SD Card issues!

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Well I caved in a bought an SD card to put all my music on, on the recommendation of others on here.

What a blooming waste of time!

The SD card only plays artists and will not organise into the playlists that I created on the card!! Soooo annoying! One use and I won't be using again!!!

There's a way to put it into folders. When you select sd1 I believe you select the mmi controller to the right and it'll come up with artists folders etc etc

What size and what speed card do you have?

I have a SanDisk Ultra 128 GB SDXC Class 10 Memory Card up to 80 Mbps. I have 9,000 odd tracks on it, divided alphabetically by artist. One folder for each letter. I have the Tech pack with the MMI Plus.

I did have an issue where I tried to include quite a few playlists on the same card (and with those included I had used up about 100Gb). With the playlists on the same card as the tracks, the playlists worked fine but the MMI wouldn't recognise some of the artist letter folders. I've figured that although the handbook says that the system can handle SD cards up to 128Gb, 9,000 songs AND playlists was a step too far. There are directory limits (from memory 1,000 tracks per folder) but by splitting the artists up by letter I don't get anywhere near that in each artist folder.

I have copied about 1,200 tracks onto the inbuilt jukebox. When I get around to it, I'll buy another identical card for the 2nd SD slot and have only playlists on that: but given that the system allows you to easily search artists or tracks from the existing card and then Play "similar music to" the track you've picked, I haven't missed bespoke playlists at all.

To correct my post above. When in sd1 media part. Use the mmi controller and click to the left should come up with a selection of folders artists tracks etc etc

I have a A4 which I got about a month ago, previously a A3, that had a SD card, but only played Artist as you describe and playlists (I created on a PC using Windows Media Player), but on the A4 selection is by album/track/artist/genre etc and it also plays back the playlists. I do have the technology pack

I have the Sandisk Ultra 128GB. No amount of fettling will allow me to play anything other than artists tracks!!!

I have the Sandisk Ultra 128GB. No amount of fettling will allow me to play anything other than artists tracks!!!
I will send you a picture of how I did mine tomorrow mate. I've got two sd cards one 16gb and one 64gb SanDisk sdhc

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I'm sure you've tried this already @ScottishA4B9 but in case you haven't, within MMI there is a menu which is called something like 'reset to factory settings'. There is a list of the various things you can reset. If you tick 'Media' ONLY, with the SD card removed, it will reset the computer crap that will have been created when you tried to load the SD card. Reset it, insert your card and wait (perhaps for a long time depending on the amount of tracks on the card) for the contents to be recognised. When I was having issues, that certainly worked for me.

Reactions: iambu
I have the same 128gb sandisk micro sd purchased from amazon when they were on offer. Weirdly the microsd works fine when inserted into a USB reader and my spare port under the armrest but won't recognise the card when I use an adaptor and fit it to the sd card slot!!?

The last thing I want to do is reset the MMI as it's taken me months to set the ****** thing up correctly.

Seriously, if you only check the "media" box you will not reset anything other than the SD card reader. I did it about 5 times during my trouble with it and there were no adverse consequences at all.

Here are the pictures showing mine as folders. On the mmi controller the left button next to the controller when you are scrolling through should allow you change how you want the tracks to lay out as shown in picture 1 and 2

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I found playlist option but it dies t work properly on mine and still puts all the songs in a random order! It's annoying as I spent ages putting all the songs in the orders I like!