SD Card

J4CK

Reaction score
What format do you use for SD Card on a Mac?

I have just tried an SD card to play music but it said all files were damaged,

I have checked and it is MS-Dos Fat 32 format,I have a Mac not windows, is it possible to re format the card so it will work?

Or is getting an AMI cable for USB better? Or would that still need to be formatted the same?

@J4CK You can format your SD card on your Mac then drag’n’drop files (MP3, etc) on to it either in folders, which the car recognises, or just all at the top level.

On your Mac you will have an application called Disk Utility. You can use this to reformat the SD card in the right format which should be either FAT or FAT32. From memory don’t think you can do exFAT from Disk Utility but could be wrong. Don’t use NTSF as Macs can’t write to this format by default. Let me know if you need a walkthrough.
Cable is the only choice if you want CarPlay and the apps that work with that but SD card is a good option for additional storage.

Did you go for the B&O?

Thanks for the reply,

It's already correctly formatted,

I let it go through all the corrupt files and it found another batch of songs that would work, so each song it on there twice and only one works, I guess that's just how they made it :pride:

Mines got the Bose

I'd check the manual to see if the MMI will accept cards bigger than 32Gb. If not then you'll need to use the FAT32 format or ExFAT if it'll accept SDXC cards. I'd also try a full format on the card, not a quick one because you want to erase the files on it properly, not just pretend they're not there.

I believe the issue is using a Mac & PC suitable format, it creates 2x files on the drive for each system to read,

That's why it scrolls through the first songs saying they are damaged but will play the second batch,

Just a thing Mac users have the deal with I guess

Before you eject the SD card on the Mac, you need to ‘clean’ it to make it Windows/Linux friendly by removing all the invisible Mac files - those are the ones that the MMI is saying are corrupt/unplayable.

Download OptimUSB or Eject for Windows from the Apple app store. I think there are some others that do a similar thing.

John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is exactly what I was after, thank you so much :)