD SatNav can not be upgraded by buying a new SD card, normally £270. Nearly double the price of a decent TomTom! For a data update. Not even Apple or MS would try that.

I expressed my displeasure to the dealer, reiterating that the only reason we'd paid £500 per car for SatNav was the promised five updates.

The dealer has come back with a one off price of £200 for the first update, the subsequent ones being full price.

You could describe me as unimpressed. I already have weekly "should've got the tech pack" thoughts, before this.

If it wasn't for the fact I like the integration with the rotary control, driver's central display and the lack of trailing wires, I'd be straight onto Amazon to order a TomTom 6100.

Has anyone else had a similar experience.

£500 for SD sat nav sounds about right but you were misinformed about the updates, it is the tech pack high or HD based nav that comes with the 5 free updates costing the best part of £1200 with an extra £300 for connect or thereabouts. With HD nav you can download an update every 6 months via the my.audi website.

From what I've seen on here I'd snap his hand off for £200, for SD nav it's the cost of the card and then an hours labour to have it coded to the vehicle which can push it closer to £300.

Reactions: Gordo77
Yes, but it would be £200 for the first update, £270 for the four remaining ones. That's £1280 in total. For what was sold as free. Which doesn't seem quite so good. Oh, and that's just for the A3.

In case anyone's wondering, I didn't get the tech pack because I was upgrading from a 2008 Ford Fiesta and didn't want to be greedy.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Are the road layouts changing significantly where you drive, that you need to update, and how long do you plan to keep the car? I know you mention about speed limits changing, but is there any guarantee the latest maps will have the new limits on them?

Audi sales people not knowing their products is nothing new I'm sorry to say. Agree with @Rob2k68 ...£200 is a bargain.

I know the roads around where I live, but it's when I'm not driving locally that the SatNav is used most.

There's a phrase we use in IT: "Bad data is worse than no data."

@Gordo77, the sales person not knowing their stuff isn't really an excuse. He said the price included the updates, on which I based my decision to buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Gordo77, yes their word against mine. The salesperson left the dealership about 18 months ago.

I guess that the A5 or TT that I'd like next might come from another dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk