SD Sat Nav or Technology Pack

Am I the only one to be slightly worried Apple might integrate their own bull**** software in to my future car and I won't have a choice in the matter?

Reactions: veeeight
The choice will come down to $$$ and Audi won't stop using the MMI Nvidia Tegra anytime soon, imagine the massive costs they've put into system.

Will be more of a added extra more then anything else, short term at least.

Am I the only one to be slightly worried Apple might integrate their own bull**** software in to my future car and I won't have a choice in the matter?

You're not alone. I am not looking forward to embracing Car Play.

Some things are best left non-converged.

Reactions: Pulp84
First
In
Rallying

That's as good as saying Audi were the first to use alloy wheels in rallying. The technology already existed, Audi were extremely uncompetitive in Rally world, they needed something to give the them an advantage, so they used an alternative drivetrain. Whoopee.

You're always telling me Apple are best, now you're saying don't buy iphone?

What if I want an iPhone but not want anything Apple in the car?

Because you just know that every subsequent release of iOS is gonna screw up something majorly ;)

They have been making the iPhone for 7 odd years now Apple and I can not think of a software release that I have been happy with or not had some type of issue with. Same with the ipad. It's a hateful thing - useful sometimes but restrictive and not as stable as I would like it to be.

It really does worry me that future cars will be ruined by their poor software.

I'm not a total Apple hater either - Android is not exactly confidence inspiring......

You moan too much, makes me think you don't like it. I want you to be happy.

Equally I'm sure you can turn it off, value I can see CarPlay / Android Auto adding is MMI app integration like Spotify, etc

They have been making the iPhone for 7 odd years now Apple and I can not think of a software release that I have been happy with or not had some type of issue with. Same with the ipad. It's a hateful thing - useful sometimes but restrictive and not as stable as I would like it to be.

It really does worry me that future cars will be ruined by their poor software..

You only have to look at the Apple Support Communities/Forum to see that iOS 8 has really screwed over some people, especially those with older hardware.

You moan too much, makes me think you don't like it. I want you to be happy.

I like bits of it (the bits that work properly). I like the UI. I hate the bits that don't work properly.

It's certainly not the utopia that you make it out to be.

Apple will update car play every other week - you watch. They can't leave stuff alone. It will be really frustrating.

I worry more that manufacturers will develop the whole human user interface with Apple / Android. I don't want the whole car controls / settings and DIS designed by Apple. But can see it going that way. :puke2:

LOL I knew when I mentioned CarPlay that this thread would explode. Even after I was careful to mention the main competitor too :)

I love Apple kit, especially the iPhone 4 with the auto airplane mode (just hold it in your hand) ;)
No, seriously though, I've a ton of apple kit. iOS 8 will quickly improve with the updates, the software division has it more difficult now that iOS updates are tied to hardware releases.

IMO CarPlay will be great once adopted by the manufacturers.

Interesting responses, sadly most of it goes straight over my head.......... I'm from the era when even a radio was an extra.

I'm a real technophobe and I can do most stuff on my phone when I've stopped so personally (just my opinion) prefer to concentrate and enjoy the driving. The SD car satnav does everything that I'd want it for. But I fully understand why people wan the latest stuff, but it's bad enough with people on the dog and bone when they are driving let alone using twitter and Facebook. It does happen I've seen it. Not that any one on here would be so distracted I'm sure.

There was a recent TV programme which was about increasing rates of distraction of drivers by in car media. They did suggest that there 'could' be some future legislation to prevent distraction accidents. Who knows????

Yeah, there's probably too much distractions in cars now, most of it should be locked down when on the move.

I can hardly contain my excitement I think I am going to poop my pants

I simply cannot wait for Car Play to appear in my car so I can drive my mobile phoney on the screen. Something I've always felt was missing from my sad life.

Squeeeeeeeeeee.

:rolleyes:

Siri is NOT the future ....... :p

fmHeyYo.jpg

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ses-potentially-dangerous-driver-distractions
http://newsroom.aaa.com/2014/10/imp...using-potentially-unsafe-driver-distractions/

Can anyone confirm whether you can link your outlook calendar from an iPhone to the Audi Connect or MMI. I have always thought that rather than manually type in postcodes it would be great if the car synced with your calendar and identified postcodes from there.

I also read that you can load the sat nav with addresses via an app, so could add all of your addresses for the next day in (if you were organised)

It will be he tech pack with audi connect.

Thanks

I've found no way of syncing any Outlook data with my Audi Connect services. I'd really like to be able to pick up email through the system, it can't be too hard to implement!

Can anyone confirm whether you can link your outlook calendar from an iPhone to the Audi Connect or MMI. I have always thought that rather than manually type in postcodes it would be great if the car synced with your calendar and identified postcodes from there.

I also read that you can load the sat nav with addresses via an app, so could add all of your addresses for the next day in (if you were organised)

It will be he tech pack with audi connect.

Thanks

I'm assuming that was a typo and that you meant Contacts not Calendars? Yes The Sat Nav can find destinations based on your contacts and once you select a Contact you don't need to enter any more information.

No I meant calendar. Like today I have 2 postcodes in my calendar which I had to type in on my PC. It would be nice if I could get them onto my sat nav without typing them again whilst sat in the car.

Just seen a video online however where an app lets you type the post codes into the sat nav remotely via I phone, so this is the next best thing I guess.

Good to hear about the contacts too, that could be good...thanks

I think that perhaps is asking too much (to pick up postcodes from a calendar, even though it sounds an interesting idea). You probably realise that you can select destinations on your computer using Google Maps and then use the feature "Send To Car" - that sends the destination you selected on the map to the MMI and works very well. Or you can use my.audi.com and do the same there, or the one I really like is Picture Destinations. Get someone (or do it yourself) to take a photo on their phone and send it to you. You can then use the Audi app MMI Connect (or my.audi.com) to import that into your car and the car will then navigate to that destination with no other destination input.

Reactions: nickatkinson
Thanks and yes that it just as good, especially if I can teach my mrs how to upload all my addresses for the week haha.

The picture nav feature sounds really interesting. Does it have to be a prominent landmark, or just any building or residential area? Suspect it would have to be something mainstream as all the examples I have seen on videos are things like the London eye etc.

No any photo which has an embedded GPS location (i.e. taken with a smartphone) can then be used to navigate to. I have a photo of my driveway and I use that as my "home" location - that way there is no possibility (if my car were to be stolen) that the thief would know to navigate to that innocuous place!