SD Card Satellite Navigation Map Updates

firebits

A4 Avant Sport 1.4 TFSI
Reaction score
I've been told by my local Audi Dealer that I cannot get map updates from My Audi for SD Card Satellite Navigation and that I have to purchase a new SD Card from them. Is this true that I have to replace the SD Card each time I need map updates, how much are the SD Cards and how often do the updates come out?

Yup, afraid so, normally they come out yearly I think, and each card needs to be activated to stop people sharing the maps, so don't be tempted to buy one from eBay as it probably can't be activated.

I thought the maps were updated every 6 months.

I thought the maps were updated every 6 months.

They are for people that are non- SD Card based, but it's a bit harsh to expect someone to pay £300 odd every 6 months ;)

They are for people that are non- SD Card based, but it's a bit harsh to expect someone to pay £300 odd every 6 months ;)
£300? Jaysus, hello CarPlay!

Reactions: TripleD
It's more than £300 and + activation, the price, forgive the pun, unfortunately for choosing the sd based version not the hard drive one...

Rather upsetting! I wish I'd known that, but I guess its my fault not for asking the question. That amount of money seems completely absurd though.

that will explain why I was shown driving in a field, when recently using the leeming bar / bedale bypass.
given the fact the bypass was opened august 2016 and didn't collect the car until feb 2017, shouldn't this road have been mapped to the SD card
not that i will be upgrading the maps at that cost

I'm afraid the maps are somewhat out of date by the time we get them!

And Audi do not not actually program the maps thus it depends upon the supplier to keep the roads up to date and that might depend on which country their focus is on. This obviously will depend upon where they get their data from...

Who actually uses Audi Nav? Google Maps through Android Auto and Google Earth through Audi connect (while I still have the trial) are both much, much better. Once Waze is supported through Android Auto it's game over for those too.

Pete

Who actually uses Audi Nav? Google Maps through Android Auto and Google Earth through Audi connect (while I still have the trial) are both much, much better. Once Waze is supported through Android Auto it's game over for those too.

Pete
I don't think so...
There are people who (believe it or not) don't have (or want) a smart mobile phone and have no idea what a Waze is (other than something that's done in the bathroom)...and yeah, I'm one of em.

I don't think so...
There are people who (believe it or not) don't have (or want) a smart mobile phone and have no idea what a Waze is (other than something that's done in the bathroom)...and yeah, I'm one of em.

Indeed, I for one am happy there's people who happily join the back of tailbacks they could easily avoid :) Makes the alternate routes that Waze suggests much quieter.

Pete

Pete

Doesn't Google Earth through Audi Connect still use the Audi Nav software? Google maps on my phone and through the nav have given me different routes to the same place - vastly different in some cases.

I though all Google Earth through Audi Connect did was give you the satellite image instead of a standard Nav map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been stated the 'google maps' is an overlay of of google satellite on top of the audi map, so maybe thats why there's a difference?

Pete

Too much messing around and as of yet, the integration isn't tight enough. I don't want to have to mess around plugging my phone in every time I get in the car. In reality you'd think Google would just licence maps to the car manufacturers with an embedded "Google" SIM that was unlimited data for maps purposes. Then have a cached version of maps installed in the car (perhaps at a specific resolution) which is used unless an updated area is found on the route (or if no signal), with updates being applied in real-time so they're there for subsequent journeys.

Trouble with relying solely on a solution like Google/Apple Maps via Android Auto/Carplay that relies on a constant data signal is that you then lose the maps as soon as data signal is lost, non existent or variable and there are lots of areas around the UK that have variable signal, or none at all

To avoid that, you then have to start storing maps on the phone itself, taking up memory space