SD Card format..

bcal707

Reaction score
I have a A5 Coupe and decided to transfer some music to SD cards, having already purchased some cards I set too to copy music from iTunes & CD but when I come to play them in the car most albums only play one or two tracks, and some play none. If I play these SD card albums on any other machine P.C,iPod, CD they all work fine, so should the music be transferred to SD cards in a different format, or is there a secret to this that I am not aware off ??
John.

My A4 B8 should be just about the same as your A5 and I just drop MP3s onto the card and I have never had a problem with them. There must be a problem with the card reader as you have already tried the card in another reader. Sorry sounds like a visit to the dealer!

I think I have solved my own question !! It appears songs that are downloaded from CD to iTunes and songs downloaded directly from iTunes are recorded in MP4 format, I changed the SD card to FAT 32 and converted all the music I wanted to download to the card to MP3 format, and it appears all works fine now. The only thing I don't know for sure is the max size SD card you can use, I have only used 1gb cards and they hold approx 15 albums each with about 15 tracks .

... The only thing I don't know for sure is the max size SD card you can use, I have only used 1gb cards and they hold approx 15 albums each with about 15 tracks .

My understanding is that the reader in the car is SDHC format, and I have heard tell of folks using 32Gb cards with no problem. There may be an issue with card capacity and MMI version though (max amount of titles / folders), so you might need to get some advice on that, as 32Gb cards are still quite expensive.