sd card sat nav update

paulo16

Reaction score
hi, apologies if this has been covered but I couldn't find the exact question/answer on what I wanted to know..

basically I have a 65 plate s3 with the smaller nav screen sd card based, Iv only had the car a few weeks
but I came from a 15 plate mk 7 golf with sd card nav and I bought 2018 maps last year -sd card through tps and installed it myself and it only took a few minutes to fully update and worked perfect, stupidly I left it when I sold the car although prob wouldn't of worked!

so iv called tps again and they said the latest update to 2019 would set me back £185+vat they didn't state
if the dealer would need to activate it and I didn't ask as I thought it would be the same as the golf???

so that's my question if anyone could help, iv read a lot on here that sd card based sat nav needs to be activated with Audi dealerships but not sure if people are guessing etc as why would vw be the opposite

although coming from vw to Audi seems like everything is an extra and kinda of a rip of a I only had a gt tdi

and it had great spec with adaptive cruise auto hold and folding mirrors standard!!

many thanks Paul

They are not guessing, the amount of info on this site should point to that!!! Audi activate it, or others like @DJAlix can activate and enable too. What message do you get when you click on the navigation button? The message will decide whether you need the sat nav enabled or just a new map SD card with activation.

That quote you got seems cheap, normal is £250 for maps and activation.

Reactions: paulo16
ok thanks mate il check in the morning what it says on the nav, yeh there's been some great threads and lots of help which is very useful- I managed to do some stuff with vag com today to get rear park display/dipped mirror/audible lock, oil temp etc, yeh I actually thought the opposite at first as I remember the golf sd was a lot less but this Audi nav is a lot better imo, I do have a garage with my dad so we use tps quite a lot so hopefully just on a good rate maybe, iv not ordered yet cause skint lol and worried if need Audi etc, il report back tomorrow cheers

Reactions: Ormesome
ok thanks mate il check in the morning what it says on the nav, yeh there's been some great threads and lots of help which is very useful- I managed to do some stuff with vag com today to get rear park display/dipped mirror/audible lock, oil temp etc, yeh I actually thought the opposite at first as I remember the golf sd was a lot less but this Audi nav is a lot better imo, I do have a garage with my dad so we use tps quite a lot so hopefully just on a good rate maybe, iv not ordered yet cause skint lol and worried if need Audi etc, il report back tomorrow cheers

I was the same as you when I 1st got an Audi, had a Scirroco and Golf before and had no problems downloading software and installing it. Audi is the 1st company i have come across with component protection/software locking. Makes sense in a way but its a pain really. Hopefully you wont have the message along the lines of "gps not enabled". If you do then its around 500pounds as the sat nav feature will need unlocking! fingers crossed! 250 isnt too much to pay for integrated maps but i regret paying 500 for mine!

yeh seems very intense but I couldnt quite afford an bmw m2 that I wanted originally lol, I do have a working sat nav just its 2015 maps and I do quite a bit of driving etc so figurged if paying loads for the car may as well update the maps to latests 2019 version, so was thinking just pull the sd card out the glovebox and insert the new, but when I was reading another thread I was getting the idea just to even update to the newer year would involve Audi dealership visit etc, I had an Audi a1 that was not sd card based and needed the whole Audi £500 which I refused to pay cause knew was not keeping the car long

Reactions: Ormesome
yeh seems very intense but I couldnt quite afford an bmw m2 that I wanted originally lol, I do have a working sat nav just its 2015 maps and I do quite a bit of driving etc so figurged if paying loads for the car may as well update the maps to latests 2019 version, so was thinking just pull the sd card out the glovebox and insert the new, but when I was reading another thread I was getting the idea just to even update to the newer year would involve Audi dealership visit etc, I had an Audi a1 that was not sd card based and needed the whole Audi £500 which I refused to pay cause knew was not keeping the car long

Ah ok fair enough. You're looking at around £250ish I think for the new maps and pairing to your car. Dealer or @DJAlix if your around his location. No other way around it.

ok thanks for your help iv sent him a message but I think he's London and I'm Bristol so hopefully I might be able to do it my end on vcds if need be
if that's how he does it etc, ps like the Audi what have you got ? got a love a white car with snow on it lol

Ah ok fair enough. You're looking at around £250ish I think for the new maps and pairing to your car. Dealer or @DJAlix if your around his location. No other way around it.

Hi I also have this problem, however I don’t know if I have a working sat nav without maps?

I have Bluetooth and I am able to connect for calls and I can listen to music via YouTube or Tubidy app. I can also listen to music with cd.

on the system I can select and scroll through everything apart from NAV.
When I select it the message NAVIGATION ENABLED
comes on the screen.
I have been given a price by Audi of £595.

Can anyone advise what options I have please.

I am new to Audi also previously had golf.

Audi A3 Sportback tdfi 3 door black 64 plate.

any help great fully received

Attachments

• 18CB7AE1-6C67-43D5-BC7F-1B207AF0BDAB.jpeg
    18CB7AE1-6C67-43D5-BC7F-1B207AF0BDAB.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 243
Seems like you have no maps installed. do you have an SD card in the MMI system in the glovebox? 595 seems like the price to activate the sat-nav function and also maps, i bought maps for 250. If your sat nav is enabled then your quote is wrong.

Thanks for replying.

No I don’t have the SD card. Where would I be able to purchase the SD card for the NAV?

Thanks for replying.

No I don’t have the SD card. Where would I be able to purchase the SD card for the NAV?
When you select navigation what message is displayed on your screen, not enabled or please insert navigation data?

When you select navigation what message is displayed on your screen, not enabled or please insert navigation data?
Hi the message when I switch to NAV
is Navigation not enabled.
Everything else seems to be working.

I have sent a private message.

thank you

thank you

Well that changes all the advice above! You stated that the message was “navigation enabled!! The quote Audi gave you is correct. You need the function enabled which is around 250-300 and then maps which are the same price.

Well that changes all the advice above! You stated that the message was “navigation enabled!! The quote Audi gave you is correct. You need the function enabled which is around 250-300 and then maps which are the same price.

I have just realised the error in my posts...

I was told that 1st owner had Navigation, would it deactivate or once its done that would be it?

thank you
Navigation not enabled means you need the following:

1) a Navigation Feature Licence activation
2) a Navigation Data Licence activation (SD Card Maps)

Pricing ranges from £400 to £560 approx. Can quote if you send me a VIN number.

Sorry to hijack the post OP but can I update my maps? My car is a 150 NAV so i already have a working nav system but my maps are from 2016 from when the car was made. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hijack the post OP but can I update my maps? My car is a 150 NAV so i already have a working nav system but my maps are from 2016 from when the car was made. Thanks in advance.
If you have working Navigation, with maps data on an SD card, then yes. You would need to source a new Data card and activation document and then have it activated. Approx cost from myself is £265.00.