SD Card Memory Limit in RNS-E?????

jaydav2306

Reaction score
Anyone know? Not a new one but from an 09 S3, whats the limit on the SD card? Also noticed SD HC no worky

Or more accurately, the earlier ones will take ANY SIZE of SD card, but don't recognize SDHC cards.

Since the memory address limitation on non-HC cards is 4GB, this means that you'll only ever find them in 4GB and lower... and usually 4GB cards are HC, so the most common sizes you'll find are 2GB and smaller.

However, since there's a limit to the number of files/folders that the RNS-E can recognise/count (I forget what it is at the moment) if your music files are all 128kb/s and 3-4 minutes long, you're likely to run into the file-folder limit way before you reach 2GB.

For that reason (and the fact that 128kbps sounds like steaming shi'ite to me!) I use 4GB cards and record everything at 320kbps (on my Mk1 RNS-E) and that just about meets the limit. -If I used lower sample rates, I'd hit the file/folder limit sooner.

SDHC adds more memory address lines, so can go to a larger capacity. -I understand that with the newer ones there may be a higher file/folder restriction... You'll have to read the manual to find out the details though, since I don't have a Mk2.

Keef

I have something like 6500 songs in 500 folders on the 32gb card in my Mk2 unit so I don't think there is a limit. If you use the playlists it will only read the first 99 songs in each playlist - that's the only limitation I know of.

Reactions: shaksq
Im the same. I have over 3000 on my 32gb in 320kbps.

Im sure I had just under 1000 when I had my old A3 with the MK1 unit in it. Never had any limits.