Screw in tyre

Av4nt

Reaction score
So I noticed a screw in my front tyre yesterday.. it was small and it was embedded in such a way that it wasnt making contact with the road so impossible to tell whether it had been there for a length of time.

So the AA mechanic friend I happened to be with got out his handy little puncture seal kit. Have you ever seen these?
They are little rubber mushroom shaped jobbies that they fire through the hole in the tyre and the air pressure forces it to seal from the inside. Anyone had this done before?

This is a temp fix as apparently garages can also do a similar thing but from the inside and glue it so it is a proper seal without having to buy a new tyre... as the hole is so small and the tyre has 5mm tread, i'd rather not buy a new front set.

The moneybags and cynics amongst us will undoubtedly just buy new tyres but... has anyone had this done?

So I noticed a screw in my front tyre yesterday.. it was small and it was embedded in such a way that it wasnt making contact with the road so impossible to tell whether it had been there for a length of time.

So the AA mechanic friend I happened to be with got out his handy little puncture seal kit. Have you ever seen these?
They are little rubber mushroom shaped jobbies that they fire through the hole in the tyre and the air pressure forces it to seal from the inside. Anyone had this done before?

This is a temp fix as apparently garages can also do a similar thing but from the inside and glue it so it is a proper seal without having to buy a new tyre... as the hole is so small and the tyre has 5mm tread, i'd rather not buy a new front set.

The moneybags and cynics amongst us will undoubtedly just buy new tyres but... has anyone had this done?

Yes Mate, they cost 20 quid up here. I use them on my winter tyres when you don't drive North of 70mph....however, I would be very careful driving at Audi A4 UK speeds with a repaired tyre. If you can afford to avoid the risk.....I would replace the tyre....and if you have a Quattro that means two of course.

BR
A

Reparationssats, däck - Biltema

Yes Mate, they cost 20 quid up here. I use them on my winter tyres when you don't drive North of 70mph....however, I would be very careful driving at Audi A4 UK speeds with a repaired tyre. If you can afford to avoid the risk.....I would replace the tyre....and if you have a Quattro that means two of course.

BR
A

Reparationssats, däck - Biltema

Luckily, no quattro. But wil have to wait until after service as thats gonna cost enough! Thanks for reply tho ill keep the speed down lol

Ive used the glue stick type tyre repair set up many times always successful, the whole kit costs a tenner and can do 5 tyres, some of the repaired ones have done double the limit!
Bets of all it takes minutes, wheel off car, deflate tyre, bradle the hole, apply glue to the stringy bit, use tool to put it in the hole, inflate tyre, trim of excess string, refit wheel job done.
Great to carry in the car as you can fix simple puncture anywhere
Just like this one PUNCTURE REPAIR KIT MOTORBIKE BRANSON 50CC BS 50 Sting 08 | eBay

Having two new Eagle F1's fitted tomorrow to the front. The AA temp fix certainlly works a treat tho